Interesting Article On Mazda

I had a new 3 as a loaner and enjoyed driving it very much. OK, so 3 sales tanked, then buy a CX3 if ya want a CUV. Why would Mazda incur the expense of designing, an producing, an entirely new model that's marginally different than the two CUVs they already on the lots? Seems ridiculous.

.... Why would Mazda incur the expense of designing, an producing, an entirely new model that's marginally different than the two CUVs they already on the lots? Seems ridiculous.

There is a LOT that goes into manipulating the consumer.

Have 3 models ~nearly~ identical eases the desire to spend more.

Oh CX-3 .. I only spend X
Oh CX-30 .. I only spend X+
Oh CX-5 .. I only spend X++
Oh CX-9 ... I only spend X+++

The consumer walks themselves up the product line because the price difference in the models is so marginal

That explains it...I'm not easily manipulated and therefore "don't get it". If I determine first that a want a Mazda CX-whatever and can afford X and 'want' X++, I buy X because that's what I can afford.

Or, Mazda could not spend the serious dollars on developing and tooling up to produce X+ and simply lower X++ price to be more attractive in the X+ arena. Still not getting it.

Let me explain ...

CX3 - too small, bad reviews
CX-30 - "Lifestyle" vehicle. Sweetspot for younger folks
CX-5 - Larger for folks that need space, but small (or no) families
CX-9 - Larger still for bigger families.

There, done! :)

Interesting link, however this is a dealer head and as such, he doesn't have any knowledge or insight about the product plan.

Here's an interview from the company president:

He mentioned new powertrain options this year for the Mazda3. I wonder if that means we will finally get an AWD 2.5T Mazda3.

Well, he actually has some say/information, unlike the dealer hack. He's the one to search out for information.

The cx3 is smaller than the Mazda 3 and the competition: Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi etc have sub compact crossovers with longer wheelbase and body. The cx30 is several inches longer than the cx3 but otherwise about the same.

Cx5 is several inches longer and about 6" more height which mostly translates into more interior cabin height and ground clearance.

It's interesting they call it cx30. They could rename the cx3 ->cx25 and call the cx30 cx3, which might be more appropriate.

Still I like Mazda's naming scheme. It's a lot better than trying to decipher new names like 'Ventos ,-Kicks ,-C HR,- H RV ,-Crosstech" etc. and other names that don't convey the size or position in the lineup.

I'm not nearly as optimistic about Mazda as the article indicates.

The CX3 has been selling very poorly with no bottom in sight - it's simply too cramped inside for it's exterior dimensions. The CX-30 is a nice car but is going to get its teeth kicked in by models coming from Hyundia and Kia, particularly the Seltos. The CX-5 is class-leading, but the goalposts are moving with great hybrid options from both Honda and Toyota which are faster and get much better fuel mileage. (And the Rav4 is getting a plug-in option!) The CX-9 is s small-inside crossover that competes in a segment where interior space is king and has rapidly fell behind the field, particularly against the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade.

It's worse with respect to sedans. 6 sales are declining even faster than sedan sales and the Accord and Camry are stiff competitors with new sporty options like the Camry TRD. The 3, despite being brand new, is widely viewed to be just a little behind the competition and the class-leader in this segment, the Corolla, has really upped their game.

The Miata has no competition, but is in a segment with minuscule sales.

In so many ways, Mazda just seems to be treading water with old technology - the lack of turbo motors in anything other than the most high-end models, the antiquated six-speed transmission, obsolete infotainment systems, etc. And it appears they've squandered their limited R&D on dead ends like the diesel and Skyactive-X.

In general, I love Mazdas and perhaps their move upscale to straddle the fence between mainstream and upmarket will be a horse they can ride for awhile. But this depends on changing the market's perception of who Mazda is and what the represent. Re-inventing a company from "Zoom-Zoom" to "Japanese Audi" is something that could take a LONG time.

Not optimistic at all.

- Mark

I had a new 3 as a loaner and enjoyed driving it very much. OK, so 3 sales tanked, then buy a CX3 if ya want a CUV. Why would Mazda incur the expense of designing, an producing, an entirely new model that's marginally different than the two CUVs they already on the lots? Seems ridiculous.

Because the CX-3 is tiny! When we bought our Mazda 3, we crossed shopped it with the CX-3. Loved the idea of it but it was more expensive but much smaller. An adult or teenager can sit in the back seat of the Mazda 3 for a short period without much issue. That is almost impossible with the CX-3. The CX-3 is just too small for the American market. The CX-30 is basically the replacement for the Mazda 3.

Back