Insurance Ripoffs

There are certain profiles that get charged more. Its basically - if you can afford to pay 100 for this service, it is 100 dollars for this service. Buy a banged up old car and compare its liability with your newish car liability. The old car is a bigger risk than newer car.
There's so much in this industry that makes no sense. We all got stories. Allstate blames some of their behaviour on state regulations.

I have a $1,000,000 Umbrella Policy because I own a home and any idiot who claims they slipped on my sidewalk can sue me. So here I am a private citizen with insurances as though I own a friggin' restaurant or grocery store.

As you said...a painful death, to them and to those who think Insurance Claims = Lottery.

Last edited:
We have 3 cars and 2 drivers. I don't understand why we have a comparable liability premiums for the 3rd car as for the other two. We can only be out wreaking havoc with 2 at a time, we can't incur liability from that 3rd one parked at home.
I have the same issue with my CX-5 and my old truck I drive to the trash drop-off once a month. It's just me at home. I can only drive one at a time.

Some of these industries are as mind-numbing as government. It's on purpose.

"I have a $100,000,000 Umbrella Policy" Do you mean $1,000,000 Umbrella
Policy? If you needed $100,000,000, you would be driving a Rolls SUV to drop off your trash.

"I have a $100,000,000 Umbrella Policy" Do you mean $1,000,000 Umbrella
Policy? If you needed $100,000,000, you would be driving a Rolls SUV to drop off your trash.
Oops.
I overstated my importance.

But I like the optics you layed out. If my trash were only that nice...

My new car insurance renewal rate for March? $166.72/month

Male, 27, no tickets since 2010, and last major claim in 2015 (all paid for by the guilty SOB who rear ended me though). Only vehicle, and I'm the only driver.

My previous rate was $145. Which was previously $135 before I brought my comp. deductible down.

This sucks.

Alright, who's got a better rate...who's got a worse rate?

30 now, and it's now $189/month after the COVID discounts ran out.

I'm shopping around again, its getting out of hand paying that much for a now 8 year old car.

30 now, and it's now $189/month after the COVID discounts ran out.

I'm shopping around again, its getting out of hand paying that much for a now 8 year old car.
You’ll also want to check with independent insurance agents. They have a lot more options available and can usually find a substantially better price than the big companies.

44, a couple parking tickets, California, 50/100/50, $500 deductible, $1200/yr with Mercury. the '17 CX5 is $200 more to insure than the '04 RX. Progressive was $1300/yr for 50/100/25.

44, a couple parking tickets, California, 50/100/50, $500 deductible, $1200/yr with Mercury. the '17 CX5 is $200 more to insure than the '04 RX. Progressive was $1300/yr for 50/100/25.
Wow, nice. Mine is $1000 deductibles. :(

$83/month CX5 turbo ($988 annual). 35 y/o male no accidents or infractions in 10+ years. Off street parking, Baltimore County, Maryland. Bachelors degree, if it matters (I know my grades used to get me a discount).

Full coverage/enhanced uninsured motorist coverage with Geico. Coming up on 20 years continually insured with them. My $1k deductible is high, but I keep that on standby in “car savings” so to me that’s OK.

Edit: 10k annual miles and car is used for personal/pleasure (no commute)

$83/month CX5 turbo ($988 annual). 35 y/o male no accidents or infractions in 10+ years. Off street parking, Baltimore County, Maryland. Bachelors degree, if it matters (I know my grades used to get me a discount).

Full coverage/enhanced uninsured motorist coverage with Geico. Coming up on 20 years continually insured with them. My $1k deductible is high, but I keep that on standby in “car savings” so to me that’s OK.

Edit: 10k annual miles and car is used for personal/pleasure (no commute)
That's more than I pay at Progressive. 3 cars, 2 drivers - I'm 14 years older than you. The 2018 Mazda is the only one with full coverage and $500 deductible. 500K for bodily injury. $413 for 6 months.

