Just Purchased: 2013 CX-5

:
2013 GrT CX-5
Greetings M247, new to the forum. Please feel free to link me if this post exists anywhere but I see a lot of discussion about newer CX-5s so I'm looking to get some advice about a 2013 we just purchased.

It is a Single Owner, Grand Touring AWD, with 94k miles and we picked it up for $13k OTD. We love the car and are okay with the underpowered engine.

We are new to Mazdas and we're wondering what kind of issues or maintenance we should be looking out for on the horizon. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greetings M247, new to the forum. Please feel free to link me if this post exists anywhere but I see a lot of discussion about newer CX-5s so I'm looking to get some advice about a 2013 we just purchased.

It is a Single Owner, Grand Touring AWD, with 94k miles and we picked it up for $13k OTD. We love the car and are okay with the underpowered engine.

We are new to Mazdas and we're wondering what kind of issues or maintenance we should be looking out for on the horizon. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Congrats!

Things to look out: oil change、ATF change、front transfer case and rear differential gear lube change、spark plugs change (if not changed)、belt tensioner leak check and change、serpentine belt and water pump belt change; and check possible oil leaks on valve cover、oil control valve、timing chain cover、and engine oil pan etc.

Congrats!

Things to look out: oil change、ATF change、front transfer case and rear differential gear lube change、spark plugs change (if not changed)、belt tensioner leak check and change、serpentine belt and water pump belt change; and check possible oil leaks on valve cover、oil control valve、timing chain cover、and engine oil pan etc.
Excellent! Thanks for the info. Those all seem very standard, so it's awesome to hear there isn't anything particularly hairy or different with these.

I have some DIY experience with working on our cars (replacing sensors, brakes, etc.) the engine bay looks spacious! Are these fairly easy to work on?

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Those all seem very standard, so it's awesome to hear there isn't anything particularly hairy or different with these.

I have some DIY experience with working on our cars (replacing sensors, brakes, etc.) the engine bay looks spacious! Are these fairly easy to work on?
I believe your 2013 CX-5 GT has a 2.0L, so even the belt tensioner job, if needed, is easier than 2.5L for DIYer. And 2.0L doesn’t have the heavy balance shaft used In 2.5L, in addition to it’s more fuel efficient.

Watch for high-pitch whining noise from transmission as the input shaft bearing on transmission is a problem area for early CX-5’s and there’s a TSB for it. Mazda had modified the front casing of transmission since to prevent the problem.

Search the forum and you should be able to find most info you want. Or ask questions here.

If you can replace brakes, there really isn’t anything maintenance wise that you won’t be able to do yourself for your CX-5 imo. Im handy, but each DIY project has been my first time ever doing it on any vehicle. That being said I have done all of the following maintenance on my ‘13 CX-5 without issue:
-oil changes
-engine air and cabin filter changes
-transmission fluid changes
-brake fluid replacement via two man (or one man with check valve bottle LOL) brake bleed
-new brake pads and rotors
-throttle body cleaning
-intake valve cleaning via intake manifold removal
-intake valve cleaning via cleaner sprayed thru manifold (CRC)
-MAF cleaning
-shock and strut replacement
-spark plug replacement
-serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and water pump belt replacement

The only thing on the maintenance schedule that I haven’t done yet is replacing the engine coolant at 10 yrs/120k miles. Great choice, and have fun!

Welcome and thanks for joining up, @aaacx5! Congrats on the CX-5 and great question, you’ve come to the right place and I see you’ve already got great answers..:)(y)

Follow @felixd aka Felix Dan's YouTube channel for probably the most complete vids on skyactiv cars.

Hi. I have a 2013 6MT. No advice except to enjoy it! I've done nothing to mine except oil changes. Ended up doing the plugs and brakes at 130k. Still has the original battery too :)

Thanks everyone for your responses! It sounds like we made a good choice. So far everything has been fantastic.

The only thing has been the Bose bass tends to rattle the driver's door a bit -- is removing the panel to put in some sound insulation going to be difficult?

Thanks everyone for your responses! It sounds like we made a good choice. So far everything has been fantastic.

The only thing has been the Bose bass tends to rattle the driver's door a bit -- is removing the panel to put in some sound insulation going to be difficult?
Nope, not difficult at all. I did sound deadening on all four doors, rear cargo area and the rear hatch door. The door panel pops off after removing two screws, one behind the door lever and the other in the tray. You’ll want replacement clips if possible. Mine were pretty brittle with age. I don’t know the part number tho.

Back