installing a gt28rs turbo questions

jason a

yeller speed
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
My stock turbo finally took a crap on me, I recently purchased the gt28rs Garrett turbo was wondering what all I need to do and what all I need to install this turbo?

KrayzieFox

Is it a Mazda or a Subaru
:
01 MP3 Turbo
You'll need to clock it, modify the WGA bracket and get a reducer for your intake. Other than that, it's pretty much a drop in replacement for the stock one.

jason a

yeller speed
:
What do you mean by clock it? And what kind of modifying will I need to do to the bracket?

jason a

yeller speed
:
Also the gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and turbo has been discontinued by Mazda, anyone know where I can get one? Im gonna check and see if Garrett makes one

:
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege, 2002 Protege 5, 2003 Protege ESGT
atpturbo has most of the parts for any turbo install. you need a t25 manifold gasket, and likely a t25 5 bolt exhaust downpipe gasket. most of the oil and coolant lines should work without modification.
i personally dont know what mods will need to be done to the bracket, probably shimming of some sort but this is a good opportunity to replace the waste gate actuator as well with the atp one.
clocking the turbo just means taking off the compressor housing and pointing it a different way.. many people point it down and route their fmic to suit.

jason a

yeller speed
:
Im installing the turbo now im having trouble with the actuator it hits the bell housing how can I fix thiis

Cleverfrog

Binford Tools
Contributor
:
1989 RX-7 GXL Blaze Red
Did you get a specific bracket for the GT28?

If you are still using the actuator that came with the gt28 you can clock it more and just make a small plate to offset the actuator rod.

like so
P1010027.jpg

jason a

yeller speed
:
Got it on I welded an extension on the actuator and modified the bracket but pushing 9psi