I need Help

DJB00TS

SO my g/f / fiance wants a Mazda Miata for like 8,000 dollars or so. I say kick ass adding to the mazda family, but then I realized I know nothing about these cars except that they look cool. So my question is when I'm looking at one what should I look at? Potential problems, things to avoid, maybe a certain year all together etc.

I'm sure Darin and a few others can help me on this :)

For $8000 you can get a GREAT miata - Probably not an M2 (NB, whatever :) )...

http://miata.net - great resource. Their forums are a bit...pointy. Id est, they don't much take to ANYTHING that is not purely 'business', not very much fun. That said, there are Gigabytes of info there which can help.

If 'I' had $8,000 to spend, I'd spend $3,000 on a 90-93 Miata, $1500 on rims/tires, and $3500 on Flyin Miata's BEGI 4.2 Turbo system.

:D

Check out the classifieds - OH! Hey - I remember seeing a 92? Miata with 230+whp for sale for about $9K... :D

Yeah, Miata.net is your best source for info. They are serious but fun people who know their stuff. I could take my miata completely apart and put it back together again with their help! Go to the forums and do a search or simply ask your questions.

Watch out for the 90 to 91.5 1.6L Miatas. These cars had the short nose crank issue that has plagued a lot of the older B series engines. After 91.5, there wasn't a problem due to a slight crankshaft redesign. None of the 1.8Ls were affected (94-97). Other than that slight issue, there really isn't anything to be concerned about. I'd assume that since you're willing to spend about $8000, you're looking at one that's as new as possible. A lot of very good 1.6's and early 1.8's (94-96) can be found for $5000 or less.

Good luck with the hunt and let us know what you find.

I had a '90 for 2 years, be SURE to drive it at HIGHWAY speeds...some models came with an optional "drag gear." This gear is GREAT for acceleration, but it sucks on the highway, it tends to "howl" or "whine" at high speeds.

There was no "drag gear". Howling or whining is a sign of a mechanical problem.

The internal ratios of the 5-speeds never changed.
The final drive ratios were:
1990-93: 4.3
1994-97: 4.1
1999-03: 4.3 (5 speed), 3.9 (6 speed), 4.1 (automatic, 2000 and later)

Keith

Not if he lives outside the US. The rest of the world got 1998 Miatas.

Keith

Look at his location. Last I checked Wisconsin was still part of the US. :D

I took my mazda into the local dealer, and he pulled up the VIN number, and it stated that there was an "optional" final drive installed. Hence why I was running at 4500rpm at 75mph.

Your dealer made that up. Miatas have low gearing. The stock 1990 gearing is the lowest that was available. There were no optional ratios. Optional limited slip, yes - but it used the same ratio.

Keith

Back