HVAC Knob has a mind of its own

Flyersguy172

:
none
Hi All,

2015 CX-5 AWD with about 9k miles on it, purchased November 2015. Tonight when I got in the car I noticed a good layer of ice/condensation on the front windshield, so naturally I turned decided to turn on the defroster. My CX-5 does not have the auto climate control, it has the old fashioned knobs that you manually set the temperature/fan speed/fan setting with. When I turned the knob on the right to the Defrost setting (which is the setting on the end of the dial), the knob automatically turned itself back UP to the setting above as soon as I took my hand off it. I turned it again to defrost, and again the knob automatically turned itself back up one notch. I did this about 6 or 7 times and finally it stayed on defrost. The issue I have is that the setting above is not full defrost, it's heat plus defrost, so if I'm trying to defrost my windshield this isn't going to be very helpful.

Would anyone know what could be causing this? Are these knobs somehow connected to a vacuum system? I've owned quite a few cars and I've never had one where the knob just moved itself. I'm thinking this is going to have to go back to the dealer.

Sounds like the dealer needs to adjust it so it stays put! Not normal.

Hi All,

2015 CX-5 AWD with about 9k miles on it, purchased November 2015. Tonight when I got in the car I noticed a good layer of ice/condensation on the front windshield, so naturally I turned decided to turn on the defroster. My CX-5 does not have the auto climate control, it has the old fashioned knobs that you manually set the temperature/fan speed/fan setting with. When I turned the knob on the right to the Defrost setting (which is the setting on the end of the dial), the knob automatically turned itself back UP to the setting above as soon as I took my hand off it. I turned it again to defrost, and again the knob automatically turned itself back up one notch. I did this about 6 or 7 times and finally it stayed on defrost. The issue I have is that the setting above is not full defrost, it's heat plus defrost, so if I'm trying to defrost my windshield this isn't going to be very helpful.

Would anyone know what could be causing this? Are these knobs somehow connected to a vacuum system? I've owned quite a few cars and I've never had one where the knob just moved itself. I'm thinking this is going to have to go back to the dealer.

I had the exact same problem on my 2015 CX-5 AWD. It would not stay in the defrost position when the vehicle interior was cold. Once everything was warmed up inside the defrost knob stayed in position without any problem. The dealer simply replaced the actuating cable that goes from the knob control to the defrost/air mix box. I was told that there was a group of cables that were made slightly too short.(detect)

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem on my 2015 CX-5 AWD. It would not stay in the defrost position when the vehicle interior was cold. Once everything was warmed up inside the defrost knob stayed in position without any problem. The dealer simply replaced the actuating cable that goes from the knob control to the defrost/air mix box. I was told that there was a group of cables that were made slightly too short.(detect)

Thanks, I will mention this when I bring it to the dealer

Hi All,

Mine does it, too. I just write it off as being a cheap SUV and motor on. It works if I hold it for a second, no big deal.

Back