Ice's N/A Build

:
2002 323 Protege
Hey Guys

Most of you probably don't know me, I don't really post here that much mainly cause im a N/A person and pretty much everything now a days is turbo talk. Kinda feels like im 4 years late to the party tbh. In any event this thread will be a record of my N/A build, its not going to be wild like installshield or anything, but should be up there with the rest of the crazy N/A peeps.

Mod List:
Engine/Transmission:
Custom Weisco ~12:1 Pistons with 21mm wristpin.
3SGTE Rods
3SGTE Oversized Bearings
Modified Crank to Suit Bearings (i.e. tighter tolerances all round) + Achieve thicker bearings.
Samco Radiator Hoses
AWR Engine Mounts - 70 Durometer
Modified Head - 5 Angle Valve Job, Blending, Ported and Knife-Edged Intake Ports, Ported and Knife-Edged Exhaust Ports.
Twiggy Cams
Adaptronic e440D
DocB Racing Oil Pump
Peterson Pressure Release Valve
Modified MBSP for Oil Return
Oil Filter Relocation Kit:
- Works Engineering Oil Adapters
- Aeroflow AN10 Fittings All Round
- Aeroflow Black Tubing
Focus Adjustable Cam Gears
Jay Racing Thermal Spacers
FS-ZE Intake Manifold
626 Throttle Body (FS-ZEs use them stock)
MSP Oil Cooler
Stant Low Temperature Thermostat
K&N Typhoon CAI
Air Diversion Panel
Autoexe Headers 4-2-1
Custom 2.5" Exhaust + Mid Pipe. High Flow Magnaflow Cat
CR3 Motorsport Radiator Brackets
RR Racing Bush Kit
RR Racing UDP
Mfactory LSD
Fidanza Flywheel - 7.5lb
Custom NPC 760kg Clutch
eBay Short Shifter
Qford Bushes
Mazdaspeed Protege Weighted Gearknob

Interior:
JVC KDR80BT Headunit
Pioneer 6x9 Splits - Front
Pioneer 6" - Rear
Kicker 10" 600W Slimline Sub
JL Audio - 4x75watt Amp.
JVC 2x130watt Amp - Bridged.
Innovate MTX-L Wide Band
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge

Suspension/Braking
Yellow Speed Coilovers - 8kg Fronts/5kg Rears
Progress Rear Sway Bar
Mazdaspeed Familia/Protege Calipers
DBA Street Series Rotors - Slotted (274mm Rear (Mazda 6 GG Rotor))
DBA Street Series Rotors - Slotted (280mm Front (Mazda 6 GG Rotor))
Hawk HPS Pads
Penrite DOT 4 - Racing Fluid
Autoexe 3 Point Strut Brace w/ MCS

Exterior:
DG Carbon Fibre Grille
AAC Sag Fix Brackets
17x7 Mazdaspeed Familia Rims w Khumo KU31 215/45/17
Japanese Familia Badging
Japanese Sport20 HIDs - Painted Black
Smoked Side Indicators
Fog Light Deletes

To Be Installed:
Cusco Lower Strut Brace
Autoexe Rear Strut Brace
ITBs - Need a FP Manifold to Butcher.
Fuel Pump Servicing Kit
1.4kw 626 Starter Motor
Mazdaspeed Front Sway Bar
Gauge Rings
Zentrix Flexi Fuel Module

Want/Need:
Front and Rear Endlinks
E85 Fuel Pump
E85 Injectors

Decomissioned:
Espelir Springs - Linear Springs
Tokico HP Blues - Front & Rear
Autoexe Muffler
Pioneer Headunit
4x135w Amplifier - Power Sub Woofer

Last edited:
Heres some photos of the Headers pre install:
DSCN2419.JPG

DSCN2421.JPG

There pretty expensive, but represent the best off the shelf items. Only thing that is possibly as good is the AWR header (never seen a set/measure etc). Shame that so few headers for the protege are actually tuned can only think of three off the top of my head :(

This is what they looked like installed on my old car:
011.jpg

012.jpg

Added more build information to first post.

Last edited:
sub-a-dub-a-doo!

that header is sexy, even with all that patina on it.

My first hurdle has cropped up, what to have the microtech reconfigured for as I don't believe they have a fs-ze setting. The fs-ze is OBDI but shares basically everything else in common with the fs-de, honestly don't understand the OBDI vs OBDII so not sure what to get them to reconfigure it to suit :/

Should have just gotten a haltech, double the price but at this stage soooo much easier.

Edit: Just remembered that it will prolly depend on what crank angle sensor and cam sensor the engine has.

Last edited:
Obd1 is actually better or at least for Hondas, not sure about Mazda. Probly why the fsze is obd1. Sensors should be the same between ze and de

Only real difference is the c/r of the pistons and I think the cams. Just use an fs9 casting head to keep the coil ignition instead of distributer. I highly recommend the mfactory differential and the lightweight flywheel would be a good idea too.

OBDI or II wont matter diddly squat in terms of the microtech. OBD is related to the sensors and wiring to the stock ecu, which the Microtech will be bypassing to run your ignition and fuel timing.

They wont have an fsze setting but it will need to be set up for the correct crank trigger signal. It would be best to use the AUDM style crank trigger wheel which I believe is the same as an NA 1.6 MX-5 (Miata).

