Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

Just had the same problem with three of the corners had spider cracks. Dealer replaced it no charge under warranty with 5 days left on bumper to bumper warranty. Invoice did not show cost. However, new unit screen is different, with vertical black bars about half inch on both edges. Effectively making the screen size smaller?

@PapaJoe What year and trim level is your car, and what region are you in? Does the invoice show the part numbers of the replaced components?

You can google the part number (if you have it) to see if it is a direct replacement for your model year and trim. If the screen appears to be smaller now, the only thing I can think of is that they replaced your screen with one from the base trim level. For 2020 models and older, the base model gets a 7.0" screen, while other trims get a larger screen.

2018 CX9 Grand Touring. There's a sticker on the new screen that says Tk4. It does look shorter in height . Can they substitute if its under warranty? Should I take it back?

2018 CX9 Grand Touring. There's a sticker on the new screen that says Tk4. It does look shorter in height . Can they substitute if its under warranty? Should I take it back?

I would definitely take it back. Does the invoice list the part number? The wrong display is part number TK48-61-1J0, which is the 7" screen that only comes on the base Sport/GS model with no packages. The correct part number is TK49-61-1J0B, which is the part number for the 8" screen that comes standard on the GT. I found this info on realmazdaparts.com.

The part should be a direct replacement for your model. It is absolutely unacceptable for them to downgrade your screen. Get them to replace it with the correct screen, and if you get any pushback, escalate to Mazda Corporate. Are you in the US or Canada?

Downgrading would be a big no. But the 8” screen doesn’t fill the entire frame and still has a significant black edge around it. You can measure the size of the lit part of screen diagonally (top corner to opposite bottom corner) to see if you have a 7” or an 8”

Here is a photo of the screen in my 2018 CX-9 GT (Old photo taken before picking it up). You can see the black edge around the screen.

E4CF3318-CD94-4D87-A838-9FC42E0ED241.jpeg

Thank you for responding. You have been very helpful and knowledgeable. The viewable screen does measure 8" corner to corner. What was confusing me is that I don't remember having those 1" verticle black edges on my original screen, because that's where the internal spider web cracks appeared and it was interfering with the viewing area. Oh well, maybe I was just imagining it. Thanks again for your time.

I thought it was odd for a dealer to make such a glaring mistake, but it can happen. Glad it was sorted out with youri's help!

Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
My daughter had the same problem with her 2015 CX 3. Asked the dealer during recent service in late 2020 and Mazda H/O initially refused. Wrote letter to Capital city newspaper with a cars section each Friday. They publish a selection of readers issues and car makers responses. The writer forwarded on my issue to senior Mazda staff and got a positive response with Replacement unit and labour also covered. Since it seems to be quite a common problem, it has to be a manufacturing defect - product has to be fit for purpose and it seems a random number on the production line were
4DA85780-6409-43F7-9C1F-C8A3991C51A2.jpeg
D3C912BC-6BA5-414E-AAC5-AD2DF890CB95.jpeg

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones... I too received the notice in the mail; will definitely monitor this

Mine also cracked up in the recent cold spell. Three corners full of "cracks". Local Mazda dealership inspected it and has decided to replace it free of charge.

There's a local lady on facebook who has a 2018 signature I believe. She had the same thing happen, but Mazda is, as far as I know, refusing to fix it. They are only fixing 2016/2017 and supposedly only with certain build dates or some other criteria. They quoted her something like CAN$1600 for the screen, I think $1800 for the full repair. Ouch. I'm pretty sure you can get that screen cheaper elsewhere, but it's not cheap. I imagine the junkyards have those stripped out right away too.

I had the same issue after the cold front came in and warm back up last week. Took it to the dealership they asking over 2k to fix it. Called mazda directly they said my vehicle is out of warranty. Isn't mazda suppose to fix this for free? Or was this on a recall issue?
Plz any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

I had the same issue after the cold front came in and warm back up last week. Took it to the dealership they asking over 2k to fix it. Called mazda directly they said my vehicle is out of warranty. Isn't mazda suppose to fix this for free? Or was this on a recall issue?
Thanks
What year is yours?

Thanks

A special service mailer was sent out, but apparently it was only applicable to 2016/2017 models. Here is a link to a post that shows the mailer. The mailer says that affected models will have the warranty for the screen extended to 7 years to cover the issue.

Attached is the TSB related to this issue, which does include the 2018 MY. I would contact Mazda Corporate again and reference the TSB. If they still refuse, advise them that you will be filing a complaint with the BBB and the NHTSA (you can say the cracked screen makes it hard to read the map when Navigation is used, thus making it a safety issue). Unfortunately the existence of a TSB does not mean that Mazda is on the hook for the cost of the repair, it just means that they have acknowledged that there is a problem and the TSB advises how to fix the problem.

Hopefully you can get them to fix it for you. Otherwise your alternative option is to buy a replacement screen from a junkyard and have someone replace it for you (or DIY). Good luck!

Attachments

• TSB_MAZDA CONNECT CENTER DISPLAY CRACKING aka SPIDER CRACKING.pdf
    158.9 KB · Views: 358
Do we have a list of the affected part numbers and the replacement part numbers? That might be useful for those who choose to source a replacement screen on their own. Getting a replacement with the same issue would suck.

Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
My CX-9 is doing the same exact thing. Taking it in next week.
image.jpg

There is a recall for the cracking of the infotainment center screen but not for later models. If you have this problem, please contact Mazda Customer service at 800.222.5500 so the issue can be documented and hopefully they will issue a recall. I was told that if a recall is issued, they will even reimburse anyone who has paid for the repair. They do not monitor online forums so please let them know if you have an issue with a shattered screen. It sure ruins the looks of my car and is an expensive repair if you are not under warranty. I was impressed with their cust service. My call was answered by an English speaking, knowledgeable, pleasant, human after 4 rings! Outstanding!

Back