lawn mower sound after cabin air filter change =(

halloo

:
cx9
I went to get an oil change today and the place changing the oil also checked my cabin air filter. They showed it to me and said that I should change it since it was really dirty.. and it was. So I drive to autozone and get an air filter. I change it myself, turn the AC unit on to admire the work I did and now there is a vibrating / lawnmower sound when I turn the AC to MAX. The sound isnt REALLY loud.. but its definitely audible when the AC on max. Changing the air filter is pretty straight forward. You open the glove compartment, pop off the cover, remove another white cover for the cabin air filter and replace. Its a little hard to localize the sound but it sounds like its coming from the passenger side middle...where under where dash meets the Glass. I cant think of anyone fudging up replacing the air filter on the CX9 but I dont think I did it. I'd like to find blame in someone since i'm only human but it would be hard for me to place blame at the place that changed my oil.

Its my wife's car but she said she's NEVER hear that noise before. Any thoughts on what it could be? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sounds like a leaf fell down into the blower motor directly under the cabin filter. You may need to remove the blower motor to remove it if you can't get it through the filter opening.

Could it be in upside down? or maybe some debris fell down into the fan when removing the old filter? Just some thoughts.

Sounds like a leaf fell down into the blower motor directly under the cabin filter. You may need to remove the blower motor to remove it if you can't get it through the filter opening.

Is this hard to do? I took the plastic panels off yesterday to see if I can see where the noise is comming from... but I didnt think about taking the actual blower out.

There is a panel that covers the blower motor directly above the passenger foot well, it pops off. Three screws and an electrical connector, and the harness is secured with a clip to the motor housing. It drops out fairly easily.

Thanks for all the input. My issue has been solved. I started to think that whatever made it up the vent must be light and soft... like a leaf or something.. so on a 20 minute drive today, I blasted the AC in hopes that whatever debris went up the vent will eventually wear our with all the flapping its doing. Sure enough.. after about 20 minutes, the sound went away.

Back