I own it

NJP5Guy

:
2003 Black Mica P5 5spd
Well i paid off my car last week after 18 months of ownership(bought it brand new). I love this car to death but here is my conundrum. Come the new year I'm really considering buying a 2005 WRX wagon as a second (weekend) car. Should i continue heavily modding my p5(keeping it N/A) or just focus on the new car wether it be a WRX or not. whatever i buy it will be a hatchback and i want a relatively quick/ can be made very quick car. thoughts and feelings. :)

I would say don't get the new car, and work on the p5. there is no need to get a new car, when you could make the P5 a really nice and fast car. that's what I would do.

Jose

i say get the wrx.... you cant go wrong with a suby.... but also keep modding the p5. then if it breaks you will have another car to drive.... since you must have money since you paid off a new car in 18 mths...... so get the suby and mod the s*** out of that also.....

I think you answered your own question.

You said your 2nd car would be your weekend car. So, do you want a souped up weekend car or do you want a souped up weekday car?

hmmm... do either or, i'd say. Seems odd to get a wrx wagon as a weekend car, most weekend cars are more pure sports cars or hotrods. The wrx wagon is a heavy p5 w/awd and more power, as far as I can tell.
I'd put a mild (reliable!) turbo kit on the p5, maybe 5-7psi, a nice clutch, and an lsd. Be about as fast as a wrx, look better, handle better, no debt, take it to the track on the weekends and work on weekdays. Just my 2 cents

Keep the p5 as a daily driver and buy an FD or other rotary for your toy. FD is kind of a hatchback right? ;)

Cellerator said:
yeah, save yourself the hassle of 2 insurance premiums and put more into the P5.

I say mod your p5 and save the payments for the wrx...take those payments and put them towards mods/payoff of my car. I am sure we can work out a deal :) I am a good worker!!!

I think getting the WRX will make you like the P5 less. I think you'd be best off sticking with the P5.

adc0642 said:
hmmm... do either or, i'd say. Seems odd to get a wrx wagon as a weekend car, most weekend cars are more pure sports cars or hotrods. The wrx wagon is a heavy p5 w/awd and more power, as far as I can tell.
I'd put a mild (reliable!) turbo kit on the p5, maybe 5-7psi, a nice clutch, and an lsd. Be about as fast as a wrx, look better, handle better, no debt, take it to the track on the weekends and work on weekdays. Just my 2 cents

i could get more of a true sports car but at the same time i dont want to spend 35-40 thousand bucks. i'd get the agon because i just loves hatches. i dont care to have a trunk. i like the abrupt end of a hatchback.

as for the others who spoke of insurance...i've thought of that. of course i will see what it'd cost me before hand. yeah it will be expensive having two cars especially in NJ. its still at least 2-3 months away before i do anything. have to settle on a house first.

If you get a WRX, you'll heavily mod that... you wont be able to resist. It's already fast, but you'll see the $$$ here and there you can upgrade with, and before you know it you'll be pushing 300hp and have a voided warranty... well at least that's what my brother did with his. Pulley, uppipe, exhaust, intake, reworked turbo, etc. etc. etc.

wrx

oooh, considering the WRX.

After my P5 was totalled thats what I went with. Of course I didnt have the money so I had to go with a used 2002 wagon, but I love it nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, I love the P5 sooooo much and miss it a lot.

But, thinking back, there is no way I would have ever been able to mod my P5 to get it to the level of my stock WRX. I was planning on staying NA with my protege. I think a turbo P5 would be sweet. I tried to find a used P5 but it was really hard, so i decided to take a step up and go with the WRX.

The way I saw it was that the WRX is already turboed, so minor, cheap mods will more reliably produce more power than reliable cheap mods for a NA car such as the P5. Since I did not want to mod the hell out of either car (because they were both daily drivers) I am hoping to only do minor stuff that will help the car. I think if you get the WRX (like everyone said) you will want to mod that more because it will give you more bang for your buck. I was told that redoing the up and downpipes, midpipe, and the full exhuast brings you to 300 hp (assuming an ECU reflash). That type of power is incredible and really tempting. Not like the WRX really needs any more power - it is already sooo fast. But the WRX has things that you really can't do with the protege - like AWD. So its always gonna handle better theoretically than the P5 (I am not really sure, I like the way the P5 handled better but I have never really taken the WRX out for some serious cornering). So I am still not sure which one handles better, I just feel safer with the AWD because I have that feeling I won't kill myself taking a turn too fast.

That all being said, the P5 is a sick car, I really loved mine and all I ever really did to it was exhaust. but the P5 definitely looks better and turns more heads, but I am growing to like the WRX more and more. IT is also better to mod the WRX because there is such a larger consumer base with more products and more people who know how to fix your car in case you break it. I think its really up to you - test drive one to see if you want it that bad. I only got one because I needed a car. I dont think I would have traded in my P5 for a WRX. I had never considered it before. I always thought the WRX would be more expensive to maintain in terms of insurance and initial cost, but I guess I was wrong. I paid the exact same amount for the WRX used as my P5 new, and the insurance for the WRX is about $300 less every year (dont know how that works)

Do what you feel is best. But i think if you get the WRX you will want your P5 to just be your secondary daily driver with the WRX being your powerhouse 300+ hp V8 killer. (thats my plan...)

03.JPG

Last edited:
Back