2017~2024 Knock noise when braking

hello everyone, I am new here on this site. My wife and I bought a 2017 cx-5 and the car drove and rode perfectly fine then all suddenly.....

The car makes a thump or knock noise when braking into a complete stop. I thought it was the front but sounds like its coming from the rear. I dont know what it is, thought it was brakes but it not its something else. for sure its on the passenger side. It doesn't do it every time when you brake but does it often enough to annoy you.

So, was wondering if anyone had this issue before or known of this type of issue. It is getting annoying... and I do not want to deal with the dealer. i rather deal with this problem then a ton of headaches and loads of BS.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

verify properly torqued lug nuts?
something under cargo tray in the rear?

verify properly torqued lug nuts?
something under cargo tray in the rear?

I have checked the rear brakes and nothing. I have not look in the rear cargo tray.
The noise is coming from outside, i stuck my head outside and had my wife drove the car to see if i can pin point where the noise is actually from. I cant tell if its the front or rear. The knock is loud and has a thump to it like a rock just hit under neath of the vehicle and does sound like its coming from one of the passenger wheels base.

Does the car feel like it drives differently at all? This is a stretch, but you could try checking to see if there's a loose/worn suspension component (like a control arm bushing).

This link has some discussion regarding clunking noise while braking.. https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...-making-a-knocking-kind-of-sound-when-braking

i dont feel like the car drives differently. Drives good to me. And It doesnt make the thump noise When going over a bump or rough bumpy roads, just only when you brake and then once the car comes to a complete stop the noise occurs.

Some people said its the caliper pins but i have already lube the rear caliper pins. I havent got to the front yet.

some people said this happens when the weather is cold.Even after the car is warm and driven for some time. It still randomly makes that noise

Early production run 2017's had a TSB out for a clucking thud sound when going over bumps and I believe the fix was a rubber sleeve put on the top few coils of the front springs.

You mention the noise is on braking. Does it happen as well if going over a speed bump or braking hard where the weight of the car is hard down on the front end or is this noise any time you are braking? If the latter, focus in on the braking system.

Early production run 2017's had a TSB out for a clucking thud sound when going over bumps and I believe the fix was a rubber sleeve put on the top few coils of the front springs.

You mention the noise is on braking. Does it happen as well if going over a speed bump or braking hard where the weight of the car is hard down on the front end or is this noise any time you are braking? If the latter, focus in on the braking system.
I havent tried to go over a speed bump, the closet to that is maybe small pot holes but even that i have not notice any thud noise.....though i will say yes, braking hard and the weight will shift to the front then thud will occur when the car is completely stopped

@Kongster

A TSB is a acronym for Technical Service Bulletin

These are basically published documents by the manufacture that have identified a common problem with a resolution procedure/steps/parts by the manufacture.

"
Recalls should not be confused with technical service bulletins (TSBs) which are issued by the manufacturer for less serious problems that affect the normal operation of the vehicle. Sometimes called "secret warranties," TSBs cover known problems and provide repair instructions for service technicians and accordingly are distributed to all of the manufacturer's dealerships.

Unlike recall-related repairs, which are performed on a no-questions-asked basis, TSB repairs are made only to resolve problems that can be verified by dealer service technicians. And generally these repairs will be free of charge only if the vehicle is still under warranty.
"

Depending on the dealer, if you know the TSB document number and make mention of something like: "Hey the noise when I brake hard, could that be related to TSB ####?" It could help the technician look in the right direction. We all have to remember not every repair technician / service adviser has the experience of all others so a more innocent "maybe it could be this..." vs "I KNOW it is this!!!" approach works best. Nobody likes someone loud mouth telling them how they think a job should be done. Don't be a Karen.

Last edited:
@Kongster

A TSB is a acronym for Technical Service Bulletin

These are basically published documents by the manufacture that have identified a common problem with a resolution procedure/steps/parts by the manufacture.

"
Recalls should not be confused with technical service bulletins (TSBs) which are issued by the manufacturer for less serious problems that affect the normal operation of the vehicle. Sometimes called "secret warranties," TSBs cover known problems and provide repair instructions for service technicians and accordingly are distributed to all of the manufacturer's dealerships.

Unlike recall-related repairs, which are performed on a no-questions-asked basis, TSB repairs are made only to resolve problems that can be verified by dealer service technicians. And generally these repairs will be free of charge only if the vehicle is still under warranty.
"

Depending on the dealer, if you know the TSB document number and make mention of something like: "Hey the noise when I brake hard, could that be related to TSB ####?" It could help the technician look in the right direction. We all have to remember not every repair technician / service adviser has the experience of all others so a more innocent "maybe it could be this..." vs "I KNOW it is this!!!" approach works best. Nobody likes someone loud mouth telling them how they think a job should be done. Don't be a Karen.

@CX5_Driver

Thank you for the info. I totally agree with you, I understand that even though this noise is a common issue, it could be hard for a dealership technician or other shop techs to determine where its coming from and what is causing it. I also think showing the TSB #, I doubt that the technicians from the dealership will know what is it that I am talking about. It would probably literally be a cluster headache, back and forth thing ..... So in this case I would do the fix on my own. I just need to know where can I get these sleeves from and what they look like.

I will at least try to share this problem with the dealership only because my cx-5 is still under warranty. But something is telling me they will not know what im talking about. especially when this clunk noise doesn't happen every time....my wife have been driving the car and she havent complain about it making noise.

Dealership still has to confirm the clunking noise is indeed the coil slipping on the front strut bearing. Start by confirming that your VIN falls between the range of 2017-2018 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KF******353182 (produced before February 1, 2018).

Remember, this is only a TSB and not definitive action for the dealership to perform the work unless verified it is this situation.

If you do have this performed, please post back here if it indeed it fixes your problem.

Hello all, I know its been awhile but I just wanted come back and update.

The noise was not related to the suspensions. I got sick and tired of dealing with the dealership so I took the time to investigate the problem myself. The problem was the brake pads....how? well apparently the brake pads the dealership installed into the calipers were not the correct brake pads. It does have a MAZDA stamp on the pads and it also do fit into the caliper bracket but does not seat in properly meaning it was just sitting on the pad pins. Those dark areas are open. So during braking or hard braking the pads would shift up or down and hit the bracket causing a loud thump noise....after replacing the pads not a single noise when braking.....im glad I didnt bring this back to the dealership they will probably put the same pads back in and tell me they dont see anything wrong...
brake2.jpg

I feel like I'm only getting part of the story here. Have you dealt with this particular dealership before? Or is this just a general attitude you have towards dealerships in general? The reason I ask is because you mention dealing with headaches and BS, but it isn't clear if the headaches and BS came from this dealer or not. Were the pads in the picture the original brake pads?

Thanks for the update and fix. Doubt this is a common problem when using OEM replacement parts. I have heard that there are techs that will grind the ears of a brake pad to make them fit inside the shims and bracket. But why the ends of the ears and why with OEM pads? I'm sure we will never know the story.

Back