Is it worth buying the maintenance package ?

Hi,

Just wondering if its worth buying the additional maintanence package from the dealership. I was offered a 96 months/100000 miles coverage @1695 with $100 deductable after the mazda 30k mile coverage. I've never been a fan of these packages, but just curious if anyone of you opted for it. Is it really worth spending that additional money ?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

-Thanks

It depends if you want to keep your car for a long time and if you are DIY guy. IMO, $1695 doesn't worth it for maintenance package up to 100000 miles. Basic oil change, change air filter, cabin air filter, etc doesn't worth $1695.

Please clarify.
Is it a maintenance only coverage, or a extended warranty coverage?
The price seems like the latter, not the former.

If the former, definitely NO. All the maintenances needed won't add up to $1000.
If the latter, it is up to you.
It is risk planning. Every one sees it differently.

If maintenance only, you have to ask what is included.
It surprises me because, usually maintenance package does not have "deductible".
You go by schedule. Theirs or Mazda's.

Maybe I just have had bad luck, but I would opt for the 100K extended warranty if you forsee yourself having the car that long.

My CX-9 had something go out with the AWD around 30K miles and the repair was in the $3000 dollar range, luckly covered under warranty, now my bearings are going out at 60,000 miles and I don't have the coverage and am looking at nearly $1000. I love the car, but can easily see how things can add up.

On my other car a Nissan Maxima a throttle pedal sensor went out after warranty and that cost me $750, too much electronic stuff in the cars these days to chance it in my opinion.

Still, if you only experience ONE big problem that costs $1000, you will lose
money on the ext warranty since it usually costs more than $1500 for 7yr/100K.
You must have TWO big problems to "win". The chance of that is not that big.
I had numerous mid-small issues with my BMW, which had 7yr/100K (cost me $2450).
However, I just barely broke even since many issues were not fully covered (tear and wear, thay said).
You can say that maybe 10% customers save money with ext warranty, but 90% people lose.
It is a form of financial planning. How much risk are you willing to take? That is the question.

Back