Is Mazda's upcoming MX-30 on your shopping list?

Antoine

Administrator
I find the upcoming All-Electric Mazda MX-30 very intriguing and it's already growing on me...It could have the potential to be a big hit. It also makes me think what else does Mazda have cooking in the All-Electric department...The possibilities are no doubt, exciting!

I started a thread like this in our CX-30 (currently a brand new model) Forum and it received interesting responses. I'm really interested to know what people think of the MX-30 and why it might be (or might not be) on their shopping list...So please post away and let us know...Let's get this conversation started! :D

I find the upcoming All-Electric Mazda MX-30 very intriguing and it's already growing on me...It could have the potential to be a big hit. It also makes me think what else does Mazda have cooking in the All-Electric department...The possibilities are no doubt, exciting!

I started a thread like this in our CX-30 (currently a brand new model) Forum and it received interesting responses. I'm really interested to know what people think of the MX-30 and why it might be (or might not be) on their shopping list...So please post away and let us know...Let's get this conversation started! :D

Looking forward to seeing the US version here. (birthday)

I love the new textures and materials that are used. (no more piano black please)

I had a gen 2 Prius Hybrid, which was very frugal, but also very unsatisfying to drive. (wrc)

Currently I had been thinking of looking at a used Leaf, but really wanted more range.

I have been trying to decide what my personal magic number is, as far as the range needs to be. 150 miles - 200 miles? (shrug)

Last edited:
I will consider one if it
1. has close to 200hp motor (currently 143hp)
2. has range extender (yes, the rotary engine) (planned)
3. costs less than $45k before fed/state rebates.
35.5kwh battery is sufficient for my commute.

Hi @Mazdaspeedgirl

Here's the Official page...You can see pics and specs...

This could be a big hit...Sporty Fully-Electric Crossover at a "reasonable" price...If the interior space is large enough with great tech and solid range. Plus if they can give it Mazda's trademark driving dynamics...We might have a winner!

That said, it might be safe to say a lot of people would be interested in a hybrid and or fully-electric CX-5 at this point which is probably in the works as well...

It just looks like most every other CUV on the market. I see this being lost in the eventual deluge of electric CUVs and it's likely Mazda will price it too high. Not trying to be negative, but I foresee it being a flop in the US (if it ever comes here).

It just looks like most every other CUV on the market.

Interesting comments...You really think it looks like all the others..?

Here's one of Mazda's Official pics...

hero-mx-30.ts.1910230018130000.jpg

* Photo Source: https://www.mazda.com/en/new-generation/mx-30/

From other views, it does have a bit of a "standard look" but from the side, it looks quite unique and sporty imo. Plus look at those doors...Not your usual arrangement there...:)

Interesting comments...You really think it looks like all the others..?

Here's one of Mazda's Official pics...

From other views, it does have a bit of a "standard look" but from the side, it looks quite unique and sporty imo. Plus look at those doors...Not your usual arrangement there...:)
I'll give it to you there: the doors are awesome and at least do something to set the model apart.

But as far as looks, the Mazda definitely looks more chiseled and aggressive, but yeah unfortunately a lot of other vehicles look similar to me. For comparison:
hero-mx-30.ts.1910230018130000.jpg

Mazda

Screenshot_20200209-220148.png

Nissan Kicks

2019-hyundai-kona-electric_100675192.jpg

Hyundai Kona

You get the idea...🤔

But as far as looks, the Mazda definitely looks more chiseled and aggressive, but yeah unfortunately a lot of other vehicles look similar to me. For comparison:

Interesting...I see your point lol...That said, the MX-30 still seems quite differentiated compared to the other makes / models you mentioned (which appear to have a more conventional look). The MX-30 lines seem tighter and the overall design more sophisticated than the competition (imo).

Ultimately for the North American market, I think size / interior space will play a key role in the buying decision.

For me personally and not just because I like Mazdas...The MX-30 would be my choice hands down over the Kicks and Kona. Main reason being I find the overall design a lot more appealing.

110 miles range is not very competitive nowadays. Even a VWeUP can do 165 and that's classed as a city car. Bear in mind that all of these ranges are manufacturers figures so the range is probably less. It's probably irrelevant to me as the roofline in the CX30 is too low for me as my head is jammed onto the roof even with the seat in the lowest position. I have to presume that the MX-30 is the same as I can't seem to find the interior room specifications. It's the CX5 or no Mazda for me at the moment.

110 miles is plenty for my commute. For long trip, high end model will have the rotary as range extender. No need to haul a big battery around town.

110 miles is plenty for my commute. For long trip, high end model will have the rotary as range extender. No need to haul a big battery around town.

I really like the idea of having a mini Rotary engine / generator ensuring I have ample range...Cool idea and great to see the Rotary engine live on! (y)

Mostly glowing review from Thomas except for the rear opening doors over at Autogefuhl

I always find his reviews useful for headroom tests especially as he is the same height as me

Mostly glowing review from Thomas except for the rear opening doors over at Autogefuhl

I always find his reviews useful for headroom tests especially as he is the same height as me
Nice...Thanks for the share...I watched Thomas's earlier review (I think it was him) and he was very thorough. Great to see a review of the production version (if I'm not mistaken) and interesting point about the height!

Yes Antoine definitely the production version. I always watch Thomas's car reviews with interest as he always manages to put over any negative points in such a diplomatic way.

Back