Infotainment Screen suddenly too dim to read upon shutdown

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Sorry for the awkward title, but it's the best I could do other than "Problem with Infotainment Screen."

I have my Fuel Economy Monitor set to "Ending Screen Display" (Pg 4-109 of the 2019 manual.) This means that when the ignition is turned to OFF, the Fuel Economy Monitor appears for a few seconds so I can view the stats for that trip, then it fades away and the final Mazda logo appears before the system fully powers down.

Starting today, the Fuel Economy Monitor screen appears when I turn off the ignition, but it's WAY too dim for me to read. When the Fuel Economy Monitor then closes after a few seconds and the final Mazda logo appears, the logo is also too dim to really see. I made 2 stops today and then arrived home, and all 3 times the Fuel Economy Monitor was too dim to read. I could barely tell that it was there...you gotta look real close. It was fine last night.

I have also noticed that when I unmute the radio, the little speaker icon takes longer to fade out, and the radio station (Entertainment Screen) takes longer to brighten up. Anyway, I THINK this part is new behaviour. I switched around from screen to screen (HOME>NAV>FAVORITES>ENTERTAINMENT) to see if this is a universal screen refresh issue...it's not.

I just had the software updated the 10th of this month (11 days ago) and things have been working perfectly.

Anyone else have an issue with a screen going dim like this? Did I unknowingly change some setting?

The screen seems to be back to normal.

I drove the car on Saturday (when the issue first arose) and Sunday (yesterday, when the problem persisted) then again today, when the problem went away.

It's strange. Several trips (start the car/turn the car off/restart the car) on Saturday, it sat overnight, then two trips yesterday and the problem persisted. Drove it to the store this afternoon and the screen was back to normal when I turned the car off. Drove it home and the screen remained back to normal when I turned the car off.

I didn't change any settings because there are none that could have affected this.

Could this possibly be related to Auto headlights function that dims the instrument lights when headlights are switched on?

I don't know.

I always leave the Auto headlights ON, and have never had this issue before, regardless of the lighting conditions. But that's a thought. If it happens again I'll play with the headlight switch and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's hard to test different scenarios on these cars because my experience tells me that shutting off the car than them immediately restarting it does not do a fresh software load. It seems that they have to sit for some time. At least for the entertainment (XM) software and NAV system issues.

Back