JD Powers Initial Quality Study

:
Former CX-5 Own
This study shows the number of issues a car had in the first 90 days of ownership.
The summary table is for all issues per brand, though there is a breakdown elsewhere.

I usually did not pay to much attention to IQS because I am more concerned over long term quality. They have a separate 3 year study to measure defects over longer period of time.

IQS 2014
IQS 2013

They have GM above the industry average their report is flawed and tainted and I don't give it any credibility.

I never owned a GM product, but I think the industry is not static. Definitely, things have changed much since the bailout and also are changing with the new CEO and ignition switch debacle.
For me, this is about right. I had mirror shake and hood shake, both fixed after several visits.

Like I said above, this is for defects or issues at delivery. So not an indicator of long term dependability/reliability. Also see that the difference between Hyundai (top non-luxury) and Mazda is not that much.

Mmmmm. First 90 days with my model year 2013 CX-5, I experienced the dash rattle and hatch rattle, both fixed later under warranty. JD Powers has always been of very limited use to me.

No problems since in 2+ years, very uneventful since which is probably why CX-5 shows well in Consumers Reports reliability charts.

Back