I know not what I have -

bachman

:
'16 CX-9 Soul Red/Parchment , Touring
Trying to keep this brief -
Always been a bit of a car guy and knowing exactly what I want or researching every last detail. Consequently, these points below are somewhat embarrassing although I rarely drive the CX-9 so it's still kind of new to me after 2 years.

A few years ago, I wanted my wife to get a new car and it was a case of her picking out what she wanted and liked. We had an 08 CX-7 and I helped her pick it out but this time, she wanted something different and I secretly hoped for the CX-9 and set up some cars for her to test drive. The 9 being many years newer and not resembling the CX-8 in many ways was a winner over some other test drives as I learned she wanted the 3rd row option. All worked out well and we got a 2016 with just under 5000 miles so it came with full as new factory warranty and heck of a discount off list.

I thought I had the orig window sticker and maybe it's just misplaced but I wanted to look up the options to see what model we have specifically and I'm a bit confused.
The vin info doesn't list anything definitive by Sport, Touring Grand touring etc.... so here's what I think I have; Something between a Touring and Grand Touring ?

I have all listed for the touring trim, 18" Wheels and auto wipers but no leveling headlamps, I have the middle row seating retractable window shades, Bose and NAV, moonroof and Sat radio. My guess is there was a package or few options that went beyond the Touring package but not quite to Grand touring. The bold print is specific to adds the Grand Touring lists over the Touring trim - hence my confusion.

Two things I just realized:
*The old CX-7 didn't have lots of frills but did have a cool feature to remote the windows down and even the sunroof open on a hot day to vent the car before getting in it. It amazes me the new fancy trim/options on our '16 doesn't seem to have this unless I'm just not knowing how to activate it.
*I never notice or used the sport selector for speedy shifting and holding the rpm's , just tried it the other day.

Thoughts or comments welcome. T Y

Last edited:
Which country is the car from ? options vary a lot by country. For example, the canadian trims are different than the american trims, but in Canada there is pretty much no optional package ( it is impossible in canada to get a non-GT or non signature with the bose sound system for example)

Thanks for the follow-up. (drinks)
That link to the brochure is perfect and it is exactly as you describe .... Touring with Convenience package.
I'm in the U.S.

Still loving this thing, about 70% done with a new coat of wax on it. Beltline up on the sides, hood and roof also done. I spent some time buffing out the finger nail marks on the door handles (wife). In my younger days and less busy, I waxed a car in one swipe but this has a lot of surface area! We have 22,100 miles on it at two years in and just a day ago, replaced the OEM Yokohama tires- Now rolling on Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus.

My one go to for cutting off a Touring vs a Grand Touring is the Heads-Up-Display in the dashboard.

Also, in your sidebar, you have listed Soul Red Crystal paint and Parchment interior... Parchment is a Ford color. I believe the tan interior is called, "Sand" in the Mazda.

Last edited:
Always been a bit of a car guy and knowing exactly what I want or researching every last detail. Consequently, these points below are somewhat embarrassing although I rarely drive the CX-9 so it's still kind of new to me after 2 years.

A few years ago, I wanted my wife to get a new car and it was a case of her picking out what she wanted and liked. We had an 08 CX-7 and I helped her pick it out but this time, she wanted something different and I secretly hoped for the CX-9 and set up some cars for her to test drive. The 9 being many years newer and not resembling the CX-8 in many ways was a winner over some other test drives as I learned she wanted the 3rd row option. All worked out well and we got a 2016 with just under 5000 miles so it came with full as new factory warranty and heck of a discount off list.

I thought I had the orig window sticker and maybe it's just misplaced but I wanted to look up the options to see what model we have specifically and I'm a bit confused.
The vin info doesn't list anything definitive by Sport, Touring Grand touring etc.... so here's what I think I have; Something between a Touring and Grand Touring ?

I have all listed for the touring trim, 18" Wheels and auto wipers but no leveling headlamps, I have the middle row seating retractable window shades, Bose and NAV, moonroof and Sat radio. My guess is there was a package or few options that went beyond the Touring package but not quite to Grand touring. The bold print is specific to adds the Grand Touring lists over the Touring trim - hence my confusion.

*The old CX-7 didn't have lots of frills but did have a cool feature to remote the windows down and even the sunroof open on a hot day to vent the car before getting in it. It amazes me the new fancy trim/options on our '16 doesn't seem to have this unless I'm just not knowing how to activate it.
*I never notice or used the sport selector for speedy shifting and holding the rpm's , just tried it the other day.

I don't think you can have 18" wheels and anything higher than a Touring. GT and up are 20".

Hi,

It seems like you've got the CX-9 Touring with the premium option. Attached is the list of options I put together when I was preparing my 2016 CX-9 purchase. Hope it helps.

Capture.JPG

I don't think you can have 18" wheels and anything higher than a Touring. GT and up are 20".

In Canada, if you wanted to, you could get 18" wheels and tires on the GT or Signature (if you paid for the option). Not sure if this is also possible in other markets.

Back