Is this a great price for a 2019 CX-5 GT?

Hi there,

While recently scrolling through used car apps and sites, I came across what I believe to be an amazing deal for a Mazda CX-5, but wanted to get everyones opinion on whether I should jump on this, or if there are any worries I should have.

Used 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD - 24,000 Miles, White - $20,985

CARFAX REPORT -
No accidents, No structural damage, 1 previous owner, seems like it might've been a 1 year lease.

It's not currently being sold at a Mazda Dealership, but at a Dodge dealership. Not sure how they came to acquire it, but the price seems extremely good considering I believe the Grand Tourings go for $29,000+ brand new.

Does this sound like a good, great, or excellent price?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thank you!

That is an excellent price. FWD hurts the CX5 on resale but for those who don't need AWD.....it's an excellent value.

That's what I was thinking. Any worry about it not being at a Mazda Dealership? I'd assume if the CarFax checks out with no issues, then it's all good?

I would not worry that it is not being sold by a Mazda dealer. The Dodge dealership may have taken it on a trade or from an auction house. You may want to find out the “in service date”. This will provide you with how time is left on the warranty.

I would not worry that it is not being sold by a Mazda dealer. The Dodge dealership may have taken it on a trade or from an auction house. You may want to find out the “in service date”. This will provide you with how time is left on the warranty.

That's what I was thinking too. Just out of curiosity, what would you categorize this price at?

Fair, Good, Great, Exceptional, Run dont walk?

That's what I was thinking too. Just out of curiosity, what would you categorize this price at?

Fair, Good, Great, Exceptional, Run dont walk?
I’d call it “run don’t walk” unless it has something seriously wrong - salvage title, bent frame, engine/tranny damage, etc. might be worth having a trusted mechanic give it a good check up.

Yes, warranties are good regardless who you buy it from. Call a Mazda service department with the VIN and they'll tell you when it expires

Yes, warranties are good regardless who you buy it from. Call a Mazda service department with the VIN and they'll tell you when it expires
Some shady dealers offer unbelievable prices just to lure in buyers then add fees.

Hi there,

While recently scrolling through used car apps and sites, I came across what I believe to be an amazing deal for a Mazda CX-5, but wanted to get everyones opinion on whether I should jump on this, or if there are any worries I should have.

Used 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD - 24,000 Miles, White - $20,985

CARFAX REPORT -
No accidents, No structural damage, 1 previous owner, seems like it might've been a 1 year lease.

It's not currently being sold at a Mazda Dealership, but at a Dodge dealership. Not sure how they came to acquire it, but the price seems extremely good considering I believe the Grand Tourings go for $29,000+ brand new.

Does this sound like a good, great, or excellent price?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thank you!
I always believe there’s no free lunch, and if the price is too good to be true, there must be something suspicious.

Not saying you should give up on this “good deal”, but precede it with caution, especially on a used car because there’re too many variables. Just think, who wants to trade in a 1+ year old car which still has new vehicle warranty? How many people has 1-year lease?

My guess is the engine (or other major item such as transmission) might get replaced due rocker arm fallen by cylinder deactivation. The owner lost confidence on it and got another vehicle. Involving some major accident is another possibility even though the Carfax came up fine.

A thorough inspection by some professionals is strongly recommended unless you can do it by yourself. Try to get as much service and repair record as possible from a Mazda dealer with the VIN.

I always believe there’s no free lunch, and if the price is too good to be true, there must be something suspicious.

Not saying you should give up on this “good deal”, but precede it with caution, especially on a used car because there’re too many variables. Just think, who wants to trade in a 1+ year old car which still has new vehicle warranty? How many people has 1-year lease?

My guess is the engine (or other major item such as transmission) might get replaced due rocker arm fallen by cylinder deactivation. The owner lost confidence on it and got another vehicle. Involving some major accident is another possibility even though the Carfax came up fine.

A thorough inspection by some professionals is strongly recommended unless you can do it by yourself. Try to get as much service and repair record as possible from a Mazda dealer with the VIN.

I agree on almost all points. Be wary of dealer "bait and switch" tactics, excessive dealer additions or fees that they may try to tag on, etc. Test drive the car at different speeds (residential streets and highways) to determine if there are any weird noises or vibrations. Ask to have your own PPI done by a 3rd party mechanic of your choosing before closing the sale. Inspect the paint thoroughly in good lighting to check for inconsistencies in paint colour and finish. Get the VIN and call a Mazda dealership to see if there are any outstanding recalls on the vehicle. You may also be able to find out the extent of the recall work performed (in the case of the cylinder deactivation recall, you might be able to find out if they just updated the software or if they replaced the engine/head entirely).

Or, it could be as simple as "these seats are just not comfortable for me" as we have seen many times on this forum.

More possible reasons:

Suspension too firm/sporty
Paint chips too easily for driving habits/environment
Lost source of income
Swapped for AWD and/or 2.5T :devilish:

Back