Just test drove a MS3 - I'm very sad now.

Rickman

Contributor
:
91 NA + 09 Mazda5
Well I just got back from the dealership dropping off my Miata for a clutch replacement... I called ahead to make sure they had a MS3 in stock and setup for test drives.

Anyhow, when I got there it was sitting out front all ready and willing for me. She was a black beauty of the likes I had never seen before. I walked in and asked for "Keith" the Internet sales manager. He was more than happy to show me the car and seemed genuinely interested in my Mazda history... dealers will be dealers I guess.

So, We get in and I immediately pop the clutch on purpose to test ol Keith's reaction and to set him up for a real test drive. I won't go into the details but I was happy enough with the car that I offered him my left testicle on the spot... turns out Mazda NA doesnt need anymore nuts.

So I hop into my Mazda3 sedan service loaner and start heading back to the office, all the while dreaming of my black beauty. I scarcely remember the journey back to work (This car will haunt my dreams.) Let alone get to appreciate the stock Mazda3.

I decided to try to think about something else for a while and check my email, design a business card, you know normal work stuff. But I'm too distracted and before long I find myself over that the edmunds.com payment calculators trying to figure out how to make it work. I even starting punching numbers on a lease (somebody shoot me now).

I told my wife last week (before the test drive) that I wanted a $25k car... She jokingly said "Would you rather have the car or build your garage" (we're in the process of adding on to our house). $200 more a month for this car over my current one, not to mention the insurance OR I can spend $350/mo for the cost of building my garage... which I've wanted for 5 years. Hmmm...

Regardless of the outcome, I am now officially depressed. My black beauty will be in the arms of another soon, likely very soon. I can tell she loves me too, but doesnt have the patience to wait around for me. And to all of you lucky enough to have one; I say please treat her like a lady because those of us who have to stare at you together wince at the though of the joy we're missing.

/cheesy depressed rant.

Isn't she wonderful? (ughdance) (ughdance)

Rickman said:
Well I just got back from the dealership dropping off my Miata for a clutch replacement... I called ahead to make sure they had a MS3 in stock and setup for test drives.

Anyhow, when I got there it was sitting out front all ready and willing for me. She was a black beauty of the likes I had never seen before. I walked in and asked for "Keith" the Internet sales manager. He was more than happy to show me the car and seemed genuinely interested in my Mazda history... dealers will be dealers I guess.

So, We get in and I immediately pop the clutch on purpose to test ol Keith's reaction and to set him up for a real test drive. I won't go into the details but I was happy enough with the car that I offered him my left testicle on the spot... turns out Mazda NA doesnt need anymore nuts.

So I hop into my Mazda3 sedan service loaner and start heading back to the office, all the while dreaming of my black beauty. I scarcely remember the journey back to work (This car will haunt my dreams.) Let alone get to appreciate the stock Mazda3.

I decided to try to think about something else for a while and check my email, design a business card, you know normal work stuff. But I'm too distracted and before long I find myself over that the edmunds.com payment calculators trying to figure out how to make it work. I even starting punching numbers on a lease (somebody shoot me now).

I told my wife last week (before the test drive) that I wanted a $25k car... She jokingly said "Would you rather have the car or build your garage" (we're in the process of adding on to our house). $200 more a month for this car over my current one, not to mention the insurance OR I can spend $350/mo for the cost of building my garage... which I've wanted for 5 years. Hmmm...

Regardless of the outcome, I am now officially depressed. My black beauty will be in the arms of another soon, likely very soon. I can tell she loves me too, but doesnt have the patience to wait around for me. And to all of you lucky enough to have one; I say please treat her like a lady because those of us who have to stare at you together wince at the though of the joy we're missing.

/cheesy depressed rant.

Build the garage. Insurance will go down, and the house will appreciate. Can't say the same about the car though.

I almost cried Rick. You should get it and the garage too. Spoil yourself.

Get the garage first! In a few yrs that car will be replaced and it'll look slow. But you'll still need a cool place to park it.

