Leather steering wheel?

blizzard

:
02 Protg 5
Did any Protege5's come with a leather steering wheel? Does any other car share the same steering wheel (with the cruise control buttons off to the right)?

If there is one that is like ours except leather where could I find one? I guess I could check the junk yards around?!?!

Cheers.

No one has put a leather steering wheel in their car?

Please help, this is really bothering me!!!!!

Cheers.

My 2003 came stock with a leather wheel and shift knob. I also have leather seats, but think the wheel and knob are standard equipment and not options.

All have leather wheels, 2003's have leather knob and 2003/03.5's had optional leather int.

Not true, not all P5's have leather steering wheels. Mine does not, it's a mid year 2002. My parents, lazer blue Pro does. I believe that the CehNehDeh models after late 2002 come with them. Sorry dude. SOL. I wish I had one too. My parents also got a leather shift knob...which I..uh..'borrowed'...Hehe.

Hm, my friends 02 P5 looks exactly the same....

Oh, well. There the answer though. Find an 03 protege....

Mike R said:
Hm, my friends 02 P5 looks exactly the same....

Oh, well. There the answer though. Find an 03 protege....

That is cool!!! I had not idea that the '03 models came with the leather wheel!!! Mine is most definitely NOT leather!!!!

Time to call the local wreckers...

Thanks everyone.

Cheers.

BTW, anyone installed an aftermarket one and want to get rid of their stock leather one? Slim chance in Hell right :D

Cheers.

PS Will post a WTB!!

I have a very early '02 P5... Leather wrapped wheel, originally a plastic knob... You could get a leather wrapped one from another Protege, or from Momo, if you felt so inclined, though!

http://www.car-part.com/

Go there, and do a search. You'll find the places phone number in the listing, and you can give them a ring, and ask them if it's the stitched, leather wrapped wheel. If you felt so inclined, you could also get the dual-tone leather one from the Mazdaspeed Protege.

I guess Canada didn't get leather for the earlier P5 years...

My 02 P5 has leather steering wheel.

My 02 came with a leather steering wheel. I thought it was standard on all Pro5's.

Ya mines leather too, and my P5 was originally registered in 01. So i also thought they were standard

Mike R said:
All have leather wheels, 2003's have leather knob and 2003/03.5's had optional leather int.

Mike R is right. Mine is a 2002 and it has a leather wheel. I was selling them for the Mazda dealer at the time I sold it to myself (does that make sense?) and I know for a fact that leather steering wheels were standard all years, and leather interior was available in 2003. Canadian models may be different, but that is the way US models were/are.

The Canadian 2002 Protege5 did not come with leather steering wheel however the US model did. But the 2003 Canadian model did. We really shouldn't complain the US models did not come with black housing headlights in any model. Furthermore Canadian models received simulated CF power window switch surrounds while US models did not. Although US models got a free roof rack while we had to pay for one. So we each got something or other.

Thanks

Thank you all for your informative replies!

I can assure you that my steering wheel is NOT leather!!! I wish it were:

steer1.jpg

steer.jpg

Sorry about the angle, the wheel locked, and I didn't have my keys.

Any way, I hope I have solved the problem. I found a steering wheel at "Aaron's Auto" in NY. I had is shipped this morning!! The only thing that I am concerned about was that the fellow there said it was "kinda grey". So I said, "you mean grey at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and black everywhere else?" And he said, "No, it's be the same colour everywhere. Maybe it's black, it just looked kinda grey!" So, I hope I get a Protege5 wheel!! And it better be black, and leather finished!!!!

I will let everyone know how I make out!

Thanks again.

PS thanks to flat_black for the car-part.com link. That's where I got the phone number for Aaron's Auto from! (cool)

Back