I did it again!

Wow Mike, not sure I've ever seen a diff housing do that before

Apparently it's pretty common in rear end collisions, as it's a designed failure point in case of significant drivetrain shock. Replacing the housing is cheaper than all the more expensive drivetrain bits. A search on miata.net has bunches of threads on it. Apparently potholes can be a significant enough impact to break it too, and I've had some doozies recently. Even crawling over the train tracks having a wheel drop off suddenly and the car's bracing slam onto the rail is alarming. Can't avoid that section of road unfortunately.

Insurance is covering it. Getting a rental car shortly and will be towed to a shop at some point today.

3,600rpm redline set, wastegate wired open, 1psi boost cut. I just have to make sure that they don't decide to just order a whole new pumpkin and toss my 3.63 gears! If I can get them to transfer the poly bushings, that would also be ideal. I might have a fight with that though. I'm ok with rubber bushings, as long as they are brand new. If they are used, I'm going to fight them on it.

Damn Mike! That is crazy and thankfully you were ok out there on the track!

Nice that insurance is covering it and def. watch for them to slip used bushings in there. When Kaila hit the curb earlier this year, I had to fight with my insurance company to replace the lca with a new one (I had just replaced them last November). At first they told me I had nothing to worry about as their replacement parts carried a warranty. When I pressed further and asked if that included the ball joints, I got the 'um, uh, er, no since it's a wear item'. Well guess what then, you are putting a new one on the car not one with unknown mileage on it. Insurance = racket!

/end rant

$1,512 estimate, and he sees that he can just replace the housing, so my 3.63 gear will remain. He won't commit to being able to transfer the bushings, but he will give me a call once the diff is out of the car to discuss it. 8 business days.

I guess I didn't update. They had the car for 4 days total, saved my gears and my bushings, and even gave me the MSM differential pumpkin that they pulled the replacement housing from. Why they didn't just order the housing? I have no idea. But now I have a spare MSM diff out of the whole deal.

I also discovered that my clutch is giving up. At peak torque more than ~80% throttle, the clutch breaks free. If I hold off on hard throttle till past peak torque it will hold fine, but I've been driving around avoiding full throttle for a few weeks. It will get replaced sometime over the winter.

And just picked up a 1991 Celica GTS for a winter beater. 326,000 miles, has been sitting for a year, brakes are bad, brake fluid is black, thermostat is stuck open, a shock is dead, the paint is badly faded, the interior rattles like crazy, and there may be rodents...but the engine and transmission are still solid and it only set me back $700. Just picked up all new pads, coolant, brake fluid, thermostat, belts, oil, filter, and rotors showing up later this week. Once it's solid and passes safety inspection, the MSM is going to go up on jacks for a bit to address a few things.

Actually, only $153 in parts and fluids so far, mostly because the pads and rotors are just basic dd economy stuff to get me past inspection. I may swap pads later this winter, depending on how these feel, which i expect is poor but sufficient. I won't be driving the car hard at all, so not as concerned about performance. I was going add spark plugs, till i noticed that it was showing them as an exact fit for both the MSM and the Celica, and I have a new set of those plugs already laying around.

$22.72 a month in insurance, I should be able to get ~30mpg on regular, which will be around $60 a month saved in gas.

I doubt i'll keep it very far into spring, but I don't know yet. I expect I will use it as a peanuts trade in on an NC, RX-8 or Boxster, but might just sell private party. Which with an active inspection sticker and recent maintenance all around, I can probably get more than I paid for it. Dunno yet, but I basically can't lose any appreciable money on it.

IMG_20141101_171242.jpg

Yeah, I saw Fab9 replied to you yesterday in the thread, but who knows if he is going to follow through. My personal experience tells me that you will have to keep pestering him...

Ya mike, I'm good at being a pest, ask robin [emoji12]
The cops is "coil on plug" set up for the msm I bought it off mike because it doesn't work with the hydra. I'm not going hydra so good for me! They should provide a better spark, and many of the new cars are coming to market this way now the new miata skyactive engine has cops

Yes. I happened to be looking at the 16 miata engine at the time and there they were

Yup, the P5 has them too.

That winter beater is coming along nice Mike. Come Springtime you just may want to keep her. lol How are the neighbors liking it? You've mentioned before about the issues with parking a car outside over night.

It's in the garage, so no neighbor comments. My wife has been living in MD since September, and won't be coming back, so the garage space was available. And it's why I Had to get a winter beater, since I couldn't use her 2 any more.

I'm actually most likely to just flip the car once the title comes in (another month+ due to a DMV snafu) and put the money toward a 2005-2006 Tacoma V6 w/ tow package. A several good ones in the area and it has a lot of practicality provided. I will need a tow vehicle come spring anyway for track stuff, not to mention being useful to tow the MSM over to the new place in March when I move since it's hard to ferry 2 cars with 1 person. Not to mention useful when moving in March in general with boxes and stuff, and it still gets ~20mpg highway which is acceptable on days i might have to use it to get in to the office. It will allow me to focus on other stuff.

Still going to keep working on the Celica in the mean time though, plenty I can do to up it's value with some elbow grease.

In other news, left rear wheel bearing has failed on the MSM, likely thanks to the diff failure. Front failure are common on tracked miata's, but rears are rare unless you are putting 2+ lateral Gs on the car, or some massive torque like an LS3. My diff failure is the only logical reason i can come up with why i had a rear fail.

Got some money on a side contract coming in that will be used to replace the clutch, rear main seal (while they are in there), and both rear wheel bearings (and the rest probably toward that Tacoma)

Back