KLZE curve neck Vs. KLZE Straight neck

JSpecMx6

:
93 Mx6 LS-T
does anyone else know much about these engines on here??? i know im right on the difference between them and that the curve neck isnt a true KLZE and its the 170HP version not the 200HP version and i know my KLs... ive done too much research to not be right... im now being drovin nuts...

You're wrong the curved neck is a ze, but beware there is a us 170 hp motor. The 170 hp motor will not have the flat top pistons, it will have an egr, and will have the kl-31 heads.

The only two differences in the two motors are one has a straight neck IM and the other has a curved neck IM. The other difference is the straight neck has kl-31 cams and the curved neck has kl-01 cams. Otherwise they are completely the same. They both have kl-31 heads, they both have flat top 10.1 pistons, they both don't have egr, and they both have square intake runners.

yea i found that out today... never mind... i thought from all the research if looked through there was only 1 kind of klze that does 200hp... so im over i guess...

sorry to jump in to this thread but i have a 94 mx3 with a rebild klde that needs new heads i think im just going to drop in a klze what all do i need to do the ze im getting is comeing out of a 93 mx3 what all do i need for this mod

You're wrong the curved neck is a ze, but beware there is a us 170 hp motor. The 170 hp motor will not have the flat top pistons, it will have an egr, and will have the kl-31 heads.

The only two differences in the two motors are one has a straight neck IM and the other has a curved neck IM. The other difference is the straight neck has kl-31 cams and the curved neck has kl-01 cams. Otherwise they are completely the same. They both have kl-31 heads, they both have flat top 10.1 pistons, they both don't have egr, and they both have square intake runners.

if your saying the curve neck has kl-01 cams how does this add up 2 kl-31 cams? the lift times are different.(uhm) De C/r is 9/5/1 there is no way kl-01 cams can make 10/1/1 across the board you might want 2 reseach somemore.

Last edited:
there is no way kl-01 cams can make 10/1/1 across the board you might want 2 reseach somemore.

The cams do not effect STATIC compression, thats the number you see on all the spec lists for various cars, I could put a set of colt race grind cams in a DE and it'll still be a 9.2:1 compression motor. The DYNAMIC compression will have changed as well as the compression test readings but the only things that effect static CR are the piston and chamber.

But I do believe the other poster is wrong as I have seen countless "curve neck ZE's" that came straight off the boat with dished pistons. This issue was resolved some time ago on MX6.com.

I'm trying to find the differences between all the KLZE's too. I bought a curve neck KLZE from eBay but it so confusing. I think I have the UK Millenia motor. Square runners and no EGR on the IM but oval ports on the heads and KL-01 cams. I'm going to check the piston tops when I pull the heads off tomorrow.

I researched for a month before I bought the curve neck because I wanted the 200hp lower in the RPM. Had I know there are two types of curve necks I would've just bought a straight neck and swapped the IM. Ugh.

i dont believe any DE or ZE cam with square runners on the manifold and oval ports on the heads, sounds like the seller put a ZE curve neck manifold on a normal run of the mill DE.

I've done some research in the MX6 forum and I believe the UK Millenia motors have square intake mani runners and oval intake ports on the heads. I looked into the spark plug hole to see if it's a flat top piston or not and from what I can see, it is a flat top piston. But it's really hard to tell. I'm going to replace the head gaskets next week and will know for sure when the heads are off.

Just an update, my JDM curve-neck KL (Millenia motor) has KL-01 cams, heads, and the pistons are not flat tops. It has square intake manifold runners, but the DE oval ports on the heads.

I'm still looking to see if there is a true curve-neck KLZE with all the KL31 parts. I haven't found one yet.

i still think what you got was a US KLDE with a curve neck manifold. Just because even the US millenia motors have square port heads no oval. I know this because I use US millenia Intake manifold gaskets. Also to me what you have is in no way a ZE just because it lacks all the ZE parts(Heads, cams, Pistons.

