2013~2016 Is it possible to have a completely clean engine air filter after 27,000 miles?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Pulled the air filter this morning thinking I should order one since this is the original and the vehicle is 5 yrs old.
It was spotless, not one speck of dust, color was bright white and when held up to the sun you could see right through it. It looks like it just came out of the box.
Should I go ahead and replace anyway?

The computer will adjust the fuel mixture as the filter gradually clogs. As long as it allows enough air it's ok. If it gets really clogged you might get an error.

Is the rest of the engine that clean?

Pulled the air filter this morning thinking I should order one since this is the original and the vehicle is 5 yrs old.
It was spotless, not one speck of dust, color was bright white and when held up to the sun you could see right through it. It looks like it just came out of the box.

That seems wacky. A filter needs some dirt to actually function correctly. And this car is driven?

That seems wacky. A filter needs some dirt to actually function correctly. And this car is driven?
Yes, I thought I would at least see a little dirt or discoloration. It gets driven almost every day but not a lot of distance. I've had it since Apr 2015 and only put 27k on it.
Our main vehicle is 2019 CX-5 GTR. The one in question is a 2016 Touring.

If the filter looks clean, and its installed correctly, you're in good shape. I wouldn't replace it. Also silly to say a filter needs dirt to function correctly. They have to meet functional spec as manufactured.

Yes, I thought I would at least see a little dirt or discoloration. It gets driven almost every day but not a lot of distance. I've had it since Apr 2015 and only put 27k on it.
Our main vehicle is 2019 CX-5 GTR. The one in question is a 2016 Touring.

The limited driving my just be it. Most filters get "dirty" looking on the first drive - which is why dealers play the "dirty filter' trick on people.

Have you checked to ensure the filter is seated properly in the housing and the housing is completely closed? I’m thinking the intake air is somehow bypassing the filter.

I would say it’s impossible to have an engine air filter looks like “new” after 27,000 miles of driving. If you’re sure the filter hasn’t been changed recently, check the entire air filter box housing making sure there’s no air leak somewhere by-passing the filter itself.

IMO time doesn’t matter too much on air filter replacement, but the mileage does. If your factory air filter looks like “new” comparing to a new OEM white air filter, you don’t need replacement.

Mystery solved.
My stupid fault. Filter was changed at last service. Somehow I didn't think I would let them change it without me requesting it but apparently I did. Service write-up verifies it. $37.00.
$15.00 labor for apprx. 2 minutes work.

Mystery solved.
My stupid fault. Filter was changed at last service. Somehow I didn't think I would let them change it without me requesting it but apparently I did. Service write-up verifies it. $37.00.
Ha, at least now you know your Mazda dealer did a honest job in your last maintenance service. We had heard too many stories that dealers sometimes would skip some jobs they have promised. ;)

Mystery solved.
I think dealers get away with murder with the charges they do.

But that actually sounds reasonable.

Back