JDM rear low profile headrests

So let me be sure this is correct...both 1st gen and 2nd gen jdm headrests will for our 19 touring, but the 1st gen are lower profile. Right?

Great thread...had no idea these existed. Nothing wrong with better visibility...

So let me be sure this is correct...both 1st gen and 2nd gen jdm headrests will for our 19 touring, but the 1st gen are lower profile. Right?

Great thread...had no idea these existed. Nothing wrong with better visibility...
IMO if you have gen-2 CX-5, go get gen-2 JDM rear headrests. They would look nicer, and the shape matches the US rear center headrest better. See comparison photos in post #54 in this thread.

I must be getting less automotive anal in my old age...I just removed all the rear headrests before I even rolled off hte lot with it and tossed them in the back because I couldn't see squat. Plenty of visibility now. Install on rare the occasion when needed (once). I realize that may not work for everyone. There was a time when I'd have probably been all over a swap like this. Kudos to the researcher and providing the info for those that still have the desire. It appears the overall quality of the US spec OE stockers is better than the JDM version. I have to say I'd be disappointed in the replacements after spending the money.

I must be getting less automotive anal in my old age...I just removed all the rear headrests before I even rolled off hte lot with it and tossed them in the back because I couldn't see squat. Plenty of visibility now. Install on rare the occasion when needed (once). I realize that may not work for everyone. There was a time when I'd have probably been all over a swap like this. Kudos to the researcher and providing the info for those that still have the desire. It appears the overall quality of the US spec OE stockers is better than the JDM version. I have to say I'd be disappointed in the replacements after spending the money.
Function wise JDM version rear headrests give you much better rear view, and let you fold the rear seat-backs without the hassle of removing those headrests. Both versions of headrest are made in Japan, from the same vendor with the same material. They offer exactly the same quality but different shape. I havent seen any CX-5 owners who paid as high as $300 for a pair in early days, is regretting his or her purchase including me.

I just came inside from re-uninstalling my rear headrests. I've ended up carrying adult rear seat passengers quite a bit over the past few months, and have ended up sticking them back in frequently. They definitely are a vision problem in the dense urban traffic I drive in daily.

Is there a detent in the 2017+ JDM headrest that will let it lock at a position higher than flush with the seat? If so, I'd appreciate it if someone could snap a pic of it at its highest locked position relative to the US version at its lowest. (thank you to folks who have posted pics already)

If so, I'd appreciate it if someone could snap a pic of it at its highest locked position relative to the US version at its lowest. (thank you to folks who have posted pics already)

The JDM headrest has a single indent which allows it to lock in at one alternate position. That raised position puts the top of the JDM headrest higher than the US headrest at its lowest position. The JDM headrest at its highest is actually HIGHER than the US headrest at its highest. I tried to capture this for you. You can use the rear defroster lines as a rough approximation.

US headrests have two locking positions/indents but they are not as far apart from lowest to highest as the single JDM indent (if that makes sense?).

I hope thee help.

JDM highest vs US lowest.jpeg

JDM highest vs US highest.jpeg

Last edited:
The JDM headrest has a single indent which allows it to lock in at one alternate position. That raised position puts the top of the JDM headrest higher than the US headrest at its lowest position. The JDM headrest at its highest is actually HIGHER than the US headrest at its highest. I tried to capture this for you. You can use the rear defroster lines as a rough approximation.

US headrests have two locking positions/indents but they are not as far apart from lowest to highest as the single JDM indent (if that makes sense?).

I hope thee help.

View attachment 221872

View attachment 221873

Candurin, that is awesome--thank you very much! I think I'll be placing an order soon.

I hope thee help.

View attachment 221872
attachment.php

View attachment 221873
attachment.php
The result surprised me a bit. And thanks for the pictures!

Thanks for the legwork guys. I just got the the JDM headrests in the mail and installed them.

Confirming that the K331-88-240 13 is Caturra Brown.

I ordered a pair of the K331-88-240 13 head rests from Japan Parts (~$170 with shipping) yesterday. Waiting for shipping details. Fingers crossed all works out. Thanks to the forum members for the detective work!

To all who ordered from Japan Parts: About how much time passed between order confirmation and shipping details?
Ordered mine from Japan Parts in November 2019. From the day I ordered them till they were delivered was 3 weeks.
I got a pair of black gen1 rears. Slightly lower than the gen2. Much better rear visability.

When I ordered the headrests for my Signature (brown leather) on Dec 18, they were backordered (as was stated on JapanParts product listing). I got my shipping notice on Jan17.

Last edited:
To all who ordered from Japan Parts: About how much time passed between order confirmation and shipping details?
2 or 3 weeks. I finally asked them when they would ship, and cooincidentally the answer was "today". They arrived in 2 or 3 days after that I think. The actual shipping was fast.

I got black 2nd gen for my 2018 GT. I'm quite happy with them. Mostly so I can have the front passenger seat all the way back, and still drop the seat forward without sheering off the waste bag I have hanging from the passenger headrest.

I was able to get some information on the Caturra Brown headrests from parts-sale.jp yesterday. This is what they replied with after giving them my VIN and sending them a picture with the headrests circled:

K33188240 13
PRICE: 56.67 USD x 2 = 113.34 USD
STOCK: Backorder, January 23

I believe the top entry is a part number of some type. Probably the stock number on their site. Becuase it's not a standard Mazda part number as far as I can tell.

Hi, Can you tell me if you ordered these and if so, were they the low profile ones like the center? They are listed as R and L rear, and I cannot get them to comprehend my question in my inquiry. I cannot tell by the picture they have posted. How is the color match for the Caturra Brown?

Back