Installing GT Rear Tailights on Touring Model

I guess the question comes down to is whether or not the Touring model comes with the wiring to connect a GT tailight that has LEDs.

I would guess that there is a BCM update required too - to turn off the bulb-out detection (hyperflash).

I would guess that there is a BCM update required too - to turn off the bulb-out detection (hyperflash).

If one installs LED bulbs in the non-GT versions, the bulb-out never illuminates. So I am not sure that would be a problem if you installed the GT taillights on a non-GT.

If one installs LED bulbs in the non-GT versions, the bulb-out never illuminates.

NOT my experience. I put LED bulbs in the turn signal positions front and back of my 2019 Touring, trying them separately (front only, rear only and both F+R). If the load was not correct - i.e. no load resistors - I got hyperflashing in either or both F+R positions. Now I don't know if the bulb-out indicator illuminated or not, I didn't look, but the hyperflash was both annoying and embarassing.

I ended up getting bulbs with built in load resistors. That worked fine in the rear-only positions, but when adding the fronts it was still not enough load and the turn signals hyperflashed (fronts are 7444 bulbs so sink more current than the rear 7440's). I had to add 6-ohm load resistors at the rear, which fooled the BCM enough to flash normally.

I will say though, that I also replaced the rear side/brake lights with LEDs and they do not require additional load, but work without errors.

On the GT & Signature models, do the rear taillights have a special wiring harness vs the Touring?
Not sure if I get the GT LED taillights whether it will be plug & play or it will not work?

Latest posts

Back