JL Audio CleanSweep?

Hey everybody:

I'm getting tired of the stock stereo. I've been looking at my options, and I was thinking of going in the CleanSweep direction instead of a whole new head unit and dash kit.

I've looked at one of the Alpine options and the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty option as well. Reviews on the Alpine aren't good, and I think the Rockford option is too much for what I want.

I'd like to keep a stock look while improving sound quality easily and adding a sub. I planned on going with some sort of aftermarket speakers in the doors, later on. I'd add the sub and an amp after the CleanSweep.

Do you guys think the CleanSweep will work well for what I'd like to do?

Thanks for your advice and guidance sound gurus.

I thought the 3Sixty was a bit pricey, but after seeing a great install in my buddy's Focus SVT, that thing is awesome. If you're gonna tweak it, don't half-ass it, you won't be disappointed with the performance of that RF setup.

I'm still thinking. Budget recently got super tight, so this is a back burner.

I'm sure the JL is a good product, but I decided on going with the Alpine Imprint when I do my system so the sound can be tuned to the car. Flat EQ is great for a home environment and I'm sure wayyy better than the stock stereo, but the interior acoustics of cars is anything but ideal. I'm going for a flat frequency response at my ears, as opposed to at the speakers. Big difference in a car. :) But that's just my scenario since my stock Blose head unit puts out line-level, and my $.02.

And still having access to near-dealer pricing doesn't hurt. :)

Edit: Is it true that the JL requires you to use an outboard volume control to be truly effective?

Last edited:
Yes, you do needs that, factory can vary. let me know how it works out for you, I have the jl in the legacy, but my ms6 i have not decided on anything yet, just picked it up. But i work at a car audio shop, so i know how those prices are so nice.

I'm sure the JL is a good product, but I decided on going with the Alpine Imprint when I do my system so the sound can be tuned to the car. Flat EQ is great for a home environment and I'm sure wayyy better than the stock stereo, but the interior acoustics of cars is anything but ideal. I'm going for a flat frequency response at my ears, as opposed to at the speakers. Big difference in a car. :) But that's just my scenario since my stock Blose head unit puts out line-level, and my $.02.

And still having access to near-dealer pricing doesn't hurt. :)

Edit: Is it true that the JL requires you to use an outboard volume control to be truly effective?

I looked at the Alpine options as well. I liked the idea of the microphone to help set up timing and all of that, but the reviews I saw didn't think very highly of it.

I also liked that some of the Alpine options allowed additional features to be easily added.

Back