I need to adjust my steering rack on my 03 P5

nailman

:
2003 Protege 5
Yes, there is an adjustment on the steering rack. There appears to be a giant Torx bolt in the middle of a regular hex nut. I have to buy the Torx tool. What size is that giant Torx?

I have 217,500 miles on my P5 and have loved every mile since I purchased her with 159,000. This is my favorite commuter car. I have new: motor mounts, control arms with bushings and ball joints, struts, strut mounts in the last 5000 miles because these parts were totally shot. (I pushed this beyond the limit because the rubber in the motor mounts actually disintegrated) I have verified that the end links, CV joints, sway bar bushings and rack mount bushings are OK. I am still getting a hard clunking noise from the center of the firewall and the car is uncontrollable on wet ground. My experience as an enthusiast includes building several Mustangs, several Hondas and a street legal Dodge Dakota that was putting 455 HP to the ground with the A/C on and I thought it was the rack. Mazda and Pep Boys have also checked the car out and both recommend that I replace the steering rack (without any suggestions from me.)
I know that they can be adjusted, though. It is such a tight fit that I cannot see in there to check it out. I think that If I can find the right tools, I can adjust it.

I would check the inner tie rods, if you haven't already.

As far as the Torx size goes, you will probably just have to get a set and see what fits.

The most low profile set I have is PowerTorque from Oreilly's , but it only goes up to T50. It was cheap though.

As a matter of fact, I neglected to check inner tie rods as I could not see them. I guess I need to buy a boot kit to do that?

As a matter of fact, I neglected to check inner tie rods as I could not see them. I guess I need to buy a boot kit to do that?

Not necessarily, only if they are torn or cracked. Otherwise just slide the clamps off, and slide the boot back. Have someone shake the wheel while you watch the joint.

Thanks MrGiggles. Even though I am somewhat familiar with it, I have never had enough miles on anything to require steering maintenance.

Latest posts

Back