Infotainment Touch Screen Access In-Motion

mutinybay

:
Cx-5
Hey guys,
New to be forum. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the new 21016 Cx-5 GT. After my test ride the only thing I didn't like was the fact you couldn't access the touch screen while driving. Is there a way to bypass this feature?

I get that it's a safety feature, but It's never been a problem with my current car (Jeep GC). In addition, it'd be nice if the passenger could access it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a hack for the infotainment system available that takes care of that for you...

Usually there some sort of wiring hack, or a sequence of screen touches that can unlock the screen for use while in motion. My wife just got her CX-5 6 days ago so I haven't come accross much information. But with the redundant controls in the center console, there really is no reason to look for a screen bypass.

My guess is that the system uses the VSS wire to disbale the touchscreen since it does work at very low speed (so I have read). But I'm new to Mazda and very inexperienced with how they tend to do things.

Last edited:
As Ulrich said, there are USB (or wifi) hacks available that will allow you to turn off that feature, so that the touchscreen works whether you are in motion or stationary. Look on the mazda3revolution website, 2014+, infotainment thread.

Cool thanks guys. I was hoping there would be some type of tutorial but I'll comb through that site to find my answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ulrich. It looks like that's a relatively straightforward guide that I'll be able to follow. I won't let the infotainment limitations stop me from getting the CX-5!

The voice of reason in these most unreasonable times

Both you and your passenger can still use the knob in the console when moving.

In one of the many MAZDA videos, the exec explains that this is done because for a touch screen, you have to take eyes off road to see where on screen you are touching your finger. Whereas a knob, or even using the speech system is safer when in motion.

Back