Installed rear sway bar yesterday

dcomiskey

:
2007 MS3 GT
Finally, found some time to work on the car. Lucky I did. My left rear caliper was leaking brake fluid from the little drain nozzle. Oops.

Anyway, compared to my GTI, this install was a BREEZE. Took me about 2 hours, but only because I took my time. Even if you're a complete amateur, you can replace the RSB on our cars easily. I'll post pics tomorrow hopefully.

Definitely the "right" feel for this car that I've been missing since I sold my GTI. Feels much more balanced and a lot less lean in the corners. However, the car still realllllllly likes to understeer when pushed hard. I don't know if it's the tires, air pressures (40F, 36R) or camber. I'd love to be able to adjust the front camber on my car.

I've been looking at RSB's for the MS3 for a while and I, like you, previously owned a GTI. And I will agree 100% that installing a RSB on a MKIII was a total pain in the ass! I had a 28mm adjustable and the clamps used to attach the bar to the "axle" were so hard to install.

I could be wrong but I think I have seen some camber plates for the MS3 but I am not sure if they are specifically paired with an aftermarket suspension or not. Anyways, hope to see some pictures of the install!

I still have the fsb. But, that's a bigger project than I could tackle on my own. Still not sure if I'm going to do that myself or just have the dealer do it.

I kinda figured that's what's up. I got sway bars for my old car I used to drive and the rear went in so easy but the front was a huge job requiring me to drop the sub frame and stuff. So I went to like every shop I could think of and nobody could put in the front bar so I never got it in. Long story short, I don't think I will be buying swaybars again.

I kinda figured that's what's up. I got sway bars for my old car I used to drive and the rear went in so easy but the front was a huge job requiring me to drop the sub frame and stuff. So I went to like every shop I could think of and nobody could put in the front bar so I never got it in. Long story short, I don't think I will be buying swaybars again.

Weird. Maybe it depends on the dealer, but my Mazda dealer actually has a guy that specializes in aftermarket installs. The FSB def requires dropping the sub-frame, which is a pain and a tad dangerous.

However, I wouldn't stay away from bars. The RSB transformed my GTI into a fantastic car. I can already feel a diff on my MS3.

They do make it feel nice. You are lucky to have a dealer that will do that sort of stuff. My new mod policy is that if I can't install it myself then I don't need it.

They do make it feel nice. You are lucky to have a dealer that will do that sort of stuff. My new mod policy is that if I can't install it myself then I don't need it.
It is possible to install the front yourself. Just give yourself plenty of time. The only thing you need in addition to the things you would normally have around your shop is a big torque wrench for putting the sub-frame bolts back in.
However, try to pick a day it is not going to rain.(boom06)

Attachments

• rain (Small).jpg
    rain (Small).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 242
I didn't know the MS3 front sub frame needed to be dropped to install a sway bar. Things seem to get omitted from user reviews.

if you want more oversteer, make your rear higher than the front tire pressure.

if you track your car 4psi makes a big difference between front and back.

For those who've installed a RSB, are you experiencing a lot of clunking in the back of the car now?? I have to go under and re-check all the bolts. Every bump I go over it clunks. Dammit!

Check the "u" clamps, or whatever you call them.... I've read somewhere here, or some other forum that they were either loose, or just needed to be tightened up a bit more from setting.... If you put loc-tite on the bolts, you should have no bolts coming loose.... Then again, anything can happen.

-J

Back