Just bought 2018 CX-5 GT w/premiu pkg - Beware of dealer installed hitch!

I have no reason to post fake stuff. This is hard to believe but true. My purpose here is to warn others and hear suggestions as to what the solution(s) might be. The dealer used the wrong template and did a horrible job cutting the bumper. Should never have been delivered like this. The service department head told me that he was upset that his guy did it this way. Of course I asked him why he approved the delivery! This A big dealership in our area.

My main point is that buyers should be aware that the OEM hitch requires a cutout and some dealers are not aware of the proper way to do this. Customers should be made aware of this before the installation. I added a picture from Mazda Customer care that shows the proper hole template/cutout.

Tom

Yes, but honestly, nobody needs to be wary of getting a dealer installed hitch (as your title suggests). What they need to be wary of is crappy nut job mechanics that royally fck up a job.

You should have never accepted the car in that condition. I would demand they replace it with an OEM bumper that is 100% color matched.

No problem puyapim. I totally agree that there are those who complain about everything. The responses here have been helpful to me and I have a clearer idea as to what needs to be done. As I reported earlier, Mazda Customer Care in CA was excellent. The Garnish part covers a large part of the bumper and will pretty up the hole while protecting the bumper. Probabaly best solution to put it to bed. Hopefully my posts will alert others to ask the dealer how their hitch will look once installed.

Tom

No worries then. I would be concerned how that trim will be attached and also will it cover the scuffs and other damage the tech caused.

Just my suggestion but this is a brand new car, I would ask for the new bumper. You should be able to drive the car as is until the bumper is available.

Obviously the dealer might not want you to drive the car especially if the dealer has their name on the plate frames. Anyway it’s their fault.

One poster suggested that I take a picture of the back of my CX-5 to legitimize my original post. Will do that tomorrow and block out my plate. Raining today.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is not a fake post.

I really want to avoid swapping out the bumper. Leaning towards the Guarnish Stainless steel rear bumper part with the hitch hole already cut out.

Tom

Why do you want to avoid this? The bumper cover is a plastic cover? The metal garnish will still have giant hole underneath it. Bumper covers are replaced all the time, so if the dealer is going to replace it, why would you not want to?

My wife has a miata and she backed into my trailer. I pulled the bumper cover off, had a local place paint it, and put it back on. Easiest repair there is to do. Covering up a major screw up is not the right answer.

Have the dealer fix the bumper and reserve the right to still add the garnish is not happy. The dealer should be very embarrassed by the job they returned to you. It was amateur hour beyond belief.

You still have not said why you are so opposed to getting the bumper cover replaced. A locally painted cover is more likely to match then something shipped from Japan.

No problem puyapim. I totally agree that there are those who complain about everything. The responses here have been helpful to me and I have a clearer idea as to what needs to be done. As I reported earlier, Mazda Customer Care in CA was excellent. The Garnish part covers a large part of the bumper and will pretty up the hole while protecting the bumper. Probabaly best solution to put it to bed. Hopefully my posts will alert others to ask the dealer how their hitch will look once installed.

Tom

Actually it is this dealer and this tech - not all dealer installed hitches.

Others on this forum have the dealer installed hitch and it looks fine. I had a 2010 Lexus with a cutout required - many dealer installed hitches also look fine. You just had tech that must have been on drugs, and a service adviser that must have been too.

The question is not "why did the tech do this" it is - "how did this go out the door to customer" - from 100 miles away it looks like crap. Not even close to being acceptable. Someone should have just put a dent in every door too.

How no one noticed is what i find appaling

Actually it is this dealer and this tech - not all dealer installed hitches.

Others on this forum have the dealer installed hitch and it looks fine. I had a 2010 Lexus with a cutout required - many dealer installed hitches also look fine. You just had tech that must have been on drugs, and a service adviser that must have been too.

The question is not "why did the tech do this" it is - "how did this go out the door to customer" - from 100 miles away it looks like crap. Not even close to being acceptable. Someone should have just put a dent in every door too.

How no one noticed is what i find appaling

Considering that every new vehicle I have ever purchased, including my CX5 had a inspection checklist and was fully detailed, I would agree this is very very sloppy.

Never accept a new vehicle without making sure everything is as it should be.

IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG

Here are 2 photos of my CX-5. I see a few posters are questioning the title of Beware of dealer installed hitches, which I agree may be a bit over the top. Actually it is 2017/2018 model hitches.

The real issue is to be sure that buyers know how high the hitch rides on the bumper, that a large hole will be cut and that there are 3rd party alternatives that do not require a cut. Usually I go over every inch of the car before accepting but I trusted the dealer, my 3rd purchase from them, and was iin a rush to get back to work. I fully admit, my bad.

Anyway, my next post shows the template they use when installing the Stainless rear bumper Garnish. This is what they used instead of the right smaller hole template without the Garnish. Cleaning up the edges of the hole, buffing the bumper scraps and installing the Garnish may be my final decIsion. Waiting for Mazda Corporate Customer Care to suggest a solution.

Last edited:
2017/2018 hitch hole template for dealer installed Garnish accessory

Here is a picture of the template to accommodate the Garnish part for the rear bumper on 2017/2018 CX-5.

See part number in right top corner.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    642 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
I don't get the OPs resistance to replacing the bumper. It's not like tearing apart a dash looking for an obnoxious rattle.

However, if you do go back to that dealer for the work I'd demand someone else service your car, if that employee is still there. He might also feel scorned from the feedback over his previous work and do further damage.

Maybe it's a multi-brand dealer with multiple cutouts lying around?
OP did say the tech used a much bigger hole template designed for installing rear bumper garnish.

Anyway, my next post shows the template they use when installing the Stainless rear bumper Garnish. This is what they used instead of the right smaller hole template without the Garnish. Cleaning up the edges of the hole, buffing the bumper scraps and installing the Garnish may be my final decIsion. Waiting for Mazda Corporate Customer Care to suggest a solution.
Here is a picture of the Garnish part for the rear bumper on 2017/2018 CX-5.

See part number in right top corner.

Tom

attachment.php

It's unfortunate that you have to deal with this. Although, I'm not surprised.

When the dealer installed my roof rails they dented the roof panel just above each door on the driver's side. I didn't notice it for a couple of weeks afterwards. Looked just like hail dents and had to argue a little with the dealer that "there are no other dents on this car! If it was hail, there'd be dents everywhere and not just where they happened to installed the roofrails!" (They had the dents taken out by a paintless dent repair guy.) My car was also covered with a tar-like substance on the exterior and driver's seat. I assume in came off the tech's clothing while installing the rails. They had to clean that up, too.

The dealership also scratched a rim while rotating my tires. They replaced it eagerly.

So far, I really like my CX-5. The dealership experience has made me miss the treatment I received at Volvo and Acura.

Last edited:
I don't get the OPs resistance to replacing the bumper. It's not like tearing apart a dash looking for an obnoxious rattle.

However, if you do go back to that dealer for the work I'd demand someone else service your car, if that employee is still there. He might also feel scorned from the feedback over his previous work and do further damage.
Agreed. I can see the resistance of "local paint" part, but replacing the bumper cover from another new CX-5 is a fairly easy job for the dealer. I want a bumper with factory paint without a big hole, bumper garnish of not.

When my Mazda dealer screwed up several things in the warranty service, and during the discussion I also found out Mazda dealer uses one tech to fix "everything", I demanded someone else, ended up it was a master tech, to finish the revised rear brake caliper replacement with new rotors and pads.

Back