When I swap the engines over I'll check the differences and see If the fs-ze and the fs-de are using the same trigger wheel if so won't need to change things. Thanks for the info Orion :)

Only real difference is the c/r of the pistons and I think the cams. Just use an fs9 casting head to keep the coil ignition instead of distributer. I highly recommend the mfactory differential and the lightweight flywheel would be a good idea too.

Yeah LSD and light weight flywheel are planned. The cams are the same as we got in the fs-de for Australians, another item that differs is the manifold :)

Last edited:
Went and had a look at a car on the weekend, unfortunatley the car had some masssive grooves in the bonnet where what looked like someone took an angle grinder to it. Pretty deep down through the paint to the metal, match stick size in depth and length and considerable wider. Had a few other marks of a similiar sort of look on the bonnet as well. Broken front left spot light, Cracked rear garnish where the key goes for the boot, at least two engine mounts torn (not that it matters seeing as the car will be getting awrs all round) as well as a few stone chips n stuff. The interior was spotless though, smoke free etc. Going to take a look at another car this weekend so long as I can shake this cold in time to do my uni assignments before the weekend.

In a conundrum on whether to get teh fidanza or not. The car is essentially meant to be as far as I can push it with my budget without it losing the possability of being a DD. (Atm I live 3 mins walk from train station if that, and ~7mins train ride from city so hardly needed atm for DD but in the future who knows). The alternative to the fidanza is to machine the heck out of the stock to get it down to about the mazdaspeed flywheel weight. Ill prolly end up nabbing it anyways, just cause itll make for alot of fun with the other stuff planned.

Im also working out what im going to do about oiling. The AWR pans are a) heavy b) big which makes the cost of the pan + postage crazy high, considering all i need is a baffled pan to stop me running dry. Not to mention that lower tie bar will no longer fit. Orions been nice enough to let me know what he finds out from the fabricators, heres hoping its good news.

Along with this the pile of stuff I need to acquire seems to grow longer n longer. What I really need to do is focus on getting a car as it will make acquiring parts and sorting stuff out much easier. Not to mention getting the GB for the Autoexe Chassis Braces going alot quicker...

Last edited:
Alrighty, thought I'd upload some photos. Here's my engine and some other engines we got sent over in a pallet:
IMG_4150.jpg

This is what the second piece of the FS-ZE Header looks like as I don't think many have seen it before:
IMG_3873.jpg

Some more photos of the engine:
IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

Not sure what the wreckers are like in US but in NZ its pretty crazy:
IMG_4131.jpg

Thanks to Phil who a) went and got got my engine and b) for the photos.

Last edited:
Orions build will probably go alot harder then mine will when finished tbh man.

He has K1 rods and higher compression plus a few other things that will allow him to leave me in the dust ;)

Got some mail from customs today. My ECU and Cams have arrived, just need to find there bleeding tariff codes so I can fill in the release form :(

Time for an update.

Yesterday I purchased 4 Khumo KU31s and put down a deposit on some Mazdaspeed Familia Rims 17x7. Also ordered a Doc B Oil Pump with PRV. Will post pics up when I get the rims :D

Should also be getting a RR UDP, Fidanza Flywheel and some 'proper' adjustable cam gears hopefully in the near future :D

Stuff left to get for swap:
- Clutch + Spigot Bearing
- Waterpump
- Hoses
- Engine Mounts
- Random Gaskets
- Oil Filter + Oil Filter Relocation Kit
- Gauges
- Spark Plugs
- Various Oils
- Cam Belts + Tensioner Spring
- Thermostat

Somewhere in there is a the acquisition of a car. Bring on tax time.

Last edited:
Been a while since ive updated this. Ive since last post received my new Cams and my new Rims :D

Have some iphone photos of the gear:
Rims against a mates car:
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/imageyfe.jpg/

http://img692.imageshack.us/i/imagehbjb.jpg/

Wheel rim:
http://img651.imageshack.us/i/imageglj.jpg/

MSF Rims :) One set of 209 ever made. Surprisingly heavy tbh given that they where on the MSF and MP3 (in silver).

My Twiggy Sticks And ECU Arrived too: :D
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/imageyrhh.jpg/

Still need to send it off to Microtech to have it reflashed + have Wideband 02 Module installed. Still everythings coming together.

Just need a car :)

Last edited:
Got a question ICE, what was the HP output when you had the headers and the CAI? Don't know if you had a cat-back, but if you did what was the HP output?

Got a question ICE, what was the HP output when you had the headers and the CAI? Don't know if you had a cat-back, but if you did what was the HP output?

I never had the car dynod. Was a tiny bit faster then a Sp20 (about the same as your mp3) though, there's always driver differences that come into play so *shrug*

Neither mod is going to generate epic power, what they did do is give great engine response and really improved my high end and mid range. There's wasn't much sacrifice cept a little below 3k, but that's fine as never really drive down there, the only time that comes to mind is first gear.

It's not really about having epic power IMO with na really it's more engine response and getting more power under the curve rather then peak power.

I didn't have a mid pipe so stock cat :(. The fs engine would experience a greater increase in power due to the removal of the first cat :)

Last edited:
Back