Issues turning crank

:
2007 MS3 GT
Hello,

I have an interesting problem and I've done some searching but haven't seen anyone else with the same issue.

Back story: About a week ago the wifes car threw a bunch of codes. She pulled over and had it towed home. I fire it up in the driveway and it fires up but not quite like usual. I pull the dipstick and notice the dreaded color of the oil. Long story short the water pump failed. I drained the oil and had it towed to my garage.

Current situation: I got the engine torn down to the step where I align the timing marks. I start cranking on the motor and I get a little bit of resistance right before hitting 360 degrees. I check the timings marks and they aren't aligned yet. I give it another crank and again I get a bit of resistance just before 360 degrees. At this point I'm not sure if the resistance is getting a little stronger each time but it feels like it may. Finally all my marks are aligned for TDC and I drop the cam lock tools in. They both slide in with ease. I followed everything in the FSM up to this point. Only thing I forgot to do was remove the brackets that house the oil control valves. Any idea what could be going on? Engine didn't make any harsh noises prior to taking it apart. No visible damage on the top end of the motor. No resistance through the rest of the crank turn and yes the spark plugs are out. Once I finally got the chain off I did notice a good bit of resistance when trying to turn the water pump sprocket. Could that resistance be translating to the resistance I felt when turning the crank? I didn't not hear any metal on metal noise when turning. Also the water pump sprocket was wobbly. Any idea what could be causing the resistance? Thanks for the help.

:
2010 CX-9 GT
Scored main/rod bearings? Unfortunately, by the time any codes are thrown the oil has been contaminated for a while.

What codes were thrown?

:
2007 MS3 GT
She turned it off when the low coolant light hit. It dumped all the coolant pretty quick. I'm hoping there's just some light rust form the coolant getting in there gumming up the works. Also the pump pulley was hard to turn by hand at the 180* and 360* turning points by hand so I'm sure that added some resistance to the system

:
2007 MS3 GT
**Update**. I know the timing marks were perfect and I went with gut feeling. I replayed in my head the scenario and recalled that the tensioner was almost fully extended due to the wobbling in the water pump gear. I got the new chain on today and hand cranked it over till it hit TDC 3 times. Everything was still aligned and it turned smooth as butter with a breaker bar. The resistance was gone.

just to clarify the “resistance” took me placing my foot on the breaker bar forcing it past.

seems that all is well now.

:
2007 MS3 GT
It was definitely the pump gear. I scoped the upper motor and dropped the pan. Everything looks good. It wasn’t a hard stop and not metal on metal. Tension at the crank aligned with tension in the water pump gear.

:
2007 MS3 GT
Update***** Got it all reassembled today. She fired right up and sounds better than the day we bought her. No rattling or any noise at startup. No idea why it was so hard to crank by hand but compression is fine.