installing a gt28rs turbo questions

jason a

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
My stock turbo finally took a crap on me, I recently purchased the gt28rs Garrett turbo was wondering what all I need to do and what all I need to install this turbo?

You'll need to clock it, modify the WGA bracket and get a reducer for your intake. Other than that, it's pretty much a drop in replacement for the stock one.

What do you mean by clock it? And what kind of modifying will I need to do to the bracket?

Also the gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and turbo has been discontinued by Mazda, anyone know where I can get one? Im gonna check and see if Garrett makes one

atpturbo has most of the parts for any turbo install. you need a t25 manifold gasket, and likely a t25 5 bolt exhaust downpipe gasket. most of the oil and coolant lines should work without modification.
i personally dont know what mods will need to be done to the bracket, probably shimming of some sort but this is a good opportunity to replace the waste gate actuator as well with the atp one.
clocking the turbo just means taking off the compressor housing and pointing it a different way.. many people point it down and route their fmic to suit.

Im installing the turbo now im having trouble with the actuator it hits the bell housing how can I fix thiis

Did you get a specific bracket for the GT28?

If you are still using the actuator that came with the gt28 you can clock it more and just make a small plate to offset the actuator rod.

like so
P1010027.jpg

Got it on I welded an extension on the actuator and modified the bracket but pushing 9psi

Latest posts

Back