Leaving factory Key Fob in the car and using aftermarket remote to start?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Okay, other than the risk of the car getting stolen, here'w my proposal. What factors am I leaving out...

The advanced key on on my 2020 is ridiculously big. I got an after market remote that is about the size of 2 quarters.
IMG_20200701_190949.jpg

So what I have been doing is leaving the Mazda key in the car, tucked away somewhere, and just use the remote to start the car - it can also unlock it. A small annoyance is that you can't lock the car with the key inside unless you use the manual lever on the door.

Anything I'm missing other than the aforementioned theft risk?

I think I recall reading somewhere that if the key is left in the car for period (like 1/2 hour or such) the security system will log it out so someone can’t open the car. I believe that using the lock/unlock buttons wakes it up. Go through the manual and see if it’s in there. You can test it and see how it acts, but I’d have the other fob handy just in case.

I've confirmed 2 things. It starts and runs fine after being parked overnight. And there's no way that I've found where I can lock the doors, but I'm mostly okay with that when I don't need to

Yeah, not a good idea. It's one thing to leave your car unlocked, it's quite another to leave the key in it - oops. Prolly' not a good idea

Back