Is Mazda gaining marketshare on Honda?

Antoine

Administrator
If not, seems like they should be with people joining up here and describing how they were long time Honda customers and due to recent issues etc, they’ve decided to give Mazda a try (note I like Honda as well and obviously Mazda is not perfect).

Am I just imagining things or are we possibly seeing a shift (a positive one) with how Mazda is being perceived when compared to the other Japanese automakers..?

Also, if this is happening, I wonder in which markets is it most pronounced?

Thoughts? :)

Probably not. Only 4 brands maintained their sales numbers in 2020 vs. 2019 (Mazda, Tesla, Volvo, and Alfa Romeo). Everyone else was down in varying degrees.

Mazda sold 500 more cars in 2020 than 2019 in the US. Honda was down 250,000.

2021 will be interesting.

Probably not. Only 4 brands maintained their sales numbers in 2020 vs. 2019 (Mazda, Tesla, Volvo, and Alfa Romeo). Everyone else was down in varying degrees.

2021 will be interesting.

Volvo was actually down 2.7%, or 2,900 less in 2020 than 2019.

Honda was down almost 17%, while Mazda was up a whopping 0.2%. :)

2020 Total US Sales:
Honda 1,209,805
Mazda 279,076

Mazda up (even by just 500) and Honda DOWN 250K is very interesting, thanks for the info. (y)

Honda was down almost 17%, while Mazda was up a whopping 0.2%. :)
Excellent, another way to look at it, thanks...(y)

2020 Total US Sales:
Honda 1,209,805
Mazda 279,076
Not surprising that Honda sells more but the fact that Mazda held up and Honda lost 17% seems like a potentially strong signal that the "tide" could be shifting...Mazda deserves more sales and it's about time they get them!

I don't know that there is a correlation with Honda/Mazda numbers and if it means Honda owners jumping ship to Mazda.

In general the average Joe/Jane I talk to still thinks Mazda is owned by Ford. Literally a couple weeks back had to correct someone who was saying the CX-5 was the same platform as the Ford Escape.

Last edited:
Surprised to see Honda down that much. I wonder how much Kia and Hyundai have grown.

Grown? Kia down almost 5%, and Hyundai almost 10%. I guess you could considering that gaining market share, since Honda was down 17% :)

I was cross shopping the Palisade and Telluride and the dealers looked to be mobbed with people like me. Great deals on a kia stinger though!

Sales of CX30 helped Mazda in 2020.
CX3 is too small for US market.

Yeah, but it was a fun car. Really small and turned on a dime. But no way an adult could sit in the back seat.

What is amazing is that the Mazda 3+CX30 combo are getting back to the levels the Mazda 3 used to sell. And the sales of Mazda 3's have been increasing as well.

Last edited:
We traded in our 2018 Honda Odyssey for a 2021 Mazda CX-9 and couldn't be happier (as long as the CX-9 holds up). We were on recall #8 I believe with the van and it was time to let it go. Was a Honda fan for 15 years but they just don't make them like they use to.

I traded in my '01 Odyssey for a '09 CX9 (technically, it was Ford-Mazda).
It held up fairly well, and I loved it. For the 7-8 years I owned it, a couple issues happened (all Ford parts related :( ). Traded it for my '16 Mazda6 (downsizing my life).

Latest posts

Back