I thought bait & switch was gone, apparently Mark Mazda still does it

Now it’s only one at that price and cash only with no other applicable incentives.
And don't expect to be able to finance it at the cash only price, especially at 0%.
Price goes up when you don't pay cash.

I have a book called "How to Buy a New Car" ( or something like that) written by a car sales man that exposes a lot of these schemes.

It seems like these kinds of techniques go back years.

I have a book called "How to Buy a New Car" ( or something like that) written by a car sales man that exposes a lot of these schemes.

It seems like these kinds of techniques go back years.

I'm guessing it is this:

"How to Buy a Car: The Essential Guide for Buying a New or Used Car, Updated and Revised for the 1990's Revised"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

find discount ones on Abe's Books

or this one?
"How to Buy a Car"

another gem:
"How to Buy Your New Car at a Rock-Bottom Price"

and:
"Letting the Cat Out of the Bag: How the Auto Industry Redesigned the Dealer Invoice Price When the Internet Arrived"

Last edited:
There is a youtube channel by a guy who used to work as a salesman. The info he provides is fairly up to date. Dealer holdback, etc.
No access to Youtube.com with my VPN at work. I am sure you can easily find it.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Like others have said, set a price for yourself and stick to it.

The Sig is not exactly in huge demand and I would expect if you wait a few months you could end up getting a decent deal on another one seeing as how the 2021 models are just around the corner.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Like others have said, set a price for yourself and stick to it.

The Sig is not exactly in huge demand and I would expect if you wait a few months you could end up getting a decent deal on another one seeing as how the 2021 models are just around the corner.
This is true. I've heard Oct and Nov are good times to get a deal.

There is a youtube channel by a guy who used to work as a salesman. The info he provides is fairly up to date. Dealer holdback, etc.
No access to Youtube.com with my VPN at work. I am sure you can easily find it.

yeah that narrows down the search. :)

Here is a channel with lots of good information:

How are the 2021 models "just around the corner"?Has something changed.My experience has been that Mazda releases new models in the spring.If this is still true,someone might be waiting a long time for a 2020 closeout deal.

for cx5 "next year"model in US, it has been Nov-Dec current year. That has been followed by Mazda for the past few years.

I think I bought my ‘13 CX5 in late 2012

yeah that narrows down the search. :)

Here is a channel with lots of good information:
He gives good general info but he sold cars pre-recession. His first hand experience is 10+ year out of date and it's a whole different ballgame now

I found a deal locally that is a little bit higher that sketchy Mark's false pricing. But, it's from a dealer that has been nothing but fully up front and honest from the start. Their deal also includes some additional options I wanted, at what I feel is a very good discount, and some comped service visits. Honestly, I'd rather pay a bit more to support dealerships like that.

Last edited:
Was it Berge Mazda? Nothing wrong with giving a shout-out to somebody you liked

I'm actually not in the PHX area but in Seattle area. I just wouldn't mind a bit of a road trip break with a new car so I looked at a number of dealers for pricing in the Western half of the US.

The deal isn't done yet but the dealer is Mazda of Everett

I'm actually not in the PHX area but in Seattle area. I just wouldn't mind a bit of a road trip break with a new car so I looked at a number of dealers for pricing in the Western half of the US.

The deal isn't done yet but the dealer is Mazda of Everett
So you have to pay Seattle’s full state and local sales taxes after not paying sales tax in Arizona with out-of-state purchase? Can you go to your neighborhood state of Oregon purchasing a new CX-5 with no sales tax for the state?

So you have to pay Seattle’s full state and local sales taxes after not paying sales tax in Arizona with out-of-state purchase? Can you go to your neighborhood state of Oregon purchasing a new CX-5 with no sales tax for the state?
it doesn't work that way. If I purchased a vehicle in Az, the dealer would collect the Az sales tax. If I purchased in OR, then there is no sales tax.

But, as soon as I go to register the vehicle in WA, I need to pay the sales & use tax on the vehicle. If I've already paid some amount in another state then that is deducted from what I owe WA.

Simplifying numbers, lets say it's the following tax rates:
AZ: 8%
WA: 10%
OR: 0%
Use Sample price: $30,000

if I bought in AZ, I'd pay dealer there $2400 in sales tax. When registering vehicle in WA I would have to pay $600 ($3000-$2400) to register the vehicle.

If i bought in OR, I'd pay dealer there $0 in sales tax. When registering vehicle in WA I would have to pay $3000 to register the vehicle.

You don't get to not pay tax on the vehicle.

Though there are those with some higher value cars which buy/register in a different state but live in WA. The WA State Patrol has programs to find those people and they are then subject not only to the taxes but also to pretty large fines.

In summary, you're going to pay tax with a car is registered, not where it's bought

I found a deal locally that is a little bit higher that sketchy Mark's false pricing. But, it's from a dealer that has been nothing but fully up front and honest from the start. Their deal also includes some additional options I wanted, at what I feel is a very good discount, and some comped service visits. Honestly, I'd rather pay a bit more to support dealerships like that.

That's basically how my purchase went with my CX-9. I bought the car while living in Calgary, but after negotiating with two local dealerships and a dealership an hour and a half out of the city, I ended up buying from the non-local dealership because the service and communication was so much better (plus some free oil changes and add-ons like PPF). The actual sale prices were very similar, but I did end up spending a little more to buy from the non-local dealership once I factored in the cost of gas to drive there and back.

In summary, you're going to pay tax with a car is registered, not where it's bought

↑ Exactly. WA residents living in borderline from OR, often cross the bridge to go Home Depot or Costco in Portland for large purchase taking advantage of ZERO sales tax. But in case of vehicle sales, you have to pay sales tax when registering the car. It's called Destination-Based tax.

Back