Infotainment Display brightness

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Today after restarting the car after gassing up I noticed the radio displays were dim, barely readable. First thing I did was check the lights but they were off. Looked for some setting that would adjust the brightness but didn't find any. It seems that the car thought it was night but it was sunny and bright out.

Stopped a few miles away and turned the car off and then turned accessories on but it was still dim. Turned the car off, ran into the supermarket for a few things and came back out, started the car and the display was once again fine.

Hope this is not a harbinger of things to come with all the electronics and technology in the car.

2016 CX-5 Touring. 6 months old 3,230 miles on odometer.

I've had this happen and "solved" it the same way. Hopefully a software update will fix it. I'm a couple versions behind.

did you adjust the little dial/pin above the fuel/info gauge and to the upper right of the speedometer? if you turn it to the right it can make "night time" brightness turn back to "day time" brightness.

did you adjust the little dial/pin above the fuel/info gauge and to the upper right of the speedometer? if you turn it to the right it can make "night time" brightness turn back to "day time" brightness.

Wasn't aware of the dial, I looked for one similar to what we have in our Honda but nothing popped out. I'll look for the adjustment pin and if it happens again I'll try that. It was definitely in "night driving mode". I also need to have the firmware updated when I take it in for the first service.
Thanks for the info.

There is a setting for the infotainment brightness in the settings menu. You can adjust the Daytime brightness and the Night brightness independently.

Not trying to be rude, but you may want to read your owner's manual. It has all kinds of interesting information in it. You may learn even more about your car. :)

Yes it does but its also over 700 pages long, its often easier to get an answer on the forum.

Having ordered another CX-5 but auto this time I'm disappointed to read that there is still the same niggle as the original car, I use the adjustment on instrument panel myself but on the RHS version its fiddly to get too.

Not trying to be rude, but you may want to read your owner's manual. It has all kinds of interesting information in it. You may learn even more about your car. :)

The Owner's Manual is an awesome resource. Use it well.

There should be brightness/ contrast in the settings - <s>vehicle</s> Display Settings area, which should control the infotainment display. IIRC, the instrument cluster brightness knob affects all the dash lighting, but the infotainment settings will only alter the brightness of the infotainment screen.

Last edited:
I have a problem with this brighness issue after 10k in my 2016 GT model.

Before the 10k milage it was never an issue but now the brightness is always on night time settings and during the day is barely visible, especially with sunglasses on.

My 2 options to correct this manually is:

1) change the setting in the infotainment section to day or night

2) to turn the knob on the dash clockwise or counterclockwise and the infotainment screen will toggle to day or night time screen accordingly

My setting is always on Auto, always has been but recently its as if its always on night time mode even when its sunny out.

Can anyone please help me or direct me how to possibly fix this. The knob on the dash makes it less annoying than the infotainment setting screen but i'd rather solve this so I dont have to think about it everytime I get in my car.

Thanks

I hate that the twisting dial in the dash controls screen brightness. I like to have all my instrument clusters as bright as possible, but if I turn that dial up all the way to the right, than it jacks up my screen brightness. So it appears I cant have both without turning my screen brightness back down in the actual settings. But than during the day it's not as bright as it should be. Definitely annoying but not that huge of an issue.

I did read the manual, that's the first thing I do when I purchase something and a manual is provided. Unfortunately I don't have a photographic memory and I don't recall anything relating to displays dimming during the day. Since it went away on it's own I assumed it was a glitch. I've had two other weird occurrences around 900 miles that went away on their own.

If the only response on this forum is --- Read the manual --- then it might as well shut down.

Yes it does but its also over 700 pages long, its often easier to get an answer on the forum.

True, but here's an alternative: download a pdf version of your manual. The first few times you look for something it will take more time than posting a question in the forum. After that, you'll start to know where things are in the manual, and it will be faster than the forum. And it won't require someone else to do it for you.

There are always times we can't find something, and of course, people are always willing to help. But "look first, ask later" is a good policy.

I downloaded copies of the manual and the NAV manual to my iPhone so I can use it in the car without the manual taking up valuable glove compartment space.

Back