In Defense of the CX-9's Air Conditioning

dulanypeters

:
Car Coming Soon!
I am a relatively new owner (well, lessor) of a 2017 Grand Touring CX-9. I took delivery the first week in June and have about 1700 miles on it, including several trips to/from the beach (about 2 hours from us) and a long weekend up in the mountains (about a 3.5 hour drive). It's also had it's fair share of sitting out in the hot sun in temps in the 90s on weekends and being driven for short distances (w/out the benefit of long drive where a car may be more prone to cool down) and the AC has fine, at least for us.

While I was researching the vehicle I came across some of the negative comments about the air conditioning, and it was almost enough to make me take a pass on the CX-9....which would have been very unfortunate. I did two test drives and tried to test the AC but neither day was particularly warm, and the drives were short, and it wasn't really a fair test. At the end of day I took a chance that the AC wasn't THAT bad, and I'm glad I did.

I love the vehicle (for all the reasons expounded upon in this forum) but wanted to give my impressions of the air conditioning, just in case others find themselves in the shoes I was wearing earlier this year.

To me the AC works just fine....in fact, I find myself almost always turning the vents away from me, and raising my side of the AC to 71 or 72 once the car cools down. This is all during recent summer driving. I would say it cools down relatively quickly and that it definitely works VERY WELL once it reaches cooling temperature. My kids ride in the second row and they have not complained at all--they typically turn on their second row AC bc they like to play with everything but I usually turn it off a few minutes after they turn it on.

I cannot speak to the lack of the AC in the third row as we don't use it much for human beings. We typically keep the third row folded down, though my dog does ride back there on weekends and while there has been some panting she is usually fine. The tinting helps a lot in the back and the second row, as do the second row screens (our last car did not even having tinting).

There was ONE TIME when we found that the AC didn't heat up quickly enough....but it did eventually cool off. Other than that I have found the AC to be great/excellent in typical summer weather in the NYC area and its surroundings (the Eastern end of Long Island and the Berkshire area). I have no real scientific data and I have tested the vents with sensitive measuring devices....I can only offer my own anecdotal experience. I just don't think the AC is as "dreadful" as many have made it out to be. My two cents.

I find it acceptable also, and agree the merits of the car out weigh a less powerful AC system.. *for this location near the coast in a mild climate area. Living in Phoenix or Vegas, the balance would have come out different.

I think the air conditioning is great, but this car soaks up heat like none other (even with the light colored seats). I've gotten to the point where I reflexively open all the windows and the sunroof immediately after getting in the car.

2016 CX9 GT AWD Soul Red with Sand interior since March and still love the CX9. i thought the A/C was okay until recently when temps are mid 90's and higher and we have the great mile high sunshine. The A/C in the CX9 is adequate since it does eventually cool things down but it is definitely not as powerful as other cars like the Odyssey for example and takes much longer to cool down a hot, heat soaked car parked out in full sun. I'm wondering if the CX9 has the same A/C unit as the smaller CX5.

I'm in a 2017 CX9 as well. With DC's constant heat waves- I haven't noticed any issues with the AC itself. However, I have noticed that due to the huge greenhouse in the front- the sun really does heat the car up. On a 98 degree day, with cloud coverage- no heat issues in the front with the AC on "low", same day in a little bit of sunlight and that radiation effect heats the car up in a matter of seconds.

Couple that with the horrible intake and heat release systems in the engine bay and you get a hot front cabin. I come from the Supra/Viper/911/GT-R modding world so eventually I'll get off my ass and figure out how to get rid of the heat issues in the engine bay. The first thing that has to be done immediately is getting rid of that anemic intake system.

The AC operation in my '16 seemed to improve over time, and now it's fine. I made a posting about the possibility that the hot air vents are not closing tightly during cooling operation. That can be tested with a simple thermometer. Park in the shade, run the system on only fan, no heat & no AC, for a few minutes. Check if the air coming out of the vents is the same temperature as the outside air. If the vent air is hotter, the problem is leaking hot air control flaps.

Do any of you guys use the heat reflective sun screens? I never have but wonder if that, on the front windshield, would help?

I find the AC to be working as expected. What I find is that like my wife she don't know how to use the AC system in the car that well. All new car these days comes with a desire tempeature setting. If that is set high or close to the outside temperature then the AC will not blow cold air. For anyone that have AC not blowing cold air should try the following steps:
(1) Check the outside temperature for example 33C on mine which is about 91.4F.
(2) On the desire temperature setting I usually set it on 24 to 25C but since it was this hot I set it all the way down and the minimum was 15C.
(3) Make sure the Auto On light is on and you will see the fan will be blowing at max speed, recycle light will be on and the AC indicator light on as well. - this is like MAX AC on some cars if a button exist.
(4) Within a few seconds you should be feeling cold air blasting to your face. See attached image.
(5) If you set your desire temperature same or higher than your outside temperature then DO NOT expect to get cold air blowing out. The car DO NOT know if it is snowing or if it is sunny. It only knows what desire temperature you set it to do.

Hope this clarifies the issue with the AC. This applies to all new cars I assume.
open

open

For me, the fundamental difference is the actual temperature reading setting, it seems to be a bit out of whack compared to the normal readings we're used to but there's nothing wrong with it. E.g. normal room temperature we set for the air conditioning is 22-23C, setting this reading on the CX-9 is actually 1-2c warmer than normal. Ao it's just a matter of turning it down and up a notch or 2 than what you would normally set elsewhere.

I live in central Cali with 100+ degree day and night and i can tell you the AC in the cx-9 works great. I had to lower it many times, though been a few times my kids in the third row complained that they arent getting AC in the back but that's because we just started driving...after a couple mins they were fine. I believe the best thing about the cx-9 Sig is the napa leather seats which doesnt absorb much of the heat and so when going in and sitting it doesnt burn you and when you get off of it, it doesnt stick to you. It's kind of like leather with the cloth benefits =D

No issues with AC in Boston area. Obviously if it's been under the sun all day and its 90 out, it will take longer to cool.

I also find that it's too cold at times....

I have a 2015 Grand Touring and recently the dealership gave me a 2016 as a rental.

The 2016 compared to the 2015 is pretty bad.

I live in South Florida where it's 95 degrees every day so A/C is life or death.

Do any of you guys use the heat reflective sun screens? I never have but wonder if that, on the front windshield, would help?

http://www.mazda-parts.com/accessories/2017-mazda-cx_9-interior-sunshade/windshield_sunscreen_00008MN03.html

I'm a big fan of sun shades. Kinda dorky but much cooler inside maybe 10 - 15 degrees, just crack the windows if no threat of rain. Protect dash and interior, steering wheel won't burn your hand and seat won't burn your legs.

Last edited:
Just another anecdotal share. I recently spent a few days in a desert area with 110F+ daily temps, low humidity. Similar deal to the last trip, 5up and CX9 fully packed. I realize everybody is different, but I was satisfied with the AC. We did leave the AC controls maxed out for perhaps longer than another vehicle would have required.

Was I wishing I still had the Sienna? No not really. We did use a sunshade when parked, the standard windshield type. BTW speaking of shades my buddy swears by a full canopy shade that covers all the windows and roof. It mounts from the outside.. seems a pain. Not sure I need to go that far.

Back