That's more than I pay at Progressive. 3 cars, 2 drivers - I'm 14 years older than you. The 2018 Mazda is the only one with full coverage and $500 deductible. 500K for bodily injury. $413 for 6 months.
Murky, yours is pretty close to what I have (2 cars 2 drivers though). Location plays a huge part in the premium from my experience. My premium decreased by about 50% when I moved from the Orlando metro area to northern Alabama.

Murky, yours is pretty close to what I have (2 cars 2 drivers though). Location plays a huge part in the premium from my experience. My premium decreased by about 50% when I moved from the Orlando metro area to northern Alabama.
Prices also vary hugely from company to company, seeming without reason. It's not that one company is a lot cheaper overall, they just seem to have very different formulae.

They can quote "on average people who switch to xyz save xxx" because its the people for whom they quote much better prices, relative to the competition, who switch. Most of the people who get quotes from them probably don't switch.

Prices also vary hugely from company to company, seeming without reason. It's not that one company is a lot cheaper overall, they just seem to have very different formulae.

They can quote "on average people who switch to xyz save xxx" because its the people for whom they quote much better prices, relative to the competition, who switch. Most of the people who get quotes from them probably don't switch.

I hear you there! I’ll have been with Progressive 10 years later this year. GEICO comes close to matching my rate with their initial discount but it doesn’t continue. Allstate and State Farm on the other hand aren’t anywhere close. They’re over double my current progressive rate!

I look forward to it, hopefully. I live 1 mile away from the city line of one of the most murderous, violent cities in the US (per capita). I’m sure the crime doesn’t help.

Planning a move early next year to a place not like that— Pittsburgh. Hopefully insurance will be cheaper. Will definitely be garage kept vs current off-street arrangement.

Age definitely plays a part.. Other than the getting old part, I'm very satisfied with my coverage & price from Erie Insurance (just shy of 50 years with them). 2 drivers (both 65), 2 cars in eastern PA, a 2019 CX-5 GTR & a 2018 Subaru Outback Limited. Up to 8500 miles/year pleasure/personal use. $250 deductible collision/$50 comprehensive. We pay a total of $964/year to cover both vehicles.

My new car insurance renewal rate for March? $166.72/month
Now its going to renew for the next 6 months at $206/month.

I am shopping around again.

No claims, safe driver, 31 now. Both my deductibles are $1k now. It's absolutely absurd. I am absolutely convinced now that age doesn't mean jack in this. I have yet to see age make my rates go down once I wasn't a teenager anymore.

No claims, safe driver, 31 now. Both my deductibles are $1k now. It's absolutely absurd. I am absolutely convinced now that age doesn't mean jack in this. I have yet to see age make my rates go down once I wasn't a teenager anymore.
The insurance company/rates vary (among other things) depending on where you live/zip code. That said I switched from State Farm to Geico and got a lower rate. No hikes the past 4-5 years now. A person in a nearby zip code advised they got a lower rate the other way around (moving from Geico to State Farm).

...in other words shop around and ask friends/family in nearby or same zip codes. A person in Florida telling you they saved money switching to ABC insurance means squat to you.

Wow, that’s absurd!

I’ve been using Progressive for several years now with very reasonable rate, even though I had 2 major claims from hail damage in past several years.

Like I said, I had 2 major claims from hail damage on my CX-5, but the rate increased is still less than everybody else, as everybody else also has my claim history and offers higher rate than my Progressive. I also have $1K deductibles to reduce the premium, and would never file a claim on minor damages.

In addition to the age that seems to be a non-factor on rate nowadays, no-claims helps very little to reduce rate increase too. Also, I used to keep getting comprehensive insurance for my vehicles all the time. But when I found out my premium had never gone down even though cars were getting older, meaning the payout on totaled amount by the insurance company is significantly lower than when cars were newer. That’s the time I realized I should only get the required liability when the car is older (2 out of my 4 cars are over 22+ years old), and saves plenty of money on the insurance premium.

Back