Injen CAI & HKS BOV

Unkillable2

:
Mazdaspeed 3 (True Red)
first off... i don't know a lot about cars and the Speed 3 is my first manual car! lol i just got the Injen CAI installed tw days ago and i love that thing, it made me cum a little everytime i hear the factory BOV! LOL ok serious now... i was just wondering how come i don't hear the BOV when i go from 1st to 2rd? (dunno) oh and i am really tempting to get one of those HKS BOV but i really have no clue what a BOV does beside making that sound. i tried looking for an answer on wikipedia and i found this "The unique sound caused by a blowoff valve (but not a compressor bypass valve) sometimes comes at a price. On a car where the blowoff valve is mounted after the mass airflow sensor, venting to atmosphere confuses the engine control unit (ECU) of the car. The ECU is told it has a specific amount of air in the intake system, and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blowoff valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a period of time. Engines with a manifold absolute pressure regulated ECU or where the blowoff is mounted upstream of the MAF sensor are not affected. Typically this isn't a major issue, but sometimes it can lead to hesitation or stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed. This situation worsens with higher boost pressures. Eventually this can foul spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter (when running rich, not all the fuel is properly burned in the cylinder which can allow unburned fuel to combust upon contact with and melt the converter or to cause incompletely combusted fuel to leave heavy carbon deposits)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

will this really happen if i put an hks bov BUT THEN the speed 3 come with an BOV already so umm... i'm confuse! lol

You will have to get the recirc options on the HKS BOV. A standard MS3 has a BPV (by pass valve) that recirculates the lost pressure. A BOV usually puts it out to atmosphere. The Speed is designed for recirculation which is why you could damage it. An upgraded BPV (not BOV) is the answer if you are concerned or car illiterate.

TurboXS, Forge. Forge is the most common and easiest to tune from what I hear and it is extremely affordable $150 ish..

tune? what do you mean by that? lol i can't just replace it with the factory and go? O_O oh so are you saying all the ppl that have hks BOV are damaging there car? and with the recirclation option on the HKS BOV, it wont do any harm right? thx for the help!

Last edited:
The forge you have to worry about changing shims and springs according to your mods.

Yes this is correct, The HKS V2 mazdaspeed specific is actually the easiest and most convient to install. remove the recirc hose from the stock,remove the vac hose from the stock bpv, remove the 2 10mm bolts.

remove the allen head bolts on the hks valve,install the recirc fitting,reinstall the allen heads. use the provided gasket between the IC flange and the HKS valve, use the 2 supplied 10mm heads reinstall the recirc and vac hose. Reset the ECU. DONE

The forge you have to worry about changing shims and springs according to your mods.

Yes this is correct, The HKS V2 mazdaspeed specific is actually the easiest and most convient to install. remove the recirc hose from the stock,remove the vac hose from the stock bpv, remove the 2 10mm bolts.

remove the allen head bolts on the hks valve,install the recirc fitting,reinstall the allen heads. use the provided gasket between the IC flange and the HKS valve, use the 2 supplied 10mm heads reinstall the recirc and vac hose. Reset the ECU. DONE

I just made my very own DIY HKS STICKY! (YIPPY)

The injen CAI was my 1st mod. It made the pshhh sound whenever I gave a little extra gas and let off the pedal. Maybe you just granny 1st to 2nd too much to hear it. Ive got the forge bpv. Its nice but I actually prefer the stock noise. The forge sounds like super mario is doing construction under the hood. Works well though and it is cheap / easy to install. There are plenty of posts in here about which springs / shims to use with the forge bpv. I use the blue spring with 2 shims.

first off... i don't know a lot about cars and the Speed 3 is my first manual car! lol i just got the Injen CAI installed tw days ago and i love that thing, it made me cum a little everytime i hear the factory BOV! LOL ok serious now...

maybe the most disturbing thing I have ever read on this site...

no reply? -_- so what benefit does replacing the factory bpv with an after market bpv give?

The stock BPV has been known to leak and not hold boost. Best way to find out if yours isnt holding boost is to get a boost gauge. Regardless wether it does or not, an aftermarket BPV will help you hold boost better than the stocker.

Just found out today mine is leaking, dropped down to 8 psi at 4000-4500 rpm in 2nd gear. No good

Back