Build the garage....value of home>new car depreciation.

Besides you will give up that stock '3' soon for your Miata....and all of its top-down driving goodness.

offtopic - decals arrived and I will get them on tomorrow with pics...Thanks again!!

No problemo.

I do hold a glimmer of hope that I'll be happy with my miata again once the clutch is replaced. It's been bad for a month, but an ongoing issue for three.

The garage will be built, no question about it. My house has appreciated about $35k since '03 and adding a Garage and a Master bath (currently only one bath) is expected to pick it up quite a bit more.

i did the same thing when i saw the new speed3 in my c&d. i started doing the claculations on my calculator too!!! hahaha. the car is nice but they will have something better and faster in a couple years. something that is going to give us that same feeling we had when we saw our first mazdaspeed 3. good luck with the garage.

Rickman said:
No problemo.

I do hold a glimmer of hope that I'll be happy with my miata again once the clutch is replaced. It's been bad for a month, but an ongoing issue for three.

The garage will be built, no question about it. My house has appreciated about $35k since '03 and adding a Garage and a Master bath (currently only one bath) is expected to pick it up quite a bit more.

Cars will come and cars will go. But a garage can last the length of a long marriage.

Ah yes...it is a sad story indeed, and eerily familiar. As I innocently ventured into my friendly neighborhood Mazda dealership to find out if had won a CX-7 and also to qualify for a dinner and movie courtsey of Mazda with the dealer verified test drive, I spotted it. Yes it...the red Mazdaspeed 3 GT. I naturally requested a test drive. With the dealer licking his chops as he sensed my excitement, I ventured onto the roadway.

I haven't stopped thinking about the car since and I now spend way too much time, at least according to my wife, on this @#$($@# site (no offense). No, she's right I do spend too much $#%@# time on this site (again no offense). Well, long story short and a test drive later, I put down the deposit lest someone else get my Silver GT due in Febraury!

Yet, I wait in anticipation wondering if i should get the car or keep kicking it in my 96' 626, which is still working fine (115,000 miles strong). I already have the garage, but there's the $200 a week in daycare that's flying out the window, as well as student loans. Oh, I wish the car would get here already!

quiet desperado said:
Cars will come and cars will go. But a garage can last the length of a long marriage.

That is so true! Also, there will be "married" times when a garage will be a nice spot to "escape" to. (enguard)

I too am drooling constantly since the MS3 came out, and I have not even seen one in person yet.

Keep Zooming!

mazdadude said:
That is so true! Also, there will be "married" times when a garage will be a nice spot to "escape" to. (enguard)

I too am drooling constantly since the MS3 came out, and I have not even seen one in person yet.

Keep Zooming!

From a woman's (and wife's) point of view - get the garage. Keep her happy. If she's not happy, you surely won't be happy (unless you get kicked out of the house and sleep in the car ;-).

From a driver & car enthusiast's point of view - get the garage 1st. This way, once you have your new toy, you have a place to play with your new toy.

I test drove a M3 last summer and fell in love with the car. Once the salesman found out that my husband & I were both racers, he encuraged us to NOT buy the car, but rather wait until the MS3 came out. I'm glad that we listened. It was a very, very long 7 month wait, but very, VERY well worth it.

My wife is VERY supportive of me. And to be honest we have a great relationship (almost 11 years together, going on 6 years married) and we are hardly of differing opinions on anything. We're still in our first house, have no kids (yet) and both are very career oriented right now. Once I went full time with Spaz Chicken almost two years ago I never thought it would do as well as it has. She loves the fact that I told the "man" to stick it and started my own thing.

She has put up with my yearly car habit pretty well so far, and the Miata is the first car in the last 5 I've owned that I've kept for more than a year so... I must like it pretty good. Plus she thinks it's "cute".

I'll wait until we have a kid (in the next couple of years) and then get me a MS3 used w/ under 20k for under $20k (just like I did with the MSP). I don't mind used cars. Or like everyone else said, there'll be something else by then to oohh and aahh over.

-rick

Latest posts

Back