2016~2023 Just bought a used 2016 Mazda CX-9 AWD and I have this cable hanging under the rear axle. Anyone know what it could be? (SOLVED: auto-leveling sensor)

zfw1lrT.jpg
cJO2Rq5.jpg

Whatever that is it is broken off it's original location. There is still the harness connector attached to it and it clearly has signs of being broken. It's hard to tell from the image but it appears to be in the area of the rear differential. Do you have warning lights on the dash related to the AWD system?

Whatever that is it is broken off it's original location. There is still the harness connector attached to it and it clearly has signs of being broken. It's hard to tell from the image but it appears to be in the area of the rear differential. Do you have warning lights on the dash related to the AWD system?

Yeah I noticed that too. There's no warnings or check engine light at all. Some other people told me it might be emissions related, possibly the evap sensor. Either way the car is still under warranty so I'll be taking it to the dealer next week, I just wanted to find out if it was something vital and I shouldn't be driving the car

Based on the look of the internals it looks like an inductor pickup of some sort. I strongly suspect that it's part of the controller for the AWD system that sits on the rear differential. I have an older model and have seen some write-ups on a similar part that resides in that general area.

Based on the look of the internals it looks like an inductor pickup of some sort. I strongly suspect that it's part of the controller for the AWD system that sits on the rear differential. I have an older model and have seen some write-ups on a similar part that resides in that general area.

In that case shouldn't there be some warning lights?

You would think so. However, given that the wiring is still attached and the internals of that part look OK it could be giving a false signal to the controller? I don't know if that depends on a 'tone ring' or magnet inside the diff to work. Anyway, if the dealer checks it out under warranty let us all know what the answer is.

You would think so. However, given that the wiring is still attached and the internals of that part look OK it could be giving a false signal to the controller? I don't know if that depends on a 'tone ring' or magnet inside the diff to work. Anyway, if the dealer checks it out under warranty let us all know what the answer is.

Brought it to the dealer and it they told me it was a ride height sensor for the auto leveling headlights. Shttps://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). They quoted me $515 for the repair but I'm just going to do it myself since the part is so cheap and their pricing is insane.

The Mazda part number shown in that eBay link is not what you would get if you bought the part from Mazda - the OEM part includes a metal bracket in addition to the sensor. Mazda does not appear to sell the sensor by itself - instead, they want to charge you $350 for the bracket and sensor together. This might be why the dealer is asking for ~$500 to fix it.

I'd contact the seller and clarify what you are getting. I assume you can pull the broken sensor off the existing bracket and make it work...

The Mazda part number shown in that eBay link is not what you would get if you bought the part from Mazda - the OEM part includes a metal bracket in addition to the sensor. Mazda does not appear to sell the sensor by itself - instead, they want to charge you $350 for the bracket and sensor together. This might be why the dealer is asking for ~$500 to fix it.

I'd contact the seller and clarify what you are getting. I assume you can pull the broken sensor off the existing bracket and make it work...

Yeah I noticed that too. I'll take my chances with the ebay part since it's so cheap and looks exactly like the sensor that's hanging under my car and it looks like it attaches pretty easily. The tech mentioned that it's just 3 screws that hold that sensor up and judging from the ebay pics it looks exactly like that. Either way if it doesn't work, the sensor I have on there now is working fine so I'd probably just zip tie it up there.

Wait so you bought a used car and the dealer sold you the car with this broken? And it’s under warranty but they want to charge you for it?

Wait so you bought a used car and the dealer sold you the car with this broken? And it’s under warranty but they want to charge you for it?
I bought the car from a third-party dealer, sold as is. The Mazda dealership I went to is claiming that something hit it therefore it's physical damage so not covered under warranty.

Congrats on you purchase first off. Anyway you can perhaps ask the third party you purchased this from if there is any way they can honor the expense of repair or work something out with you. I mean even if you signed an as is statement if this is a crucial repair depending on state rules their should be a stipulation to help you.

Congrats on you purchase first off. Anyway you can perhaps ask the third party you purchased this from if there is any way they can honor the expense of repair or work something out with you. I mean even if you signed an as is statement if this is a crucial repair depending on state rules their should be a stipulation to help you.
Thanks, but the dealer is over an hour away from me so I really don't want to go back over there again and the part is extremely cheap anyways, so I don't mind doing it myself. Either way the part is not really "broken", it just cracked off of its housing but the sensor still works fine. It's not really anything that's detrimental to the functionality of the car, it's just a headlight level sensor to aim the lights up or down depending on the load of the vehicle. If it was something that was more important I would definitely try to get something out of the dealer whether it be Mazda or the one that sold it to me but it's not really an important sensor.

Thanks, but the dealer is over an hour away from me so I really don't want to go back over there again and the part is extremely cheap anyways, so I don't mind doing it myself. Either way the part is not really "broken", it just cracked off of its housing but the sensor still works fine. It's not really anything that's detrimental to the functionality of the car, it's just a headlight level sensor to aim the lights up or down depending on the load of the vehicle. If it was something that was more important I would definitely try to get something out of the dealer whether it be Mazda or the one that sold it to me but it's not really an important sensor.

Got you. Still a flaw they should have addressed b4 releasing the vehicle. Hope all works out man.

Back