I'm new here and this is my first Mazda

kcfoxie

:
2009 Mazda5 (manual)
It's a short story. The old Volvo was loaded up with stuff for the dump, goodwill, post office and it refused to re-start on me after I moved it out of the driveway and onto the street. Before AAA towed it off to the shop I was looking for a Mazda5. I picked this model exclusively because it offered a manual transmission, but also the chain-based engine, low ground clearance (easier for the older dogs to get in and out of), the cargo space (better than a Forrester), and price. We needed an appliance, but I wanted a quirky appliance I could love. The Mazda5 fit the bill -- and it's a shame that it seems to be coming to an end in 2016.

I come from VWs, diesel VWs at that. The Mazda's inexpensive nature on keys, maintenance, replacement parts is a welcome change. I hope we have many wonderful years with this van.

Welcome! You will find much to love about your new car, each time you drive it in fact. I'm on my second one (hence the name) and would love to drive it forever, i'm at 188K as of this morning....

Welcome! You will find much to love about your new car, each time you drive it in fact. I'm on my second one (hence the name) and would love to drive it forever, i'm at 188K as of this morning....

This is indeed true! I'm really tall (6'3") and I've always had to slouch to see stop lights in almost every car I've ever owned. This is without a doubt the first vehicle I've had where I can sit straight up all the time and never have the stop light "cut off" by the roof line. I love that most of all.

I also am loving the minimalism. I'd like a center console with a lid, but, I found a place to keep my work badge and my iPhone fits in that weird pen tray below the AC controls really well. I also realized I can keep a spare change of clothes in the tool tray area along with my home-made first aid kit and a small tool box I keep in my daily driver.

I've got to take a tree down on my property before I can splurge on the Grom Audio bluetooth adapter. I know, I know, a JVC or Alpine head unit would be cheaper. I'm quirky and like to keep the OEM radios for anti-theft reasons. Plus I've had a long standing relationship with Grom, they've been really good to me over the years (and like 7 audio adapters I've bought from them).

I downloaded the PDF owners manual and was reading it last night. I also contacted the previous dealers who maintained the car to get copies of the maintenance records. I need to see if I have the locking lug on my wheels, and if I have the key. Since it's a sport, I doubt I do ... but you never know.

Also, I found a small locksmith who will make a non-remote ignition key for $65. I want another switchblade (I only have the one) but I know I need two programmed keys to do my own programming. It's another project, just a very useful project.

Congrats, man.

At 6'-3", you may wonder about getting a little more room. If so, there is a mod you can do. The European versions had available kits that made the bottom recline a little, while moving the entire seat back a bit.

If I drove ours personally, I'd get the kit, but my wife drives it.

Regardless, enjoy. It's a great car, especially if you maintain it.

It's comfortable enough as the seat sits. I've got it as low as it'll go, and it's at the end of the track. It's not having to crane my neck to see stop lights that I love about it.

I've read these things like to wear out suspensions, but they're pretty cheap (compared to what I'm used to). Not too thrilled with my 18.2mpg tank (first tank...and a lot of mixed driving). Not sure if I have a problem or not... figure I'll see what tank #2 looks like.

I get low 20's in mine without running the AC. Like 22 or 23.
Hope the 2nd tank for you is better. Try different gas maybe?

While that's true... I come from diesels, we are beyond obsessive about FE numbers. I've already figured out how to fill to the neck and ensure the volume is consistent tank to tank.

That said 29.7, but just a partial tank...added injector cleaner and topped up. RPMs matter. So does having consistently aired up tires!

Back