Infotainment Reset

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
My son's 2016 Mazda 3 wouldn't start recently due to a dead battery. I tried jump starting it from my CX-5 to no avail. We replaced the battery. It started right up & all is good with his Mazda 3. On my drive home I noticed that I lost all my radio presets & upon checking I found my infotainment settings had returned to factory default.

I returned the settings back to what they had been & they're fine now.
Anyone encounter anything similar?

I'm guessing the 3's battery was so bad it was shorted and when you tried to jump it that pulled your voltage low enough to lose the settings.

But that and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee :)

I'm guessing the 3's battery was so bad it was shorted and when you tried to jump it that pulled your voltage low enough to lose the settings.

But that and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee :)

Not that it matters but it's more likely the settings were lost when the original battery was disconnected for replacement.

Not that it matters but it's more likely the settings were lost when the original battery was disconnected for replacement.
The settings in my CX-5 were lost. I can understand losing the settings in the 3 when we swapped it's battery out. We tried to jump the 3 from my CX-5 prior to swapping out the 3's battery. We didn't mess with the CX-5's battery.

I kind of agree with RedBaron's evaluation above.

My 19 lost all it settings once when the battery was fine. PITA putting everything back in.

It is interesting how you could lose settings in the jumping vehicle. Never heard of that before.

How long did you wait before you attempted to start your Mazda3 after cable connection is complete? Were your CX5 running at the time when you started your Mazda3?
Usually I would wait for 1-2 mins before I start the dead vehicle. The jumping vehice has to be running at the time. I have helped jump many vehicles included my own. Never had any issue yet.

Nowadays, I keep a li-ion battery starter in each of my cars. It causes less than $60, and I won't need any assistance from others in case, and can help fellow drivers in need w/o much risk of shorting my vehicle.

It is interesting how you could lose settings in the jumping vehicle. Never heard of that before.

How long did you wait before you attempted to start your Mazda3 after cable connection is complete? Were your CX5 running at the time when you started your Mazda3?
Usually I would wait for 1-2 mins before I start the dead vehicle. The jumping vehice has to be running at the time. I have helped jump many vehicles included my own. Never had any issue yet.

Nowadays, I keep a li-ion battery starter in each of my cars. It causes less than $60, and I won't need any assistance from others in case, and can help fellow drivers in need w/o much risk of shorting my vehicle.
One of my son's buddy's did have a li-ion starter. They tried that first on his 3. It tried to crank & then died. I wasn't there when they tried that. I've jumped many cars in my days. I did exactly what you mention. I waited several minutes after connecting the cables, had the CX-5 running. Nothing, Wouldn't crank at all. I tried it several times. When we swapped out the 3's battery it immediately cranked on first try.

Sounds like your old battery was not just dead, but bad also.... hence, jumping did not work.
Because of that, your CX5 battery might also got drained so badly that it lost some of the memory stored in the system. Bad battery was likely to blame. Glad you replaced it.

Back