Infotainment rebooted on its own, is this normal?

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
I was driving in my 2019 cx5 gt the other day and the infotainment just on its own rebooted. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

No, just updated iPhone last night.
Then it’s just the shittt infotainment system.. I already had the usb plugs replaced by Mazda over a month ago when my phone stopped connecting to the CarPlay. Now it’s the infotainment crashing on its own. So frustrating with Mazda..

Then it’s just the shittt infotainment system.. I already had the usb plugs replaced by Mazda over a month ago when my phone stopped connecting to the CarPlay. Now it’s the infotainment crashing on its own. So frustrating with Mazda..
If your infotainment system was stable but suddenly started rebooting periodically, go to your Mazda dealer to diagnose the problem and mainly to make a record if you still have new-car warranty. Thus if the problem continues, you can force Mazda to fix or replace the whole unit based on your complaining history.

IMO, this sudden change of behavior on rebooting is caused by the hardware, not the software. The software will never change but the parts in hardware could degrade to cause the system reboot.

My 2019 GTR did 3 reboots in a single in town driving session earlier this week 9/15/2020. I have an appointment 9/21/2020 to check it out.

Same happened to my 2020 sig cx-5. The infotainment rebooted on its on own couple of times when i was driving with my google maps and car play on. Is this Mazda os issue or ios upgrade issue?

same thing here, went to dealership, they replaced with a new sd card, all good after that.

Same happened to my 2020 sig cx-5. The infotainment rebooted on its on own couple of times when i was driving with my google maps and car play on. Is this Mazda os issue or ios upgrade issue?
I suspect iOS upgrade issue. I was completely ok until the new update. Someone told me to try deleting Mazda profile from CarPlay in the iPhone and then pairing it agains.

I hadn’t experienced this until recently updating my phone to iOS 14. Did the same thing happen to you?

I’m still on IOS 13 and it happened to me a couple times in the past few days. No idea why; hadn’t been a big problem before. I also had to hard-reboot a third time because it froze up while using onboard navigation and plugging in my iPhone for CarPlay. Phone wasn’t connected when it spontaneously rebooted. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If your infotainment system was stable but suddenly started rebooting periodically, go to your Mazda dealer to diagnose the problem and mainly to make a record if you still have new-car warranty. Thus if the problem continues, you can force Mazda to fix or replace the whole unit based on your complaining history.

IMO, this sudden change of behavior on rebooting is caused by the hardware, not the software. The software will never change but the parts in hardware could degrade to cause the system reboot.
Good idea to notify dealer.

I have a 2020. This has suddenly happening on vehicles of multiple different model years, no?

My 2019 GTR had the infotainment reboot on its own several times last week. Android phone running google maps and podcast addict apps for multi-hour drives. The audio would usually start having issues shortly before it rebooted. It was worse on Friday after updating my phone. Still running Android 9.

Updated to iOS 14.2 public beta and also removed Mazda from CarPlay and paired to my car again. Been driving 2 hours straight with no rebooting. FYI.

I would say that 90% of complaints on Subaru forums are the infotainment. Don't feel bad.

Updated to iOS 14.0 a couple of days ago. Today, for the first time in the 12 months that I've had my CX5, the infotainment system rebooted on its own while using CarPlay. It happened only once during ~3 hours of driving.
I had read this thread before setting out on my drive today, and had deleted and recreated the CarPlay profile, but that didn't prevent the reboot, evidently.

I would say that 90% of complaints on Subaru forums are the infotainment. Don't feel bad.
It's not just Subaru either.
I've been reading car reviews on other sites lately (car shopping a bit), like Edmunds, and infotainment complaints run across many brands, like Honda, and higher end makes like Audi, BMW, etc.
There is no perfect system unfortunately.
It's tough for car makers to stay ahead of the curve, especially when there are so many different phones brands and different operating system levels on said phones.
Not everyone runs the latest version of Apple IOS or Android.
There is also no standard operating system from one car brand to another when it comes to their infotainment systems.
Every manufacturer does it differently.
I think the car industry would benefit greatly if there was some sort of standardization, but they each seem to think they can do it better than the other guy.
Some of them are ridiculously, and needlessly, complicated, like having to go through four sub menus to adjust the heater fan speed or radio volume. Stupid stuff some of it.
Personally, I always wait a bit before jumping on the software upgrade wagon, be it phones, computers, apps, whatever.
Let the other guys be the guinea pigs.

It's not just Subaru either.
I've been reading car reviews on other sites lately (car shopping a bit), like Edmunds, and infotainment complaints run across many brands, like Honda, and higher end makes like Audi, BMW, etc.
There is no perfect system unfortunately.
It's tough for car makers to stay ahead of the curve, especially when there are so many different phones brands and different operating system levels on said phones.
Not everyone runs the latest version of Apple IOS or Android.
There is also no standard operating system from one car brand to another when it comes to their infotainment systems.
Every manufacturer does it differently.
I think the car industry would benefit greatly if there was some sort of standardization, but they each seem to think they can do it better than the other guy.
Some of them are ridiculously, and needlessly, complicated, like having to go through four sub menus to adjust the heater fan speed or radio volume. Stupid stuff some of it.
Personally, I always wait a bit before jumping on the software upgrade wagon, be it phones, computers, apps, whatever.
Let the other guys be the guinea pigs.

What is also funny is that the screen and attached electronics that manufacturers are farmed out to other compaines (for instance harmon kardon makes it for Subaru). Then, Subaru sells the "premium" sound system. What is the premium sound system? Extra speakers, a sub woofer and tons of little harmon kardon badges on everything. The head unit (if we still call it that) hasn't changed because it is all integrated to the cars controls. How do we know that? We searched through parts catalogs, it is all there.

I would not be surprised if BOSE makes the system for the CX-5 Sport with the four speakers.

What is also funny is that the screen and attached electronics that manufacturers are farmed out to other compaines (for instance harmon kardon makes it for Subaru).

I would not be surprised if BOSE makes the system for the CX-5 Sport with the four speakers.
Expanding on that: today's car makers are really only car assemblers now.
They rarely make their own parts, relying instead on hundreds and hundreds of third party parts suppliers.
The Ford F-150 is a good example. It's touted as a true good-old American truck. Best seller every year.
Thing is, the truck with the most made in America parts, manufactured in American plants, employing American citizens, is actually the Honda Ridgeline. The Ford doesn't even come close.
As for the most American car? The Toyota Camry.

Back