Installed Mazda 3 Shift Knob

Psyklops

Contributor
:
2003 Spicy Orange Mazdaspeed Protege
Wow, I just installed a Mazda 3 shift knob in my Mazdaspeed and I have to say it's awesome. The quality of the Mazda 3 knob is excellent - it is heavier than stock and feels better to the touch and grip. It sits higher than the stock knob so it's easier to reach (I'm pretty tall so this is a big bonus), but isn't as long so the shift boot can slide down to the stock height leaving a gap between the top of the boot and the bottom of the knob. If I kind of fiddle with the boot so it isn't tucked in as neatly as the stock placement, it will push up against the knob. Any suggestions on how to fix this other than using glue or removing the whole boot and sliding a washer over the lever?

PS - Yes, I know this thread is full of sexual innuendo, so please refrain when responding! (eyeballs)

Fixed it. I just used a heavy duty elastic band and wrapped it once around the lever then pulled the boot over it, wrapped it once around again, pulled the boot up, and repeated until the elastic was taught around the lever. Worked like a charm and the boot is not going anywhere.

Last edited:
-Kristin said:
hahaha, i want to see piktours of this.

As requested!

Attachments

• 3knob1.jpg
    3knob1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,195
  • 3knob2.jpg
    3knob2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,172
I've got the M3 shift knob in my P5 too, and I love it, for all the reasons you described above. Def. better quality than stock. I'll have to try the elastic band trick though...

MyZmZm said:
I've got the M3 shift knob in my P5 too, and I love it, for all the reasons you described above. Def. better quality than stock. I'll have to try the elastic band trick though...

Yeah, now that I've had it in for awhile, I can definately say that shifting is actually made easier with this knob. Why? It's simple physics really, a longer, heavier lever gives you more leverage thus making it easier to throw into gear (it fights through any resistance more easily).

Last edited:
looks good and also goes well with the interior...i for one have the Kartboy knob, and i love it...hell i may buy an extra for the heck of it...FYI the Kartboy is hot as hell in the summer and cold as hell in the winter...i need a shift knob for each season lol

Attachments

• IMGP0247.JPG
    IMGP0247.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Back