I've joined the family

Just bought a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve in Soul Red. I came from a 2019 Chevy Traverse, which is a comfortable and roomy vehicle, but just proved too large for how we are using it. I frequent model specific forums to get answers to questions not found in owners manuals.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Kip

Welcome to CX-5 ownership and welcome to the forum.
This is a great place to learn more about your terrific new vehicle.
Enjoy!

Congrats on the new wheels.

I have a 2019 Reserve. It still puts a smile on my face.

Lots of knowledgeable folks around here. Even answers that are in the manual are not always easy to find.

Welcome to the forum!

Just curious, did you cross shop the CX-5 GT Reserve with anything else?

Welcome to the forum!

Just curious, did you cross shop the CX-5 GT Reserve with anything else?
I did cross shop mostly against the Subaru Crosstrek. I've always liked the way they look. I really wanted a manual awd crossover. You can get that in the Crosstrek in the middle trim. But the engine was just too weak and the lack of amenities turned me off...not to mention the lack of availability to test one. I did test an automatic version and an Impreza Sport, which is a somewhat similar vehicle, but the transmission is a 5MT instead of 6mt. Neither had any guts. And while they'd get me there, out wouldn't be very fun!

I also considered the Equinox (too bland), the Blazer (too expensive), various Jeeps (poor reliability), Rav4.

I did months of online research. I had a particular budget and wants in the car.

I also did months of research before buying CX5.
There are very few cars left that have manual transmissions and none of them really in the compact crossover class like the CX5.

I also did months of research before buying CX5.
There are very few cars left that have manual transmissions and none of them really in the compact crossover class like the CX5.
Before I bought my CX-5, my beater commuter was a 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler.

It had a manual transmission with an electric 5th gear overdrive. I loved driving that thing through these country roads, even though it didn't have sports car handling. I was less than 2,000 miles shy of hitting 200,000 when Bambi's dad jumped in front of me.

There are places I drive here where I just have to put my CX-5 in Manual mode, but (as you know) it's nowhere near the same thing.

I had the same struggle when I bought my '89 S-10 pickup and later my 2005 Canyon. Who the heck sells trucks and does not offer a manual transmission???? That's as much a sin as selling sports cars and offering automatics in them. Why???

Most people will say today's automatics, with their advanced computer system, are much more efficient than in years past. In addition, many of the latest safety features require an automatic transmission for safety itself, such as collision avoidance braking. I guess it could stall a manual transmission. My thought was just to put features in place to ensure it doesn't stall.

But that doesn't answer the need/desire for the feel and ownership of driving a manual transmission. The fun. The control.

Yup.

Cruise Control is another one of those things...unless you do Clutch-by-Wire.

Heck, the only thing an automatic is better than is 3-on-the-tree. Barely.

Back