Leaking (2018 CX-5 Touring)

:
2018 CX-5 Touring AWD
My car is leaking from the front, right (passenger) side. It's a greenish-looking fluid and it's leaking a lot. I'd see my car leak sometimes but it usually was after having the AC on and I thought it was some kind of condensation, however, I did not have the AC on this morning. I noticed this after I got to work. What is this? Should I be concerned? Thank you.

leak.jpg

Solution
UPDATE:

So this happened a week ago, last Friday. I called the dealer and they gave me an appointment for the following day, Saturday. I took the car to the dealer and explain to them about the leaking and showed them some pictures I had taken. They also agreed that it must be the coolant. "Luckily," the car started leaking when I was at the dealer and they could see what I was dealing with. After giving it a good inspection, they found that the radiator had a tiny hole which was causing the leak. How that hole got there, they couldn't tell. Anyway, I told them (and they knew) that I had just had the car serviced there in January and that my 3-year warranty had just expired in that same month. I left the car there over the...
That should be covered by warranty, it's your coolant leaking, so make sure to check coolant level before driving to the dealer. Most likely a hose is not sealing properly, but it could be a punctured radiator as well ... Is it a little sticky when you touch between fingers? Your brake fluid would be a yellow color I believe and slippery.

Upvote 0
That should be covered by warranty, it's your coolant leaking, so make sure to check coolant level before driving to the dealer. Most likely a hose is not sealing properly, but it could be a punctured radiator as well ... Is it a little sticky when you touch between fingers? Your brake fluid would be a yellow color I believe and slippery.
I haven't touched it. The car was just serviced in January, they change the oil and all the fluids and they didn't tell me that there was something wrong with the car. They would have seen it, right? My car is over 3 years old, is it still covered by warranty?

Upvote 0
That looks like coolant and a lot of it. I'd be hesitant to drive it until I know what it is and if there's sufficient coolant in the radiator.

Upvote 0
Maybe there was too much and the pressure cap released although this looks like it's more than that. I would check your level, top up and visit the dealer right away. You could always call and ask them if it would be covered but it should even under powertrain I would think ...

Upvote 0
My car is leaking from the front, right (passenger) side. It's a greenish-looking fluid and it's leaking a lot. I'd see my car leak sometimes but it usually was after having the AC on and I thought it was some kind of condensation, however, I did not have the AC on this morning. I noticed this after I got to work. What is this? Should I be concerned? Thank you.

View attachment 296933
You have a 2018 CX-5 Touring and it’s out of new car warranty (over 3 years old)? How many miles on it?

I agree with others, it looks like engine coolant. You should have lost plenty of coolant as the coolant has overflowed the undercover. Check your coolant level ASAP. If the coolant expansion tank is empty, open the radiator cap when the engine is COLD and see if there’s any coolant in radiator. Add distilled water if you don’t have Mazda genuine FL22 coolant and take the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer and ask the same question: why they didn’t see anything wrong last time you went in for maintenance? You said the dealer had changed “all” fluids, did they change engine coolant too?

Mazda’s 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty covers the following:

368A38C7-9087-4648-B3D0-A6C90FEBCE75.jpeg

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

So this happened a week ago, last Friday. I called the dealer and they gave me an appointment for the following day, Saturday. I took the car to the dealer and explain to them about the leaking and showed them some pictures I had taken. They also agreed that it must be the coolant. "Luckily," the car started leaking when I was at the dealer and they could see what I was dealing with. After giving it a good inspection, they found that the radiator had a tiny hole which was causing the leak. How that hole got there, they couldn't tell. Anyway, I told them (and they knew) that I had just had the car serviced there in January and that my 3-year warranty had just expired in that same month. I left the car there over the weekend and they told me they would contact Mazda first thing Monday morning and try to have them cover the repair with the warranty. Monday came and they told me that Mazda would not cover the repair ... but the dealer would! Long story short, I got my car back on Wednesday. They replaced the radiator and I didn't have to pay a penny (not even to replace the gas in the loaner car I got)!

Upvote 0
Solution
UPDATE:

So this happened a week ago, last Friday. I called the dealer and they gave me an appointment for the following day, Saturday. I took the car to the dealer and explain to them about the leaking and showed them some pictures I had taken. They also agreed that it must be the coolant. "Luckily," the car started leaking when I was at the dealer and they could see what I was dealing with. After giving it a good inspection, they found that the radiator had a tiny hole which was causing the leak. How that hole got there, they couldn't tell. Anyway, I told them (and they knew) that I had just had the car serviced there in January and that my 3-year warranty had just expired in that same month. I left the car there over the weekend and they told me they would contact Mazda first thing Monday morning and try to have them cover the repair with the warranty. Monday came and they told me that Mazda would not cover the repair ... but the dealer would! Long story short, I got my car back on Wednesday. They replaced the radiator and I didn't have to pay a penny (not even to replace the gas in the loaner car I got)!
Not many dealers would do this for totally free if the car manufacture refuses to cover the failed radiator when the new car warranty is out. Usually the best dealer would cover partial, and the owner would need to pay some. Great dealer! And thanks for the update!

Upvote 0
Sounds too good to be true as nothing is ever free. Did you spend a lot during your Jan service? Lol

Also.. Did the service order actually stated N/C?

Upvote 0
Sounds too good to be true as nothing is ever free. Did you spend a lot during your Jan service? Lol

Also.. Did the service order actually stated N/C?
They service my car there and obviously they want to keep me as a customer.

No, the service order did not say N/C, it said $0.00.

Upvote 0
They service my car there and obviously they want to keep me as a customer.

No, the service order did not say N/C, it said $0.00.
Out of curiosity, do you mind to list the parts (part numbers including the FL22 coolant) the dealer replaced on the invoice?

Upvote 0
I stand corrected, in some parts it says "N/C" and in others "0.00" for what that's worth.

Here's the order form:

View attachment 297145
PYFW-15-200 Radiator - Mazda MSRP: $300.80
0000-77-508F-20 Genuine Mazda Coolant FL22 MSRP $25.32

So you saved at least $350+ on parts alone. I wonder what the “DSA” repair means?

Upvote 0
One of the results when I google “mazda dsa goodwill” is a link to a BMW document that identifies DSA as dealer self authorized. So maybe that’s what it means for Mazda also?

Upvote 0
One of the results when I google “mazda dsa goodwill” is a link to a BMW document that identifies DSA as dealer self authorized. So maybe that’s what it means for Mazda also?
Makes sense. It was the dealer who decided to do it for me free of charge.

Upvote 0
Makes sense. It was the dealer who decided to do it for me free of charge.
This means maintaining a good relationship with a good dealer sometimes may get a good favor from them when needed.

Upvote 0
Back