KSport control pro coilovers, what are y'alls thoughts?

:
08 MZ3 & 02 P5
Hey, Y'all I just bought myself a Yellow 2002 Protegé5 on monday, the only real issue is it has all but shot rear shocks/struts, I would rather put in the money now and get coilovers because I would be doing so soon anyway, so far, I'm looking at the KSport control pro coilovers. My question is, any absolute no's to these coilovers, they are $850 plus tax and shipping, and adjustable damping and height and bolt in to stock mounts. And if anyone has suggestions on other coils I am open to them. Thanks.

Brands that are pretty tried and true for this platform include Ksport, YellowSpeed and BC coilovers. There's also Tein SS's but they're more expensive and require you to use your stock top hats. Can't really go wrong with any of them. Just be warned coilovers may ride a little rough. Everyone has a different tolerance to suspension stiffness. There's also D2 but I don't hear much about them (doesn't mean they're bad but I have no personal experience). I personally run BC coils and am pretty happy with them with 8k/6k spring rates.

More than likely, you'll need new sway bar end-links too.

Thank you, I was looking around with not just protege reviews and people said that the Ksport struts have a tendency to break easily and I am a broke college student so I think I am going to go with the BCs like you say you have as with shipping and tax they come out to almost the same price and BC provides end-link with theirs. My old car has $80 ebay springs so I am more than used to a rough ride but I think for now I will likely keep them at the soft side of dampening.

I had BC coilovers with Swift springs on my IS250 and they were perfect for that car, firm and sporty but still comfortable. Pretty reliable too, my city doesn't have the best roads and it gets stupid cold in the winter (usually -30c, sometimes getting as cold as -45c for a couple of days at a time). They were perfectly fine when I sold the car.

I don't have the cold problem as I live in Texas but the bumpy road knowledge is nice that is the main reason the current shocks have to go. Thanks.

Hi, I wanted to update this down the road a bit, I ended up going with the BC BR series (the only P5 specific type) and aside from some problems on my end the install went well. I did almost the entire rear suspension as well as the coils and it ended up taking about a week because of parts and shipping delays but that was unrelated to the coils. Specific to the coilovers, so far I have loved them, I keep them relatively close to soft (about 7 clicks on all four) and the ride comfort is great and still has nice handling. I have yet to do any formal "spirited driving" so I can't speak much to that regard but they feel great and the adjustability goes from almost squishy on the soft end to basically a rock on the hard end so anything you could want is somewhere in there.

I do however have a slight problem with the lowering aspect, it would be fine but I have (nc, I think) miata wheels that have an insanely high +55 offset and it severely limits how much height adjustability I have because it begins to rub on the suspension, I bought spacers to hopefully alleviate the problem but have yet to have a chance to install them.

Driving wise I drove to my grandparents and then to my college shortly after installing them which totaled about 6-7 hours in two days and I never had any problems.

Once I finish the rest of my install (I am going to do the spacers and roll the fenders to be safe) I'll post a brief update and try to include some photos.
Edit: Spelling, grammar, etc

Subbing for pics still to come. On the fence with these and k-sports. learned today that ksport is owned by d2 but d2 is operated out of asia, so maybe a global branding?

I'm running ksports right now, in the future I will probably go with bc or fortune's.
I've had them on for a couple thousand miles now and I'm happy with them!
I'm a very spirited driver,I live on an island with a lot of twisties and these made a much needed improvement over stock.

I highly suggest anti seize on the threads and a proper alignment after install.

Subbing for pics still to come. On the fence with these and k-sports. learned today that ksport is owned by d2 but d2 is operated out of asia, so maybe a global branding?
The spacers I bought ended up having just too small of a center hole to fit so I haven't done those and need to reorder more but I added some pictures of what I have currently (and this is at about the top of the coilovers height range). And another brief update I've still not had a single problem (my bearings died because of a roadtrip but that's unrelated) and I still enjoy them, I stiffened them a small bit from where I had them before and they have held to the road great in all my borderline reckless driving, highway, some corners where they can be found, and surface streets.

Attachments

• 20201012_223530.jpg
    20201012_223530.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201104_182244.jpg
    20201104_182244.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20201001_143708.jpg
    20201001_143708.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 105
Back