Copied from MX6.com
Curved neck (JSPEC not USDM millenia) approx 200hp - kl01 cams
Straight neck approx 200hp - kl31 cams

Different intakes for different cars, same kl31 101/1a1 high flow heads, same flat top 10:1 pistons, different cams.

Peak power made lower with kl01s, higher with kl31s (higher lift cams). Cams are interchangeable. Kl01s were better suited to the automatics they were found in. KL31s were better suited for the jspec mx6.

I have both manifolds, both produced approximately same peak power according to the relatively accurate dynolicious.

I dont want to ruin your hopes, but i think it seems like you got ripped off by the importer/reseller of the motor. It is easy for some to just take a DE put a manifold on and sell it as a ZE. I just highly doubt what you have is all oem. Just because want manufacturer is going to have such a setup where the IM runner shape is so far different from the head port shapes.

Well there is a lot of bad info out there too, as I have found. I do believe I have a JDM Millenia motor, it's not a curve-neck KLZE.

Basically, all the "curve-neck KLZE"'s on eBay for sale are JDM Millenia motors. The Millenia was only offered with an automatic transmission, and all the curve-necks I've found had auto trannies. If someone could give me proof (actual build pictures) of a curve-neck KLZE with KL31-101 heads and flat top pistons, I'll PayPal them $5. heh-heh.

I don't think I have a USDM block with a JDM intake manifold though. There is carbon on the intake ports where the heads don't line up, so themotor was ran with the intake manifold. There is a Japanese label on the timing belt cover. The oil filter is the same you and Bullshark had on your KLZE motors. The ECU that came with the harness and motor is a JDM KLK1 Millenia ECU. And Mazda did use square runners and oval ports onthe Millenia motor. Here's a link from a cat in Norway port matching his head ports to match his IM.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, Justin. I'm just trying to help others not make the same mistake as me when they buy a JDM curve-neck and expect to get 200hp. :)

no thats fine, i did the basic research for when i chose the straight neck, and if they had a motor like that, then i think mazda was retarded for that, but hey not all manufacturers are perfect. Looking at it as if you were the manufacturer woudlnt you want at the bare minimum the ports and runner shapes to be the same. Maybe they had a reason to do it like that. It is hard to say without having a mazda engineer here just say yeah we made several variations of the DE and ZE and here they are... not trying to fight or argue either just seems weird that a manufacturer would make sure a weird combination of parts and it will be even more bizarre if you do happen to have Flat pistons. That would mean u likely have a ZE bottom end KL01 heads, and curve neck manifold making for one almost Frankenstein motor.

One good test for you will be which intermediate shaft you will have to use, since 94+ will not work on most ZE blocks from what I have seen, I had to have a friend heavily modify the bracket on my 94 mx6 shaft to bolt to the ze block. However, the 93 shaft would work just fine.So if you need a 93 mx6/probe intermediate shaft you likely have either A. a 93 us block or B. a ZE block. As far as the transmission, my ZE came from a car with an auto trans. This was identified by the flex plate spacer that was still attached to my crank when I received the motor.

I agree, Mazda is retarded for making all these mis-matched KL motors. haha! And I don't have flat top pistons like the KL31 motors.

I was trying to locate a good used 1993 tranny for my Millenia motor and ended up just buying a JDM MX-6 tranny. I saw in your build thread the differences in the intermediate shaft and how you had to weld yours. I'll check out if the intermediate shaft lines up to the block or not.

I really gotta stop calling my motor a "JDM Millenia" motor. They didn't have Millenias over there, they were Xedos8 or 9. But I'm 99% positive that's what I've got.

I lined up the bolts to the JDM MX-6 intermediate shaft to my block and they line up perfectly, so that's good. One less thing to have to track down...

You're right, Derek. My bad. It was the Xedos in Europe apparently. God, all these different branding names are so confusing... haha

And motors too. The KL is a freaking hodge-podge of parts depending on where they came from and what year. SO confusing. haha

Back