Koeru concept : Next cx5 ?

xwedge

:
Mazda CX-5 2016 Touring AWD with Bose/Tech
What do you guys think about the new Koeru concept that just debuted in frankfurt? For me, I think the shape is a bit too ... curvy, almost like an infinity from certain angles. I'm really not liking the new trend where they slope the rear window so much that you lose cargo space and create an even larger blindspot. I guess it does look quite upscale.

http://www.cnet.com/news/mazda-debuts-koeru-concept-in-frankfurt/

Here is Mazda's press release on the Koeru:http://www.mazdausamedia.com/2015-09-14-Frankfurt-Motor-Show-2015-Press-Kit#assets_112:24069
Because it dimensionally very similar to the current CX-5, there is a strong possibility that it is the next-gen of that vehicle rather than the CX-9 as many have surmised. Here are the relevant stats:

Exterior Dimensions

KOERU CX-5
Wheelbase (mm) 2,700 2,700
Length (mm) 4,600 4,555
Width (mm) 1,900 1,840
Height (mm) 1,500 1,670

Yes, I think that your are looking at a first release of the next styling cues that will be used on the 2018 CX-5.

I priced out the tires that are on it...265/45/21 Looks like they run between $275-$400 each! (boom04)

Last edited:
Or it could be a new model on its own provided it has a ton of horsepower to distinguish itself from the CX-5...and intended to steal sales from BMW and MB.

Looks tight. Seems like more of a bmw x6 contemporary. I would expect a larger motor or the 2.5g turbo supposedly in the cx9

I would actually like to see an outdoor-oriented compact SUV, modernized. There are too many street-oriented crossovers that look similar.

I like it.

I wonder if they are using some noise cancellation tech?

"The Mazda KOERU is significantly quieter and more relaxing due to Mazda’s breakthrough NVH technology that thoroughly quells noise and vibration path. Those technologies deliver high-quality, amazingly refined driving not offered by the existing crossover vehicles on the market today.

Here is Mazda's press release on the Koeru:http://www.mazdausamedia.com/2015-09-14-Frankfurt-Motor-Show-2015-Press-Kit#assets_112:24069
Because it dimensionally very similar to the current CX-5, there is a strong possibility that it is the next-gen of that vehicle rather than the CX-9 as many have surmised. Here are the relevant stats:

Exterior Dimensions

KOERU CX-5
Wheelbase (mm) 2,700 2,700
Length (mm) 4,600 4,555
Width (mm) 1,900 1,840
Height (mm) 1,500 1,670

Since it's a concept it may be more of a stylistic pathfinder for a crossover - meaning this exact vehicle may not enter production - it could be stretched in ways for a CX-9 and modified for a cx-5 for production and market reasons. The roofline seems a little low for cargo purposes.

Some more pics here

mazda-koeru-concept-live-front-three-quarter-2.jpg

mazda-koeru-concept-front-three-quarter-01.jpg

mazda-koeru-concept-live-front-three-quarter-3.jpg

mazda-koeru-concept-live-rear-three-quarter-close.jpg

Mazda needs to step it up with the 17 CX-5. The 2017 Tiguan is really looking good and loaded with lots of technology and I believe the 2017 Forester is also due for a major refresh.

Small windows especially in back make this crap. Concepts have great wheels always, but those never make it to production vehicles.

Nice to look at perhaps, but claustrophobic inside for sure.

The 2017 Tiguan is really looking good and loaded with lots of technology and I believe the 2017 Forester is also due for a major refresh.

I'm a big fan of VW historically, my mom drove a 1962 Beetle the first 4 years of my life and I can still remember how fresh it smelled inside and how everything, right up to the headliner, seemed to be made of higher quality materials than other available cars. I've personally owned a 1972 beetle, 1972 VW Van, 1978 VW Rabbit and a 1993 VW Eurovan, all good, reliable fun cars in their day.

But all you have to do is test-drive the VW Tiguan to know it's not much competition to the CX-5. It does not drive like it should (considering it's a VW). I do like the quality feel and design of the interior but that's not going to make up for it's driving dynamics. And neither is it's technology. Because, at it's heart, it's still a car. And what do you do with a car? You drive them.

Everyone seems to be reporting on that new 2.5L Skyactiv Turbo motor...really curious to see if it really makes it to production.

Back