Instrument panel reflection on windshield

:
2019 Cx-9 GT
I am 5"8" and the big offender at night is the infotainment screen. I wish Mazda had made a simple toggle on/off switch for the display that you didn't have to go through several menu steps with the command knob to access.

can we put this task under favorite button - just wondering. it will be few less clicks?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
If you really want a kick in the pants - check out your driver's side window near the mirror. You'll see a reflection of your silver AC vent cover. (silly)
Thiss a known issue since gen-1 CX-5. Theres a TSB issued for gen-1 CX-5 replacing chrome side vents with black ones.

:
CX5
Being 5'9, I don't have the issue, but if I did, I'd simply add a mask in the form of a three or four inch black piece of cardboard protruding out from underneath the top of the instrument panel.

Last edited:
Being 5'9, I don't have the issue, but if I did, I'd simply add a mask in the form of a three or four inch black piece of cardboard protruding out from underneath the top of the instrument panel.

Cmon dude, why should I have to do that, when Mazda should make sure this doesnt happen in the first place?

The Windshield extends past the instrument cluster so some light in theory can be reflected if the angle of viewing is right. I've never had this happen in any car.

How far back are you sitting OP?

Ive also not had this happen in any car either. The problem is that the dash overhang over the instrument panel is not long enough, I was looking at how much dash goes over the instrument panel in other cars and they are super long and prevent this issue.

Ive tried moving my seat every which way, nothing helps. Of course moving it down as much as I can and forward as much I can does make it less noticeable but its still noticeable and distracting.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Cmon dude, why should I have to do that, when Mazda should make sure this doesnt happen in the first place?
Thiss a fair statement. This reflection problem is similar to chrome side vent reflection on front windows where Mazda overlooked it during design. Mazda simply dropped the ball on this for tall drivers. Luckily I have a gen-1 CX-5, and Im shorter than 6!

Thiss a fair statement. This reflection problem is similar to chrome side vent reflection on front windows where Mazda overlooked it during design. Mazda simply dropped the ball on this for tall drivers. Luckily I have a gen-1 CX-5, and Im shorter than 6!

Yeah, I think I will let my wife drive this, she's 5'5 and I'll have to buy something else. Too bad, I really like the car otherwise.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Yeah, I think I will let my wife drive this, she's 5'5 and I'll have to buy something else. Too bad, I really like the car otherwise.

If it's that much of an annoyance that it's worth buying another car over, I'd wait for the RAV4 Prime to come out and put up with it in the meantime (or fashion a visor as TDK1044 suggested).

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I am 6' and I don't have the reflection. Next time I am driving at night I will investigate why I can't see the dash reflection. Maybe it's the way my seat is adjusted or something.

Reflect2.jpg

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
Hi,

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring with premier package. I didn't test drive it at night, but when I drove it at night for the first time, I noticed that I can see the instrument panel reflection on the windshield. I test drove the GT with hologram so I know what that looks like, and this is not it. It's definitely a reflection and it's in the top part of the windshield.
Here's a photo of what it looks like
https://i.imgur.com/7oYpn2t.jpg

If I turn the instrument panel brightness to minimum it disappears, but then I can't see the instrument panel very well.

Has anyone seen this issue? I'm 6'2" btw and I've tried moving my seat every which way and it doesn't tell. it definitely improves if I move my seat down, but it doesn't go away. Seems pretty crazy that this would be happening, seems like a safety issue that interferes with visibility.

Thanks.

Oh. This is probably why I don't see the reflection. I think my brightness is turned down. I didn't change it, it's the default night brightness in my car.

Oh. This is probably why I don't see the reflection. I think my brightness is turned down. I didn't change it, it's the default night brightness in my car.

I think that's the trick they play. They keep it turned down so you don't see the reflection when you test drive it. But for me, it's too low.

:
2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 twin turbodiesel auto - Sonic Silver
I*ve had a go it this and the only way I can see this reflection is to rear up and look through the top 2 inches of the windshield. No way can I get it lower by going forward or backward. I get accused of being a fanboy for not coming down on the critical side but I simply can*t make this work. What I can say is that by raising myself high enough to see this life threatening reflection, I can*t get the HUD to adjust into view so it*s clearly outside the design parameters. Just a suggestion but have you tried to drop these at down to a point you look out of the centre of the windshield because as far as I can see, you won*t be able to see out if you lower the sun visor on a sunny day.

Y52, you often come out with such knowledgeable posts but you will insist in playing up to these daft negatives seemingly at will. To say Mazda *dropped the ball* is not just melodramatic but unfounded. To hang it on the back of the MkI vents is disappointing given that it doesn*t apply to this model and Mazda paid for a rework on the ones it did.

I*ve had a go it this and the only way I can see this reflection is to rear up and look through the top 2 inches of the windshield. No way can I get it lower by going forward or backward. I get accused of being a fanboy for not coming down on the critical side but I simply can*t make this work. What I can say is that by raising myself high enough to see this life threatening reflection, I can*t get the HUD to adjust into view so it*s clearly outside the design parameters. Just a suggestion but have you tried to drop these at down to a point you look out of the centre of the windshield because as far as I can see, you won*t be able to see out if you lower the sun visor on a sunny day.

Y52, you often come out with such knowledgeable posts but you will insist in playing up to these daft negatives seemingly at will. To say Mazda *dropped the ball* is not just melodramatic but unfounded. To hang it on the back of the MkI vents is disappointing given that it doesn*t apply to this model and Mazda paid for a rework on the ones it did.

How tall our you? What you consider rear up is probably my normal position.

This is what I see.
https://i.imgur.com/7oYpn2t.jpg

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Based on OPs picture, the reflection is mostly on the center part of the windshield from OPs view. And its a Touring theres no HUD for him. Folding down the sun visor like some suggested wont help.

7oYpn2t.jpg

The following two posts are gen-2 CX-5 owners from this thread. Apparently therere more than one tall person are having similar problem. I test-drove a 2017 CX-5 when gen-2 CX-5 just came out. The first thing I checked was the reflection of the chrome side vents, and to my surprise theyre still there on front windows even though the TSB has issued at the time to fix the problem on gen-1 CX-5!

once i read this post, i now cannot unsee the dang reflection..thanks man! haha
but in all honestly yes definitely an issue with the taller drivers, i would have to play with the seat adjustments so i can unsee this reflection now..also another option could be to fold the sun visors all the way forward.
If you really want a kick in the pants - check out your driver's side window near the mirror. You'll see a reflection of your silver AC vent cover. (silly)

Latest posts