Install kits still good for 2016 model?

Awesome, thanks for the info! Glad someone was able to take the initiative on this and find a solution. Any 'glitches' you have seen? do all the steering wheel controls work properly, including the phone ones?

No glitches, it all works well! And thank you too. Like I said, this was a collective effort over a period of time, Your early photos help get it rolling and I know I referenced them more than a few times.

Everything works perfect here too, it just sounds 100 times better than before. Thanks for joining me in cracking up this install RG_Flyer.

Everything works perfect here too, it just sounds 100 times better than before. Thanks for joining me in cracking up this install RG_Flyer.

You bet. I look back and realize I started this thread last April, five months before I even bought my CX-5! I did notice that Metra now has the correct USB adapter on their site configurator. You're to thank for that, they were very interested in this thread.

Now that I have my backup camera sorted, this system leaves me wanting nothing, I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
Wow, this is great. Thanks for all the work!

I wasn't able to hook up the pin on the bluetooth module because pin F (Green/Organe) is empty on my header...
The ASWC-1 instruction match yours, so I would think my pinout would match. Anyone else run into this?

Again, you guys did awesome. I spend hours looking for the right harness. Thanks!

I wasn't able to hook up the pin on the bluetooth module because pin F (Green/Organe) is empty on my header...
The ASWC-1 instruction match yours, so I would think my pinout would match. Anyone else run into this?

Bear in mind the GRN/ORN wire is on the Bluetooth adapter behind the glovebox to the right, not on the headunit's harness.

^ I know this is a long shot but any improved radio reception with the new head units??

I can say a definite yes on my system. The Pioneer has an HD tuner which is the best radio I've heard, but even the analog stations sound great.

The album art on the HD stations is kinda cool too.

^ I know this is a long shot but any improved radio reception with the new head units??

I also have seen improved reception. As long as your antenna has not been damaged, the main determinant to reception is how sensitive the radio tuner is (and of course quality of the signal coming from the tower, but there is nothing you can do about that) .

And...

RG_Flyer you are a gentleman and a scholar! I'm super grateful for the shared knowledge.

Bear in mind the GRN/ORN wire is on the Bluetooth adapter behind the glovebox to the right, not on the headunit's harness.

SilverSteel - I was out of town before (away from my photos), but see if these help regarding the green/orange wire:

k0pteh.jpg

Military-spliced and insulated with liquid electrical tape

2ns6qe9.jpg

Location of Bluetooth module (behind glove box). Green wire extended to grey-red on Axxess module

There is one last modification I would like to make. Hooking up the Aux input (next to the USB header underneath the temperature controls).

Before I dive headlong into figuring this out on my own does anyone have any input?

Otherwise, I plan on taking a battery and a multi-meter and finding where on the wiring header the aux signal wires end up.

I am planning the same, just haven't got there yet. Here is some information I found (and saved) from this site, I just cannot find the thread to credit the photo to:

295v191.gif

Wow, that was much harder than I thought! Gives me more appreciation for the work RG_Flyer and awpgti did.

So, the aux signal ends up in the Bluetooth header behind the stereo.
(fyi, Bluetooth header behind the glove box does not have to be plugged in, the signal goes straight from the jack to the header)

I cut up an old set of headphones to steal the plug and about 8 inches of wires. I then used those wires to tap into the audio signal from the Bluetooth header and then plugged the other end into the stereo. works great!

Red/White: Left Channel (+)
Red/Blue: Right Channel (+)
Black: Ground (-)
Green: Bridge (grounded when cable is plugged in, probably not needed)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Aux Wiring Guide.jpg
    Aux Wiring Guide.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 1,407
Last edited:
Thank you so much RG_Flyer & awpgti! I purchased all the parts mentioned on this thread, along with the Pioneer AVH-X2800BS, which is all my wife will need in her new CX-5. May I ask, did you have to match the wire colors on the Metra harness based on the back of the harness in the dash, or will it work by simply matching up the colors between radio (head unit) and the Metra?

Last edited:
Thank you so much RG_Flyer & awpgti! I purchased all the parts mentioned on this thread, along with the Pioneer AVH-X2800BS, which is all my wife will need in her new CX-5. May I ask, did you have to match the wire colors on the Metra harness based on the back of the harness in the dash, or will it work by simply matching up the colors between radio (head unit) and the Metra?

Thanks, glad it helped! You want to color match the Metra harnesses' wires to the Pioneer harnesses' wires, the Mazda harness colors are irrelevant and non-standard in the aftermarket car audio world.

The only point the Mazda harnesses' wire colors become relevant is connecting the Axxess SWC-1 or if you connect the OEM Aux port as SilverSteel describes a few posts above.

Good luck, it is well worth the effort! And congrats on having a wife that drives a manual! Give her a hug.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks again RG_Flyer! I have all day tomorrow to work on this -- very excited. My wife says thanks for the hug! ;)

SilverSteel - I was out of town before (away from my photos), but see if these help regarding the green/orange wire:
Location of Bluetooth module (behind glove box). Green wire extended to grey-red on Axxess module

Thanks again RG_Flyer! I followed the instructions on this thread and now have a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit sounding excellent in my wife's 2016 CX-5 Sport Manual 6spd. The only thing that I wasn't able to get working were the phone buttons on the steering wheel (bluetooth -- green/orange wire connected to the grey-red on Axxess module). Our vehicle came with the standard cd player unit (no lcd). These buttons were not functional when we purchased the car, so I'm guessing that the factory bluetooth module behind the glovebox just isn't functional. Or am I missing something?

Thanks again RG_Flyer! I followed the instructions on this thread and now have a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit sounding excellent in my wife's 2016 CX-5 Sport Manual 6spd. The only thing that I wasn't able to get working were the phone buttons on the steering wheel (bluetooth -- green/orange wire connected to the grey-red on Axxess module). Our vehicle came with the standard cd player unit (no lcd). These buttons were not functional when we purchased the car, so I'm guessing that the factory bluetooth module behind the glovebox just isn't functional. Or am I missing something?

First of all, congratulations on the successful install! That 4200NEX might be in my future if I ever decide to embrace Carplay.

As for the buttons, they should have worked, even with the OEM system. There is only one audio option for the 2016 manual Sport, no LCD or backup camera, but the Bluetooth works on the base radio. I would suspect a defect.

Sorry this is a few weeks late. I may be misunderstanding the situation, but I do not believe that a bad Bluetooth module would effect the buttons on the steering wheel when connected to an aftermarket system. I have my Bluetooth module unplugged an all by buttons work...

The only defect I could see causing this problem is if the physical button on the steering wheel is broken.

goswish - It may be more trouble than its worth to you but you can manually program your aswc-1. I had to do this to get push-to-talk working for my head unit.

Here's the manual, the instructions for self programming start on p.11
http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INSTASWC_web.pdf

If things go wrong you can always just reset the aswc and go back to auto-detect.

Back