Knocking sound while braking

Qcpro5

:
2002 Proteg 5
I just changed both front discs and pads with new ones, all is fine and braking is excellent.

The problem is after a day or two, i noticed a loud enough knocking when i slam on the brakes like decreasing as i'm nearing a stop. It does not do it everytime i brake though.

Can't tell if it is coming from front or back. Does it have to do with the calipers? I noticed they were getting jammed but did not have the tools to get to them...

any insight on this?

Did you torque your wheels?

Did you tighten down the bolt that holds the caliper assembly? You would've removed it to access the rotor.

Probably a caliper issue. I had to replace all four after this winter. The salt just kills them....

I just changed both front discs and pads with new ones, all is fine and braking is excellent.

The problem is after a day or two, i noticed a loud enough knocking when i slam on the brakes like decreasing as i'm nearing a stop. It does not do it everytime i brake though.

Can't tell if it is coming from front or back. Does it have to do with the calipers? I noticed they were getting jammed but did not have the tools to get to them...

any insight on this?

I had the same exact problem after I changed my brake pads and disks. It ended up being that there was rust between the front rotors and the wheel hub itself, so that the rotor was not sitting perfectly flush. The old rotors were rusted on, and once they were taken off some rust was still stuck on. I had to take off the old front rotors and clean off the rust. I used a hammer and flathead screwdriver to pound the larger flakes off, and then used a wire brush and drill to get it looking brand new. After that the knocking sound went away.

I'm thinking I need a caliper clean up and greasing. I hear it's good to do it once a year on all four so youd don't get to change them like MTV did.

Anyway, the problem went away by itself now so that's fun, think it was a rust issue like MP3Performance mentioned.

Thanks.

Mine used to make a knocking sound as I slowed to a stop, that was at about 40K miles. I couldn't feel any pulsing in the braking, or any feedback through the steering. After I replaced the front pads it went away and never came back. The wheels could have been unevenly torqued or some inconsistency between the pad or caliper and the rotor. I never figured anything else out. I have 65K now and the rotors are begining to pulsate slightly, but I've given them hell so I'm not surprised.

i have a similar problem.....sometimes i get a single click noise when i apply the brakes. only happens once and awhile. dont know if its the same knocking. also over a speed bump or rough surface i get a rattle. i went underneath there and tried wiggling some stuff but cant find it. maybe its the midepipe and heatshield as mentioned above???

Look for a rock between the heatshield & body. I had one there & it drove me crazy for awhile chasing the sound.

On mine, the knock happened once with every revolution of the wheels, so at least my knock was somewhere in the wheel/rotor/brake area.
I have heard of the rock in the heat shield noise too. I probably remember you mentioning it before.

Back