In the market for a CX-5

Snayberry

Hi guys, new to the forums. I just joined now and would like to ask for some help from you guys. My parents are looking for a new car and I was doing some research. I was thinking of a Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage but then I heard the CX-5 might be the better option. I saw there are a few different variations of the CX-5. I'm not sure which one to get and if to buy used or new. Should I aim for a 2018 or get a new 2019 since they're about to roll out the 2020 model? I already started to email all the different dealers in south FL about pricing and a break down list. How much should I expect to pay? I know this is all a lot at once but I appreciate the help, thanks.

Yeah, I was looking at that. But I'm saying, I'm not sure which model to go for. The GTR, Signature or just regular sport?
If MPG is not the top priority, consider 2019 GTR or Sig with 2.5T turbo. If youre in Canada, you can consider cheaper CX-5 Sport 2.5L which has no cylinder deactivation.

If MPG is a concern, try Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.

If you prefer a used, get any CX-5 models on 2017 and prior as Mazda has added cylinder deactivation to its 2.5L (non-turbo) since 2018 MY.

If MPG is not the top priority, consider 2019 GTR or Sig with 2.5T turbo. If you*re in Canada, you can consider cheaper CX-5 Sport 2.5L which has no cylinder deactivation.

If MPG is a concern, try Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.

If you prefer a used, get any CX-5 models on 2017 and prior as Mazda has added cylinder deactivation to its 2.5L (non-turbo) since 2018 MY.

I'm in Florida. Thanks, Rav4 hybrid looks nice too. But I don't think MPG would be a serious issue. It seems the CX-5 is getting decent MPG. I thought the cylinder deactivation is supposed to help with fuel?

I'm just having a tough choice on if I should get new or used? Could I get a good deal on a 2019, since the year is about to be over. It's also the end of the month and black Friday.

I'm in Florida. Thanks, Rav4 hybrid looks nice too. But I don't think MPG would be a serious issue. It seems the CX-5 is getting decent MPG. I thought the cylinder deactivation is supposed to help with fuel?

I'm just having a tough choice on if I should get new or used? Could I get a good deal on a 2019, since the year is about to be over. It's also the end of the month and black Friday.
I cancelled my plan getting a 2018 CX-5 only because Mazda added the CD. Yeah it save some fuel by 0~1 mpg base on EPA. But the long term reliability is questionable. And Mazda has already had a recall on it to fix the potential falling rocker arm problem. Just google cylinder deactivation youll see all the related issues or class action lawsuits.

As for price concern, not much we can do to help you other than youre spending time to shop. Read the thread posted above to have some ideas that how much other people had paid. I personally would always go for the new car as the used car will always be hard to know how the previous owners had treated their car. I believe Mazda also is offering $500~$1,500 cash rebate for CX-5 right now.

Last edited:

I would always go new. I don't want someone elses problems. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned with CD on non turbos. Some are just trying to create a panic over it. Mazda has actually increased it's reliability ratings since introducing it. Currently number 3 overall by Consumer Reports.

[QUOTE="Sig cx-5, post: 6668938, member: 162055"] * Also, I wouldn't be too concerned with CD on non turbos. S

⋯ Also, I wouldn't be too concerned with CD on non turbos. Some are just trying to create a panic over it.
Well, theres nothing you can do to overcome flaws from design concept.

Yeah, I was looking at that. But I'm saying, I'm not sure which model to go for. The GTR, Signature or just regular sport?

You have to decide which upgrades are worth your money. To me the Sport w/activesense package or Touring AWD versions are the best value per $, if I was going to pay extra for the turbo performance, I'd go with the GTR.

I know you've considered this, but the 0% financing on a new car can close the payment gap on a cheaper used car at a higher interest rate. It's something to think about before buying based on price and then having financing costs smack you in the face.

That small payment gap drove me from buying used at Carmax to buying a new Mazda.

Regarding which to buy...test drive them all. Then come back and tell us about the new turbo you just bought ;)

I would always go new. I don't want someone elses problems. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned with CD on non turbos. Some are just trying to create a panic over it. Mazda has actually increased it's reliability ratings since introducing it. Currently number 3 overall by Consumer Reports.

I disagree. I've had more problems from new cars than used cars. Also, you get a better warranty with CPO used.

Never buy new get a 5 year old car ish. Save your money new is such a waste. Learned that lesson.

I was close to 40 years old before buying my first new car.

Before that, the most I paid was $1,000...most often around $500. Now, that was years ago. And I had friends in places where I'd hook into some pretty good deals...I was not driving junkers.

I'd drive them for a few years, pay cheap insurance and low taxes, then sell them for a reasonable return and go buy another one. I've had a variety of cars doing it that way...I was price-loyal, never brand-loyal.

But I found I like the reliability of low-mileage vehicles,. and these days it seems that low mileage used cars really hold their value so well that the savings is not what it used to be.

Personally, I am big fan of purchasing a vehicle at the end of the model year when the manufacturers are offering their highest rebates and the dealerships are eager to make room on their lots for the arrival of the new models. Regarding which trim level to chose? This is personal decision based on your needs and wants vs. how much you are willing to pay.

Wade

Last edited:
Personally, I am big fan of purchasing a vehicle at the end of the model year when the manufacturers are offering their highest rebates and the dealerships are eager to make room on their lots for the arrival of the new models. Regarding which trim level to chose? This is personal decision based on your *needs* and *wants* vs. how much you are willing to pay.

Wade

The only problem with doing so this year is that the CX-5's infotainment system, which you stare at every day, is the smallest and most antiquated in the class and there's a chance of some improvement in the 2020's.

I disagree. I've had more problems from new cars than used cars. Also, you get a better warranty with CPO used.

Then why didn't you wait a year and buy your GTR as a CPO? Think of the money you could have saved. It would have been way more than what repairing your old CX-5 cost, plus that ridiculous warranty you paid over $2k for.

In the 35 years I've been purchasing only new vehicles (12 total), only one needed a repair outside of manufacture's standard warranty. I had extended warranties on all, except the latest. I learned my lesson. You either have extremely bad luck, or are very hard on your vehicles. My money is on the latter.

Then why didn't you wait a year and buy your GTR as a CPO?

From what I remember, his first CX-5 needed a fuel pump repair or something, and instead of repairing it, he got the dealership to offer a trade value that was acceptable to him given the condition of the vehicle. Then he traded it in for the GT Reserve. This is assuming that CPOs were not available because the 2019s had just dropped earlier in the year.

From what I remember, his first CX-5 needed a fuel pump repair or something, and instead of repairing it, he got the dealership to offer a trade value that was acceptable to him given the condition of the vehicle. Then he traded it in for the GT Reserve. This is assuming that CPOs were not available because the 2019s had just dropped earlier in the year.

I know, did you miss what I added right after that? :)

The only problem with doing so this year is that the CX-5's infotainment system, which you stare at every day, is the smallest and most antiquated in the class and there's a chance of some improvement in the 2020's.

You really don't stare at it that much though. :D
I'm not one of these people that hates it. I think it's fine. It's intuitive and easy to navigate.
I think the hate for it is totally overblown and I've played with the new one in the 3. And love it. But...

Back